Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

What would be a cool birthday gift for a 15 yr old girl??

What would be a cool birthday gift for a 15 yr old girl??

Old Jun 20th 2007, 10:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would be a cool birthday gift for a 15 yr old girl??

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I was going to suggest that but thought it might be naff at home, nice to hear it isn't! Also charm bracelets apparently are all back in. My daughter was three last month and a friend of mine bought her a tiny solid gold heart on a chain, it is just adorable! Shakh do that!! infact get all three of them a piece of your heart
My mum bought them charm bracelets from the Gold Souk in February!!
Kids today, spoiled or what!!
Old Jun 20th 2007, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

Attila the Mouse has much to be proud ofAttila the Mouse has much to be proud ofAttila the Mouse has much to be proud ofAttila the Mouse has much to be proud ofAttila the Mouse has much to be proud ofAttila the Mouse has much to be proud ofAttila the Mouse has much to be proud ofAttila the Mouse has much to be proud ofAttila the Mouse has much to be proud ofAttila the Mouse has much to be proud ofAttila the Mouse has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
I'm so out of touch with the world of teen-agers nowadays, and I need to buy my eldest a present (she's 15 on June 26).

I thought she might like one of those new i-pod video thingies??

I bought her a lap-top at X-mas, a mobile last year. She does like designer clothes, but it's always a risk with sizes etc (I've been lucky so far - got her a Kenzo outfit that she liked & that fitted!!).

Anyone got insight into the mind of a hormonal teenage female??
ME!!!!
Old Jun 20th 2007, 11:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jun 20th 2007, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

Attila the Mouse has much to be proud ofAttila the Mouse has much to be proud ofAttila the Mouse has much to be proud ofAttila the Mouse has much to be proud ofAttila the Mouse has much to be proud ofAttila the Mouse has much to be proud ofAttila the Mouse has much to be proud ofAttila the Mouse has much to be proud ofAttila the Mouse has much to be proud ofAttila the Mouse has much to be proud ofAttila the Mouse has much to be proud of

Don't think BC would be too happy though!
Old Jun 20th 2007, 11:30 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Attila the Mouse
Don't think BC would be too happy though!
I don't mind at all!

if you get their names in arabic they might have an experience like I did years ago. South Shields has a huge arab population, mainly Yemeni's who settled there years ago. I had my name chain on and called into the shop for probably wine or something, the guy took the money and then said thanks DUBAI!! turns out my chain says Dubai and not my 'real' name.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 11:32 am
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

I don't mind at all!

if you get their names in arabic they might have an experience like I did years ago. South Shields has a huge arab population, mainly Yemeni's who settled there years ago. I had my name chain on and called into the shop for probably wine or something, the guy took the money and then said thanks DUBAI!! turns out my chain says Dubai and not my 'real' name.
Suppose it could have been worse
Old Jun 20th 2007, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't mind at all!

well i can see how they're spelt the same...
Old Jun 20th 2007, 11:50 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jvr20
well i can see how they're spelt the same...
apparently there is a vowel in the wrong place?
Old Jun 20th 2007, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute

apparently there is a vowel in the wrong place?
Hmm. I'm only a beginner but i suppose they could have put a yaaw between the 'd' and the 'b' to make it clearer but even then it would only be an approximation...
Old Jun 20th 2007, 11:57 am
Concierge

Hmm. I'm only a beginner but i suppose they could have put a yaaw between the 'd' and the 'b' to make it clearer but even then it would only be an approximation...
I might wear it tomorrow
Old Jun 20th 2007, 12:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

yatakallam 3arabee bitallakah, ya akhee. Ma' shallah!

How long have you been learning???
Old Jun 20th 2007, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

yatakallam 3arabee bitallakah, ya akhee. Ma' shallah!

How long have you been learning???
well i got the script more or less sorted. as for the actual language, not very far at all as I don't deal with any Arabic speakers at work and outside work it's only the laundry where it would even help. So I'd say my limit was the smaller numbers and a few pleasantries

anywhere else I've worked, I've made a real effort to get by with the local language but then again in other places that was helpful and possible (i.e. there were locals to practise with). I'm slowly realising that there's little point even trying here. Probably be different in a place like Egypt for example...
Old Jun 20th 2007, 12:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

you'd be better off learning tegaluk (is that even the right word???) - the Keralite language. Statistically, it's the widest spoken language in the UAE!

(my efforts at Arabic aren't much better - I can read it fine, but don't have the vocab to be fluent. I can just about get away with passing off as an Arab in restaurants & with traffic cops!)
Old Jun 20th 2007, 12:40 pm
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with the girls on the jewellery. I bought a beautiful white gold chain with a stone for my sister's birthday when I went home last year. It only cost 1000dhs and she loved it. Only problem is they all liked it Will be expensive going home next time! Either that or the iPod thingy ... teenagers love gadgets.

Lucky girl having you as a daddy
Old Jun 20th 2007, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

you'd be better off learning tegaluk (is that even the right word???) - the Keralite language. Statistically, it's the widest spoken language in the UAE!

(my efforts at Arabic aren't much better - I can read it fine, but don't have the vocab to be fluent. I can just about get away with passing off as an Arab in restaurants & with traffic cops!)
you mean Malayalam - not a chance.