What to bring

Old Aug 25th 2009, 5:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default What to bring

Hi All,

Hope you're all well?

Right I'm packing- move out in two and a half weeks and starting to get excited! Although really not excited about packing- I have so much crap- think I have won the world record for managing to cram the most stuff into the smallest flat in the world!!

Anyway most of my stuff is going into storage or being flogged down the market (ebay) or given to charity shops, but I'm trying to work out what to take out with me- I only have a 40 kilo flight allowance so need to pack carefully- farewell my wardrobe of shoes- so what would you recommend I bring out?

I've got my laptop and portfolio as well to come which I'm hoping I can get through hand luggage as they weigh a ton! But will also have my handbag (large enough to fit a small polish family in and a small case -will they let me on with that much hand luggage? My portfolio is worth a couple of grand so really dont want to have to put it in the hold, same for laptop.

Any, "I wish I'd bought that with me as its impossible to get out here" suggestions?

And does anyone know how strict Emirates are with their baggage allowance?- I've only travelled with teeny bags before so not sure if I can go loads over without being charged excess.

Thanks for your help

Cat
xxx
Old Aug 25th 2009, 5:32 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to bring

40K...your going business class?

You should be ok...

I work with a couple of poles, and I think with some forcing, they would fit in their rig bag..

Good luck
Old Aug 25th 2009, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

Monsoonhunter is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi kittycat1,

have arrived in Dubai only 2 weeks ago and it was a bit massive on the job-side.

However, when walking through the shopping malls, I could not yet spot anything which is not available (compared to Germany). OK, maybe on has to be a bit flexible of soap brands and toothpaste, there is everything* available.

Well, errrrr, for sure, am not looking for lipstick items and the like...

Wish you a safe flight and a great start over here
Monsoonhunter

*) What I did not find yet is dried Mangos from the Philippines which I really love!!! (Still affected from the Philippines as I lived 3 years there...) However, would not really consider this to be a big problem and am sure, there are so many Filipinos here, I just must look a bit harder and ask around...
Old Aug 25th 2009, 6:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Monsoonhunter

*) What I did not find yet is dried Mangos from the Philippines which I really love!!! (Still affected from the Philippines as I lived 3 years there...) However, would not really consider this to be a big problem and am sure, there are so many Filipinos here, I just must look a bit harder and ask around...
My friend brought them over for afternoon tea last week, think she got them at Choitrams. I've seen them at Lulu.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Monsoonhunter
Hi kittycat1,

Yes they are available. We bought a handfull a few weeks ago. You have to look but these were in Lulu, AL Barsha!
Old Aug 25th 2009, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

rampant rabbits are not available
Old Aug 25th 2009, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

Monsoonhunter is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks a lot Jim!

Knew that it was just a matter of time to find out where to get them...

Regards
Monsoonhunter
Old Aug 25th 2009, 9:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

lol Sandboy- thank you for that but I actually knew that already- has been discussed at work several times as far as I understand there is a killing to be made in the sex toy market- if only they were allowed!
Old Aug 26th 2009, 8:39 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Hi All,

Hope you're all well?

Right I'm packing- move out in two and a half weeks and starting to get excited! Although really not excited about packing- I have so much crap- think I have won the world record for managing to cram the most stuff into the smallest flat in the world!!

Anyway most of my stuff is going into storage or being flogged down the market (ebay) or given to charity shops, but I'm trying to work out what to take out with me- I only have a 40 kilo flight allowance so need to pack carefully- farewell my wardrobe of shoes- so what would you recommend I bring out?

I've got my laptop and portfolio as well to come which I'm hoping I can get through hand luggage as they weigh a ton! But will also have my handbag (large enough to fit a small polish family in and a small case -will they let me on with that much hand luggage? My portfolio is worth a couple of grand so really dont want to have to put it in the hold, same for laptop.

Any, "I wish I'd bought that with me as its impossible to get out here" suggestions?

And does anyone know how strict Emirates are with their baggage allowance?- I've only travelled with teeny bags before so not sure if I can go loads over without being charged excess.

Thanks for your help

Cat
xxx

Even in business, the usual carry on allowance is a handbag plus a small case, but you'll probably get away with a handbag, laptop bag plus small case. I don't know where you are flying from but Gatwick check-in staff are very friendly if you are flying business or first. Be polite & friendly as you can always get away with more that way.

For checked-in luggage, you must not have more than 30 kilos per case, so if you have say 22 kilos in two cases they are unlikely to worry about it.

If you need some other items, why not send them by airfreight? There are a couple of companies with reasonable rates and it wouldn't cost you heaps to send yourself a few boxes with things you want. Do you want the website info?

Don't bother packing standard toiletries as they'll just use up your weight allowance. You can either buy them airside or when you get here. If you are a magazine reader buy yourself a few at the airport as UK magazines are pricey here.

But your duty-free boooze (& fags) when you land. Don't forget you can buy 4 litres of anything so use your full allowance.

Good luck.

-
Old Aug 26th 2009, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

954RR has a spectacular aura about954RR has a spectacular aura about954RR has a spectacular aura about

Don’t forget a big bag of patience. It works out very useful when trying to get through the red tape.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 8:52 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 954RR
Don’t forget a big bag of patience. It works out very useful when trying to get through the red tape.
And that's precisely why she needs to buy her full duty free allowance.

-
Old Aug 26th 2009, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

954RR has a spectacular aura about954RR has a spectacular aura about954RR has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Meow
And that's precisely why she needs to buy her full duty free allowance.

-
Yes quite agree a colleague from Brussels arrived today with a Red Cross parcel of JD for me. Lifesaver
Old Aug 26th 2009, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

Amnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really nice

I have called BA (as that is who I am flying with) and I will be taking one of those roll on hand luggage bags, which I will put my laptop in, plus some other heavy bits and bobs that I don't want taking up space in my suitcase). And I'm also allowed my guitar too. They've said if I arrive with a rucksack, I should also be OK.

So, from you say - it sounds like you'll be fine with your hang luggage

If you need some other items, why not send them by airfreight? There are a couple of companies with reasonable rates and it wouldn't cost you heaps to send yourself a few boxes with things you want. Do you want the website info?
-
Yes please, some info on Airfreight would be helpful
Old Aug 26th 2009, 9:53 am
Bored liberal

www.allfreight.co.uk

www.excess-baggage.com

-
Old Aug 26th 2009, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

Amnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really nice

Thank you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.