Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Are we all middle class now?

Are we all middle class now?

Old Feb 14th 2011, 11:31 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are we all middle class now?

I don't think of being any class at all, my family like Spugy's were all working class, they have all done well for themselves but I don't think they would attach any "label" to themselves at all.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 11:34 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
I must admit I can't stand people with bad table manners- however I have no idea which cutlery should be used for what-(other than what I learnt watching Pretty Woman) Ok I know a fish knife and fork and obviously a teaspoon is used for all puddings as it makes them last longer!
I'll show you, hun... you'll never be the same again! lol [nervous OCD-ish twitch]

Anyhow, touching upon something Spugsy said about "keeping up with the Jones'"... it strikes me that that can work every which way and is most certainly not a defining factor of "belonging" to whichever class. In fact, it feels a bit if the person's trying too hard and is unsure of where they actually "belong".

So Spugsy's example of ex-working class wannabe middle-class people having money and flaunting it in a bid to appear middle class actually smacks of being far off the mark... just as middle-class people wanting to flaunt their homely working-class roots don't quite make it either.

I guess it also expands to ethnicity and sexuality really... those confident and secure enough about who they actually are don't need to go shouting it from the rooftops in a bid to be accepted because in reality it doesn't matter how we're classified... we're all just normal people getting on with trying to live a halfway decent life.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 1:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I get a look from different angles.

My Mothers considers herself to be middle class, Daily Mail reading, Tory voting, Audi driving Single Mum. (until my sister and I grew up).

My Father came from humble starts, bunked off school in the early days but retired at 51 after selling his share in a computer business and now lives overseas happily retired. He definitely considers himself a hard working, slightly lucky working class man.

I get both sides from them. Having grown up in a place like Salisbury (small city, very middle class) a lot of the traits rub off, but I don't really place a lot of emphasis on the label for myself.

I went out with a girl at college in Winchester, huge house, Daddy was a lawyer but they had no money, all the upper middle class boxes ticked but never the cash...

Personally, I'm happy to look at others, hear what they think and almost always let someone pass judgement on me. But, I will work hard for my own money, I will try to be as rounded as possible and enjoy the things I enjoy. If preferring Rugby to Football or something else relatively trivial makes you more one way or the other then so be it.

In the words of the late, great Richard Pryor;

"You handle yours, I'll handle mine, Jack"
Old Feb 14th 2011, 1:11 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sross2203
I get a look from different angles.

My Mothers considers herself to be middle class, Daily Mail reading, Tory voting, Audi driving Single Mum. (until my sister and I grew up).

My Father came from humble starts, bunked off school in the early days but retired at 51 after selling his share in a computer business and now lives overseas happily retired. He definitely considers himself a hard working, slightly lucky working class man.

I get both sides from them. Having grown up in a place like Salisbury (small city, very middle class) a lot of the traits rub off, but I don't really place a lot of emphasis on the label for myself.

I went out with a girl at college in Winchester, huge house, Daddy was a lawyer but they had no money, all the upper middle class boxes ticked but never the cash...

Personally, I'm happy to look at others, hear what they think and almost always let someone pass judgement on me. But, I will work hard for my own money, I will try to be as rounded as possible and enjoy the things I enjoy. If preferring Rugby to Football or something else relatively trivial makes you more one way or the other then so be it.

In the words of the late, great Richard Pryor;

"You handle yours, I'll handle mine, Jack"
Old Feb 17th 2011, 4:41 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I don't think of being any class at all, my family like Spugy's were all working class, they have all done well for themselves but I don't think they would attach any "label" to themselves at all.
Hang on, Spugsy hasn't yet challenged my suggestion that, as his dad was a school teacher, he was not really working class. So what did your parents do?
Old Feb 17th 2011, 4:42 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Hang on, Spugsy hasn't yet challenged my suggestion that, as his dad was a school teacher, he was not really working class. So what did your parents do?
My Mother is a housewife, my Father is a Chief Engineer, Shipyard Manager
Old Feb 17th 2011, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

Elmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud of

QUOTE=Sandboy;9175193]if you've pissed outdoors in the past 12 months you're working class

I needed a pee during a pheasant shoot last month - my bladder did n't care what class I was!

Last edited by Elmer Fudd; Feb 17th 2011 at 6:50 pm.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 7:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

You're still ****ing peasants as far as I can see............

Old Feb 17th 2011, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

Elmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=shakh your bootie;9183583]You'[I]re still ****ing peasants as far as I can see............

I'm not a pheasant plucker, I'm a pheasant plucker's son.
I 'm only plucking pheasants 'till the pheasant plucker comes.

I'm not the pheasant plucker, I'm the pheasant plucker's mate
And I'm only plucking pheasants cos the pheasant plucker's late.

I'm not the pheasant plucker, I'm the pheasant plucker's wife,
And when we pluck together it's a pheasant plucking life!"

Repeat 3 or 4 times after a few beers!
Old Feb 17th 2011, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Spugsy
Well so is everyone's over here - I now earn good money and have nice holidays, but has that changed my class?

I'd hate to think I'm middle class to be honest.

John Lennon made tons of money, did he ever stop being working class?
http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-the_beatles.htm

Very working class!
Old Feb 17th 2011, 8:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Pfft. Only honkies have the notion of class in British society anyway.

Who ever heard of a Middle Class Paki, Darkie or Chink?
Old Feb 18th 2011, 6:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elmer Fudd
I needed a pee during a pheasant shoot last month - my bladder did n't care what class I was!
doesn't count if you had a boy to shake it for you
Old Feb 18th 2011, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular