Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

What? Another car thread?

What? Another car thread?

Old Sep 17th 2017, 7:59 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What? Another car thread?

My mate in Dubai had an old Chevy Yukon. He drove it to the ground. It was awesome. We tore up the desert and Omani mountains in it. Many, many, many wonderful camping trips and plenty of space to hide the booze for the border crossings.
Old Sep 17th 2017, 8:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
The danger I have is the pick up trucks.

I went to the Jeep dealership and started looking at various motors. The Jeep's are all awful (apart from the SRT) and then almost ended up in some shit pick up truck, maybe next time.

The issue I have with the SRT is where I go from here.
I can, on the spot, find reasons to have a pick up and justify it in so many ways that the good lady generally ends up shocked, silent and stood in a daze wondering what she ever did in a past life to end up with such an idiot...I mean genius.

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Murdered out with spinners!

We've discussed this previously!

DO IT! NOW!
Oh god. I'll start looking.
Old Sep 17th 2017, 8:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I can, on the spot, find reasons to have a pick up and justify it in so many ways that the good lady generally ends up shocked, silent and stood in a daze wondering what she ever did in a past life to end up with such an idiot...I mean genius.
For me it was the opposite. I was looking at Standard Grand Cherokees, Prados etc. She said... no baby, you can't be having something so boring, get this... pointing to some massive truck
Old Sep 17th 2017, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Quite unlike my parents. Every car my father suggested, my mother hesitated and said: 'it's awfully expensive, isn't it?'

Despite that they only ever looked at and drove Volvos.

For me it was the opposite. I was looking at Standard Grand Cherokees, Prados etc. She said... no baby, you can't be having something so boring, get this... pointing to some massive truck
Old Sep 17th 2017, 9:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Despite that they only ever looked at and drove Volvos.
I would never have guessed.
Old Sep 17th 2017, 9:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I would never have guessed.
I don't mind Volvo, Mum and Dad had one once.

My Mrs ****ing loves them.......Absolutely loves them.
Old Sep 17th 2017, 9:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I don't mind Volvo, Mum and Dad had one once.

My Mrs ****ing loves them.......Absolutely loves them.
We had a Volvo 340GL with the renault engine. Bought it new, it was towed twice in two weeks of owning it. After the early issues were fixed with the carb (which never really got sorted) it was OK. My brother finally killed it around 17 years later when he was driving back from some drugs fulled-festival with no money and had to make an oil or petrol decision. It overheated and seized somewhere on the M25.
Old Sep 17th 2017, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

We had a Volvo 960 estate that was kept going a long time as a car for us kids to use when visiting home from university / post graduate years. In its last year with us (year 14 I think) I was driving it and was going up a rather steep hill when the acceleration completely gave way and the car slipped back down. Country lane in the dark. Scary

The car went a few days later. Still have fond memories of it.

We had a Volvo 340GL with the renault engine. Bought it new, it was towed twice in two weeks of owning it. After the early issues were fixed with the carb (which never really got sorted) it was OK. My brother finally killed it around 17 years later when he was driving back from some drugs fulled-festival with no money and had to make an oil or petrol decision. It overheated and seized somewhere on the M25.
Old Sep 17th 2017, 10:10 am
Account Closed

17 years. Wow.

We had a gold estate, 740? Can't remember as was early 90's and I was very young...but it was one of the sporty ones with loads of toys. I ran the battery dead in an afternoon at a car boot sale playing with the electric windows and sunroof etc.
Old Sep 17th 2017, 10:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

17 years. Wow.

We had a gold estate, 740? Can't remember as was early 90's and I was very young...but it was one of the sporty ones with loads of toys. I ran the battery dead in an afternoon at a car boot sale playing with the electric windows and sunroof etc.
Thinking about it more, My bother was about 10 when we bought it and he killed it when he was around 19. So only 9 years or so.
Old Sep 17th 2017, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Those Volvos that look a bit like the old 480ES's look really smart, there is one parked next to me in the garage here and every time I look at it I think it looks smart.
Having said that just opposite there's a space that swaps between a Ferrari F12 TDF, a Rolls Ghost (in Grey/black, no chrome) and..... A Yaris.

Can't work that last one out.

Anyway that Volvo looks great.
Old Sep 17th 2017, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Not swayed by the new Grand Cherokee Trackhawk?

Top Gear

That could easily piss the G63 boys off - if you wanted to.
Old Sep 17th 2017, 10:53 am
Account Closed

Thinking about it more, My bother was about 10 when we bought it and he killed it when he was around 19. So only 9 years or so.
9 years is still a long time.

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing
Anyway that Volvo looks great.
A lot of the new ones really. Hard to argue with.
Old Sep 17th 2017, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

This is the chappy

Old Sep 17th 2017, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

I like the XC60. Right size for me. Nice interiors.

If I ever get a nice car when I repatriate eventually it'll be either the XC60 or the Audi A4 Avant.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.