Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

What? Another car thread?

What? Another car thread?

Old Sep 12th 2017, 9:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What? Another car thread?

Originally Posted by Scamp
No. I'm fundamentally boring and sensible...coupled with unable to find anything with as good spec in it's category...multiplied by wanting to avoid plunging into big debt for a car....added to wanting to avoid buying something older, with higher mileage just to have a German badge.

I can get a very good spec Ford, brand new, for less money than a very good spec german type car with 10's of thousands of Km on it.
Did you consider a jeep grand Cherokee ?
Old Sep 12th 2017, 9:16 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

No. I'm fundamentally boring and sensible...coupled with unable to find anything with as good spec in it's category...multiplied by wanting to avoid plunging into big debt for a car....added to wanting to avoid buying something older, with higher mileage just to have a German badge.

I can get a very good spec Ford, brand new, for less money than a very good spec german type car with 10's of thousands of Km on it.
Don't forget to look at the Japanese brands, particularly Toyota. Absolutely tons of spec for reasonable money and very little depreciates here as slowly as Toyota. I am genuinely surprised by how little my Land Cruiser has slipped sine I got it.
Old Sep 12th 2017, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute

Indian middle manager is the Pajero, come on Exile, senior managers get the Prado.

Also.....came very flippin' close to a 210k second hand F-Pace in red with the sick sunroof. The Mrs was convinced too in fact.

Just a bit too pricey for me to drive one day a week.
Did you take it for a spin, please tell me you did ????
Old Sep 12th 2017, 10:38 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Did you consider a jeep grand Cherokee ?
Yep, disappointing. IDENTICAL interior to the Durango....which was disappointing. All I had to do was sit in it and realise it wasn't worth suffering just to have a V8.

Originally Posted by TheShed
Don't forget to look at the Japanese brands, particularly Toyota. Absolutely tons of spec for reasonable money and very little depreciates here as slowly as Toyota. I am genuinely surprised by how little my Land Cruiser has slipped sine I got it.
Did, insisted we look at the Fortuner or 2nd hand Prado's.
None are good I'm afraid. Doors made of paper and really poor quality inside. Function over pleasantry I found....until you get to the very, very expensive ones at the top of the Land Cruiser range.

Originally Posted by Dubaiexile
Did you take it for a spin, please tell me you did ????
I couldn't. I'd have bought it, I know it. Having driven the old man's F Type and had an XE as a hire car before.....I just knew it wouldn't be good to drive it and try to not walk out twirling it's keys.
Old Sep 12th 2017, 10:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, disappointing. IDENTICAL interior to the Durango....which was disappointing. All I had to do was sit in it and realise it wasn't worth suffering just to have a V8.
Interesting, I just bought an SRT and quite like the interior.
Old Sep 12th 2017, 10:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Interesting, I just bought an SRT and quite like the interior.
Ah, this is awkward.

Didn't you laugh at the Durango that you're now driving?
Old Sep 12th 2017, 10:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ah, this is awkward.

Didn't you laugh at the Durango that you're now driving?
Yes, I still don't like the look of the durango.
Old Sep 12th 2017, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

martinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond repute

175k for a 2 day a week motor. It ought to be something special. All that wedge just to drive sparingly what to every other Joe is a daily beater seems all the wrong way around. If it's a daily driver 100's of km a day then you need that simple no frills thrash it and trash it approach but for a weekendy motor it really should be much more of a bling mobile. So what if it needs work from time to time, some care and attention early on should minimise any risk and when it needs work, well there's a whole 5 days they get to do it in.

A good number of top end motors at even 8-10 years old can be every bit as good as a 2 year old cheapo
Old Sep 12th 2017, 11:51 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack

You're gonna spend 175K on a Ford.....

Take that 175K and buy something fruity secondhand..... anything!
+1 buy a ridiculous car you pussy
Old Sep 12th 2017, 12:05 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by martinbkk
175k for a 2 day a week motor. It ought to be something special. All that wedge just to drive sparingly what to every other Joe is a daily beater seems all the wrong way around. If it's a daily driver 100's of km a day then you need that simple no frills thrash it and trash it approach but for a weekendy motor it really should be much more of a bling mobile. So what if it needs work from time to time, some care and attention early on should minimise any risk and when it needs work, well there's a whole 5 days they get to do it in.

A good number of top end motors at even 8-10 years old can be every bit as good as a 2 year old cheapo
I know what you mean but I've spent most of my adult life being a dick and spraying cash around and doing what I want and buying the more expensive version.

It will get used probably 6 days a week.

4 by her to go to work and back
1 by me to a site I visit.
1 by me to golf on a Saturday.

So call it a normal amount.

In fact. I think we do something around the 20,000km a year, based on what I've done in this one....but has come down since I've been walking to work...but still pretty much average.
Old Sep 12th 2017, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute

I couldn't. I'd have bought it, I know it. Having driven the old man's F Type and had an XE as a hire car before.....I just knew it wouldn't be good to drive it and try to not walk out twirling it's keys.
Go back, you know you want to, it`s calling your name, you have abandoned it all for a life of tedium and mediocrity....it could be your last chance.....kid`s will come along and then that fleeting window is slammed fully in your face!!!

Old Sep 12th 2017, 12:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If when you park you car you don't look back as it as you're walking away, you're driving the wrong car. No one has ever looked back at their Explorer.
Old Sep 12th 2017, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
+1 buy a ridiculous car you pussy
Originally Posted by Dubaiexile
Go back, you know you want to, it`s calling your name, you have abandoned it all for a life of tedium and mediocrity....it could be your last chance.....kid`s will come along and then that fleeting window is slammed fully in your face!!!

If when you park you car you don't look back as it as you're walking away, you're driving the wrong car. No one has ever looked back at their Explorer.
It's a majority call I'm afraid!

Forget the Old Man Ford!
Old Sep 12th 2017, 12:35 pm
Account Closed

**** me.
Old Sep 12th 2017, 10:09 pm
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

Ok Scampi. For once I’ve read all of the posts and have something to say.

As you know, I drive pretty cool metal including my 9 YO XKR which I’ve owned since it came outta the factory. I have also had F brands in my garage.

When I bought the land cruiser Mrs Shed wanted something small and easy to drive so I bought the big guy.

I have driven Range rovers and other great utility vehicles and many other great cars, but the land cruiser (in our world) is a different level. It has every conceivable extra I can think of if you just want toys. I got it stuck up a dune up to its axles, presses a button, had a smoke and it was out and running again. I have driven it 800 Kma non stop and got out and went for dinner. Truly it’s an amazing vehicle. It’s a pile of dough but the deals now are stunning.

And now, the jag generally drives to the nursery because I bag the LC when in town. Why?

It’s blacked out and I can do virtually anything without getting a ticket.

I can park it (abandon it ) wherever I want without reprise. On sand, in car parks thanks to all round cameras, I could probably jus drive up the building and into the clients office and we’d be more comfortable than their Indian conference rooms.

It’s lost less than 20% of what I paid 19 months ago.

I can’t think of many countries where I could afford to insure it or put petrol in it. Carpe Diem. !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.