Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

What The US Thinks Of The UAE ports

What The US Thinks Of The UAE ports

Old Aug 31st 2009, 5:34 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default What The US Thinks Of The UAE ports

Congressman Brad Sherman, Democrat of California), who heads the House Subcommittee on Terrorism, Nonproliferation and Trade, says that Ras al-Khaimah and other U.A.E. ports have been “utilized by smuggling networks to assist Iran’s weapons programs and its nuclear program.”

Nice.

This article purports to be about sailing. It says a lot more about the way Americans think about the UAE...

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/30/sp....html?_r=3&hpw
Old Aug 31st 2009, 5:47 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What The US Thinks Of The UAE ports

It says a lot more about just how narrow-minded and insular the Americans are.

-
Old Aug 31st 2009, 6:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow

-
could quite easily be true though. Security at the main port in RAK was very poor. I'm sure that in the small ports handling Dhows there will be next to no security.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 6:39 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
could quite easily be true though. Security at the main port in RAK was very poor. I'm sure that in the small ports handling Dhows there will be next to no security.
Little ports the world over are pretty porous from what I've seen, whether in RAK, Oman or Scotland... I wonder what proof they have that they have "assist Iran’s weapons programs and its nuclear program"

assist is quite a strong word to use here as it suggests involvement rather than passive lack of security...
Old Aug 31st 2009, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
I know there is pressure to move the dhows from Dubai creek into a purpose built facility.

All well and good, but a little bit of character will be lost.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 7:20 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Having sailed between the UK and France on yachts many times, I can tell you that there is negligible security in the small ports. I am sure the same applies the world over.

-
Old Aug 31st 2009, 7:33 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

-
Indeed...and for all that they are not even a tenth as narrow minded and insular as the people from this region. And the US files more patents for new inventions and wins more nobel prizes than any other nation on the planet...

N.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Just some guy trying to impress his fellow Americans.

"See, I know the names of two other countries, apart from the USA and Africa."
Old Aug 31st 2009, 6:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
Little ports the world over are pretty porous from what I've seen, whether in RAK, Oman or Scotland... I wonder what proof they have that they have "assist Iran’s weapons programs and its nuclear program"

assist is quite a strong word to use here as it suggests involvement rather than passive lack of security...
I wonder what proof they have that they have "assist Iran’s weapons programs and its nuclear program"

None, but he's a Democrat. He's only saying what Hillary told him to say......... she positively hates the Arab world.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 6:44 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Having sailed between the UK and France on yachts many times, I can tell you that there is negligible security in the small ports. I am sure the same applies the world over.

-
Same with the Woolwich ferry
Old Aug 31st 2009, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

Humph. any well researched politican commenting on the Middle East would know UAE's relations/outstanding issues with Iran wouldn't even support such a theory.

On a side note however, there is definately x-Hormuz Straights smuggling going on up the road in Khasab. I have seen them coming over whilst out diving in the most Northern most islands up there. But only in small fast boats. Border controls - land or marimime will always be on catch up here, given the number of non-sponsored economic migrants seeking work. I suspect the maritime borders will have to "buck up" next, now that the land fence is up in the "choke points".
Old Aug 31st 2009, 9:05 pm