Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

What I like about Dubai so far

What I like about Dubai so far

Old Sep 10th 2011, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

Elmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud of
Default What I like about Dubai so far

What I like so far

LuLu's still sells OMO washing powder - banned in UK for PC reasons, still makes me laugh

The sign in LuLu's stating "We will shave your coconuts for you, but no more than 3 and strictly for domestic purposes" - did somone try to start an industrial process of making welcome mats on the cheap?

The fact that I can walk to my local convenience store at 2 am and not get my face smashed in.

The fact that I can go into my local convenience store at 2 am and ask for sausages using the voice of the "Thats Life" dog, without any one realising.

The fact that I can tell the locals with a straight face that the recent riots in the UK were nothing compared with the Trumpton and Cambell Wick Green riots 10 years ago.

The fact that I can go to a nightclub and leave at 3 am without getting my face smashed in.

Joining in the head wobble during meetings with one of my teams who are mostly from a certain sub continent.

My security guard at work calls me Mr Elmer as do most of the support staff.

The view from my rooftop pool of the Burj

The fact that I am so privilaged to enjoy all of the above.

Last edited by Elmer Fudd; Sep 10th 2011 at 2:29 pm.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 2:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What I like about Dubai so far

Originally Posted by Elmer Fudd

The fact that I can go into my local convenience store at 2 am and ask for sausages using the voice of the "Thats Life" dog, without any one realising.
That is brilliant!
Old Sep 10th 2011, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

What I like so far

LuLu's still sells OMO washing powder - banned in UK for PC reasons, still makes me laugh
Surely not!
Old Sep 10th 2011, 7:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

If there is a Mrs. Fudd, have you notified her about the local availability of OMO?
If so, have you hidden your 12 bore? You might be a dud shot, but an Irate Mrs. can have a worringly accurate shot!
Old Sep 10th 2011, 7:41 pm
Banned

Perthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to all

What I like so far

The sign in LuLu's stating "We will shave your coconuts for you, but no more than 3 and strictly for domestic purposes" - did somone try to start an industrial process of making welcome mats on the cheap?

The fact that I can walk to my local convenience store at 2 am and not get my face smashed in.

The fact that I can tell the locals with a straight face that the recent riots in the UK were nothing compared with the Trumpton and Cambell Wick Green riots 10 years ago.

The fact that I can go to a nightclub and leave at 3 am without getting my face smashed in.

Joining in the head wobble during meetings with one of my teams who are mostly from a certain sub continent.

never happened to me in 20 years of clubbing in London and Brum, bit over the top hey thats what people do though when they leave the UK so I will let you off. makes them feel better about their move.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 9:34 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OleJanx
If there is a Mrs. Fudd, have you notified her about the local availability of OMO?
If so, have you hidden your 12 bore? You might be a dud shot, but an Irate Mrs. can have a worringly accurate shot!

Isn't that the same thing??

A blunder bus
Old Sep 10th 2011, 9:44 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
That is brilliant!
Loved it too but I'm trying to be more like the masses and less off the wall-too,too boring though-so glad you remarked on it's brilliance.
It used to be in Abu Dhabi,when you walked into the convenience store anytime during the wee sma hours and ask for sausages-they talked back in the Esther Rantzen voice -porkorbeewf Deshmond?
Not the sausages,the staff.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 7:13 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, man, they've got to do better on that one! My cleaner refers to Mr Kitty as "Sir Kitty", which cracks me up every time. It's bad enough me being called "Ma'm"... lordy me!
Old Sep 11th 2011, 7:31 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Why was OMO banned in the UK?
Old Sep 11th 2011, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

It wasn't banned....it was withdrawn due to poor sales.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 9:14 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh
It wasn't banned....it was withdrawn due to poor sales.
No it wasn't... in the UK, it's branded as Persil - have you not noticed the packaging is exactly the same?! The thing is, Persil can't really trade in France because it means "Parsley" in French and that would be an even dafter name for a washing powder than OMO... and French supermarkets have a large presence in the Arab world, ergo..
Old Sep 11th 2011, 10:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
No it wasn't... in the UK, it's branded as Persil - have you not noticed the packaging is exactly the same?! The thing is, Persil can't really trade in France because it means "Parsley" in French and that would be an even dafter name for a washing powder than OMO... and French supermarkets have a large presence in the Arab world, ergo..
Err? Are you sure about that, then? When I used to go to Calais on a booze-cruise, one of the things I brought back was big boxes of Persil, complete with French instructions and no English at all on the box - and before you ask, it was a third of the price it was in U.K.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 10:27 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

What I like so far

I brought a large box of OMO for AED15 which I thought was quite cheap.

How much do you usually pay for a big OMO???

N,
Old Sep 11th 2011, 12:45 pm
ex-expat

Originally Posted by OleJanx
Err? Are you sure about that, then? When I used to go to Calais on a booze-cruise, one of the things I brought back was big boxes of Persil, complete with French instructions and no English at all on the box - and before you ask, it was a third of the price it was in U.K.
OK, I am officially a sad puppy...

they're both owned by Unilever... so yup, market specific branding... just like Jif (the cleaning cream) is Cif in the rest of the world... although they've now changed it in the UK too... and Downy is the US and ME version of Lenor.

There, you learn something new every day!