Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

What do you love most about being home?

What do you love most about being home?

Old Jul 23rd 2013, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

silversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud of
Default What do you love most about being home?

After several weeks back home in bonny Scotland here are some of the things I find I love returning to:
1. bacon sandwiches on white bread
2. fresh air
3. crap but fabulous daytime television
4. walking to and sitting outside a beer garden with friends
5. A cold pint of strawberry and lime Rekordlig on a hot summer's day!
6. And most of all - the sudden downpour of rain today and the realisation that yup it's almost time to return to Dubai!
Old Jul 24th 2013, 3:21 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you love most about being home?

Ill tell you in a couple if weeks once in back in the uk. Must say I'm looking forward to a break from 45+ everyday
Old Jul 24th 2013, 3:39 am
Forum Regular

raining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to all

Rain and fresh air
Being able to put bottles of wine in the trolley whilst food shopping
Proper pubs / bars
Not hearing the word ''ma'amsir''
Little independent shops instead of malls
Being able to go for a walk / going running outside.

I don't have plans to go back this summer because of other commitments but even a week away from here right now is looking very attractive...
Old Jul 24th 2013, 3:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by silversilver
After several weeks back home in bonny Scotland here are some of the things I find I love returning to:
1. bacon sandwiches on white bread
2. fresh air
3. crap but fabulous daytime television
4. walking to and sitting outside a beer garden with friends
5. A cold pint of strawberry and lime Rekordlig on a hot summer's day!
6. And most of all - the sudden downpour of rain today and the realisation that yup it's almost time to return to Dubai!
What language is point number 5 please?
Old Jul 24th 2013, 4:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Sitting in a beer garden until 9pm.

That said, I can't say I miss being caught in the middle of a fight breaking out at a Tescos express. Punches were thrown around me and over my son (yes it happened on this visit).

And almost no wasps this year (big article in the news about massively declining wasp numbers). Got to be happy about that.
Old Jul 24th 2013, 4:51 am
BE Enthusiast

StublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to all

football
crispy roll with square sausage and tomato sauce.
real people and not plastic "I work in oil" types.
good houses at reasonable prices!!

BUT
Dubai is really my home now! (well, for now anyway)
Old Jul 24th 2013, 4:56 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Cairn o Mount on my bike.
Fish and Chips

err that's about it.
Old Jul 24th 2013, 4:59 am
BE Enthusiast

StublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to all

Originally Posted by commander
Cairn o Mount on my bike.
Fish and Chips

err that's about it.
I miss my fish and chips as well. although bobs at the marina is probably the closest in Dubai. good chippy pickles as well from Glasgow in there!
Old Jul 24th 2013, 5:03 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Mummy.
Old Jul 24th 2013, 5:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Theseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse

And almost no wasps this year (big article in the news about massively declining wasp numbers). Got to be happy about that.
Is it to do with the late very cold weather the uk had? I remember a ferw years ago there were no wasps because it warmed up and they all came out then went back to nearly freeezing which killed them all.

Great to not have wasps but you've got to worry about the bees.

I can't wait to get home a for a week or two to see my Grannie, and sit in her beautiful garden and possibly go dancing in the rain. Also going out for a night out and a round for 8 people coming to just over 20gbp.

My favourite chinese restaurant, where they think i'm a god because i ordered a bottle of champagne once, and the japanese which looks like a transport cafe but is possibly the best food i've ever eaten. Runner beans, curly kale, purple sprouting broccoli, pork chops.
Old Jul 24th 2013, 5:45 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Theseus
I can't wait to get home a for a week or two to see my Grannie, and sit in her beautiful garden and possibly go dancing in the rain. Also going out for a night out and a round for 8 people coming to just over 20gbp.
Where's that? Last time I was back in the UK, two years ago, a round for five people cost more than gbp 20. This was in Central London, but I was shocked at the price.
Old Jul 24th 2013, 5:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Theseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond repute

Watford - but in all honesty one person was on coke and it was in the dodgyest 80's bar you could imagine. Drinks were cheap. :-)

Cola that is not the other stuff.
Old Jul 24th 2013, 6:03 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Where's that? Last time I was back in the UK, two years ago, a round for five people cost more than gbp 20. This was in Central London, but I was shocked at the price.
I don't miss anything from UK if I am totally honest. My family don't bother coming here to visit me though I do have a cousin coming next week. I found it expensive last time I was there as well Meow and that wasn't central London prices.
Old Jul 24th 2013, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

1. Family

2. Friends

3. Proper boozers

4. Proper beer

5. Going to football

Once i've done the above 5 i can get back on the plane .
Old Jul 24th 2013, 6:18 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to all

I'm back a week on Friday. Going camping in the Lake District for a few nights and can't wait to spend sometime outside without it being way to hot!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.