Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

What is September going to bring?

What is September going to bring?

Old Aug 30th 2017, 6:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is September going to bring?

Originally Posted by Scamp
I'm interested in a few cars at the moment but I can't bring myself to visit showrooms to find out any rough prices.

Take Dodge for example. I've emailed asking for rough price range for a the Durango because they look sick.
Nobody will tell me. Have to book an appointment. Don't want to do that. Don't want to waste my time or theirs if it's way out of budget etc.

Thanks for the link
A Durango looks sick?

**** me, you need to take a look at yourself.

Car dealers annoy me though, they never seem to want to be helpful.

Last edited by Millhouse; Aug 30th 2017 at 6:48 am.
Old Aug 30th 2017, 6:51 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
A Durango looks sick?

**** me, you need to take a look at yourself.

Car dealers annoy me though, they never seem to want to be helpful.
You drive/drove an FJ. You're not allowed to comment.

Car dealers aren't alone in not wanting to take money sometimes. Bizarre.
Old Aug 30th 2017, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

I'm interested in a few cars at the moment but I can't bring myself to visit showrooms to find out any rough prices.

Take Dodge for example. I've emailed asking for rough price range for a the Durango because they look sick.
Nobody will tell me. Have to book an appointment. Don't want to do that. Don't want to waste my time or theirs if it's way out of budget etc.

Thanks for the link
Use Drive Arabia for indicative prices
Old Aug 30th 2017, 6:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing
Use Drive Arabia for indicative prices
thank you
Old Aug 30th 2017, 9:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Merger of two AD based real estate developers announced.

Abu Dhabi property firms plan merger as market struggles | ZAWYA UAE Edition
Old Sep 14th 2017, 7:16 am
Account Closed

Did anyone go to Cityscape?

I've not been to the last couple, they got boring.
Apparently you could actually buy at this one, which is the first since the big financial crash.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 5:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Did anyone go to Cityscape?

I've not been to the last couple, they got boring.
Apparently you could actually buy at this one, which is the first since the big financial crash.
Didn't go... but i know people trying to sell off-plan real estate and "hard" is an understatement, apparently.

I can't say I've felt much change really, projects still seem to be cracking on although retail still seems very difficult.

My little garage told me yesterday that he's had around a 25% drop in European customers.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 6:06 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Didn't go... but i know people trying to sell off-plan real estate and "hard" is an understatement, apparently.

I can't say I've felt much change really, projects still seem to be cracking on although retail still seems very difficult.

My little garage told me yesterday that he's had around a 25% drop in European customers.
It's becoming more insular. We struggle to get approval for people to work for us on projects for big local developers unless they have local experience. They are really pushing back hard against people without not just UAE, but Dubai experience.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Why? What difference does it make if the candidate doesn't know how to shout loudly enough at the office boy when the karak/tea/coffee is too cold?

It's becoming more insular. We struggle to get approval for people to work for us on projects for big local developers unless they have local experience. They are really pushing back hard against people without not just UAE, but Dubai experience.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 7:22 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Why? What difference does it make if the candidate doesn't know how to shout loudly enough at the office boy when the karak/tea/coffee is too cold?
Many reasons;

Because they can demand such things for fun.
They see value in knowing the local market.
Fresh to the region = long time to learn.
Municipality approvals / nuances different.
Understanding of what a local contractor will / won't try.
" " " " can / can't do. etc.
Procurement knowledge / pricing knowledge.

Lots of sensible reasons where local experience is very helpful.
Lots of sensible reasons that we could / can use to get around but often don't have or win the argument.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 8:38 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Many reasons;

Because they can demand such things for fun.
They see value in knowing the local market.
Fresh to the region = long time to learn.
Municipality approvals / nuances different.
Understanding of what a local contractor will / won't try.
" " " " can / can't do. etc.
Procurement knowledge / pricing knowledge.

Lots of sensible reasons where local experience is very helpful.
Lots of sensible reasons that we could / can use to get around but often don't have or win the argument.
Is the market rate for construction guys dropping or rising (if selecting from such tight criteria)?
I'm getting a mail or two per month about roles in UAE, but I can't tell if it's a general trawl, an attempt to push me candidates to India or genuine.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 9:55 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Is the market rate for construction guys dropping or rising (if selecting from such tight criteria)?
I'm getting a mail or two per month about roles in UAE, but I can't tell if it's a general trawl, an attempt to push me candidates to India or genuine.
Dropping. We won't be offering big increases to get guys to move. If we're offering a project which is 2,3,4yrs long, that's the incentive, not a jump from 40 to 45k (for example).

There's stuff happening here, but the constant talking down of the market is 'no smoke without fire' sort of situation I believe.

Post Expo / Qatar WC....might be desperate.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 10:27 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Dropping. We won't be offering big increases to get guys to move. If we're offering a project which is 2,3,4yrs long, that's the incentive, not a jump from 40 to 45k (for example).

There's stuff happening here, but the constant talking down of the market is 'no smoke without fire' sort of situation I believe.

Post Expo / Qatar WC....might be desperate.
Makes sense, I'm seeing more interest in India now coming from the ME area. People must be looking around, if things are becoming stagnant.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 10:31 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Makes sense, I'm seeing more interest in India now coming from the ME area. People must be looking around, if things are becoming stagnant.
Data suggests that it's the India-type countries that will grow the quickest in the next few years. Hardly surprising, they have to do something with all those people sooner or later, right?

We're pumping efforts into growing it.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

frequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to all

Interesting.

http://gulfnews.com/business/property/bespoke-home-finance-to-boost-dubai-realty-1.2090084

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.