What do you do when...

Old Feb 12th 2014, 3:43 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default What do you do when...

The money bucket is nowhere near where you want it to be, but the shit bucket is currently overflowing?

Suck it up, man up and get on with it?
Old Feb 12th 2014, 3:46 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you do when...

Originally Posted by Scamp
Is the correct answer whilst sharpening up the CV and rubbing the networking/linkedin genie.
Old Feb 12th 2014, 3:51 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by mikewot
Is the correct answer whilst sharpening up the CV and rubbing the networking/linkedin genie.
Can't mate. I left a company after 3ish years in two parts of the business to a new one, did a year and a half before moving here, year and half with the company here (which was the same as the first), before coming to this place, where I've been a year and a half.

Need to stay at another company for a decent period of time (I was hoping this place would be the one), not sure it's that fantastic at the moment for a number of reasons...money, internal bullshit, internal battles etc.

Very frustrating.
Old Feb 12th 2014, 3:55 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Need to stay at another company for a decent period of time
Why? Do you believe that other employers are looking for someone who is a keeper?
Old Feb 12th 2014, 3:58 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mikewot
Why? Do you believe that other employers are looking for someone who is a keeper?
Because I don't want to be a hypocrite...

More seriously, I want to, I want to stay somewhere and develop a bit more. This place should in theory give me that kind of opportunity. But in an invoice driven environment the other softer shit gets brushed aside way too easily.

I can't, at the moment, afford to get a part-time degree underway to change this, but once my rent savings are at the right level prior to July I will be looking at this as the first steps I suppose.
Old Feb 12th 2014, 4:02 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

The money bucket is nowhere near where you want it to be, but the shit bucket is currently overflowing?

if it was only ever the money bucket that filled up in this place there wouldn't even be a saying about the shit bucket.

pretty much suck it up and look for other opportunities.

If there is one place in the world people can get away with job hopping its here, hell for 90% of the population looking for another job every 18 months is virtually their full time profession
Old Feb 12th 2014, 4:09 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by shiva
if it was only ever the money bucket that filled up in this place there wouldn't even be a saying about the shit bucket.

pretty much suck it up and look for other opportunities.

If there is one place in the world people can get away with job hopping its here, hell for 90% of the population looking for another job every 18 months is virtually their full time profession
Fair comment.
Old Feb 12th 2014, 4:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Did someone put your stapler in jelly again, Scamp?
Old Feb 12th 2014, 4:27 am
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn’t have thought, at your age and in this part of the world, staying in a job for 2 years would be considered a short period of time. So, you’ve been at the current place 18 months, hold tight for another 3 months whilst doing some networking and considering what to do next (i.e. anther recruitment firm or in-company recruitment or something different?), in 3 months start seriously job hunting. Likely that’ll take circa 3 months for you to find a few things, get applications in, go through the interview process etc. You work your noticed period at the current place (30/60 days?), and you’re at 2+ years.

In the meantime any point in having a frank conversation with your boss about the current situation, and what works and doesn’t work?

Also, are you sure the grass is going to be greener on the other side? Very often it isn’t, and the devil you know can be better than the devil you don’t?
Old Feb 12th 2014, 4:46 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Did someone put your stapler in jelly again, Scamp?
Not quite. Trying to raise our invoice value in general, the trade off being used is cutting the value of invoices in one country - which just so happens to be my best country and only I work there and it made the majority of my revenue last year. Seems fair....

Originally Posted by the_red_sheep
I wouldn’t have thought, at your age and in this part of the world, staying in a job for 2 years would be considered a short period of time. So, you’ve been at the current place 18 months, hold tight for another 3 months whilst doing some networking and considering what to do next (i.e. anther recruitment firm or in-company recruitment or something different?), in 3 months start seriously job hunting. Likely that’ll take circa 3 months for you to find a few things, get applications in, go through the interview process etc. You work your noticed period at the current place (30/60 days?), and you’re at 2+ years.

In the meantime any point in having a frank conversation with your boss about the current situation, and what works and doesn’t work?

Also, are you sure the grass is going to be greener on the other side? Very often it isn’t, and the devil you know can be better than the devil you don’t?
Reasonable time scales, interesting.

He's kind of the problem, in a way, but that sounds a bit weak, he's not a problem, just the way he does some things sometimes and the way the whole ship is run is very frustrating. Just a few things in the last few weeks have made me wonder why I bother, trying to rake piss uphill is how it feels.

Grass is rarely ever greener, that's why I think it's suck it up and grab your bollocks time.
Old Feb 12th 2014, 5:28 am
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute

Not quite. Trying to raise our invoice value in general, the trade off being used is cutting the value of invoices in one country - which just so happens to be my best country and only I work there and it made the majority of my revenue last year. Seems fair....
If this change in policy is going to directly affect your ability to earn then do the sums, look at last year, apply the new procedure and show what difference it’d have on your income. Then do the same thing forecasting ahead for 2014 current system v’s new system. Take it to your boss and explain your concern. Most importantly though, in my opinion, suggest a solution or two to put on the table rather than expecting him to do it for you.
Old Feb 12th 2014, 5:47 am
Account Closed

If this change in policy is going to directly affect your ability to earn then do the sums, look at last year, apply the new procedure and show what difference it’d have on your income. Then do the same thing forecasting ahead for 2014 current system v’s new system. Take it to your boss and explain your concern. Most importantly though, in my opinion, suggest a solution or two to put on the table rather than expecting him to do it for you.
Agreed. No point whining without a suggestion.

My suggestion yesterday was that we didn't do it. We ask for better fee internally and don't discuss lowering India. At worst we keep it up our sleeve to then offer later when they unanimously reject what we propose.

The point being made is that the revenue lost from invoices to India will be made up by invoices elsewhere. My point is that India was nearly 40% of my revenue, the rest of the world was spread out across Middle East, CIS etc. The argument is that both sets will change by 19-20% minimum, India down, others up. Theoretically that means I'll be better off 10ish% of the time (if that makes sense). However, it is the next in a few things that have happened recently where my earnings / my potential are roundly ignored in favour of the boss.

It's just ****ing wank if I'm honest, I hate being the whiny **** in the office and I feel a bit like that at the moment. I earned more in my first job in Dubai than I did last year. I may as well go and sit in a big company, take a better basic, no bonus and be better off all round.

Proper throw everything in the air, shout "**** this shit" and walk out moment coming up in my mind. Time for a burner.
Old Feb 12th 2014, 5:57 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

It's close to the weekend so make sure you have some good things planned, with both Mrs Scamp and your mates so you can blow off some steam and see some positives.

BTW it's ARTE on Friday and if you are free come and say hi. Good things in stock and I'll be on my on most of the day so happy to listen to you and feed you chutney.
Old Feb 12th 2014, 6:00 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Meow
It's close to the weekend so make sure you have some good things planned, with both Mrs Scamp and your mates so you can blow off some steam and see some positives.

BTW it's ARTE on Friday and if you are free come and say hi. Good things in stock and I'll be on my on most of the day so happy to listen to you and feed you chutney.
Got the Sister arriving at midnight tonight, so this weekend is brunch and redfest, otherwise ARTE would have been on the list! It's always on the wrong weekend for me but appreciate the offer.

Gotta get through today unscathed and I'm off tomorrow and two days off next week, that'll definitely help.

Fingers crossed I'll come back less moany and get on with some shit!
Old Feb 12th 2014, 6:00 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

The sums would suggest that he will be 4% better off financially, so it would be hard to argue that the change is detrimental. Maybe my maths is off though

edit to say that perhaps the driving force for the change is coming from the other recruiters who may feel that you have getting something more than them until now.

Last edited by weasel decentral; Feb 12th 2014 at 6:24 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.