Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Are we all middle class now?

Are we all middle class now?

Old Feb 14th 2011, 8:21 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are we all middle class now?

Originally Posted by The Dean
Trouble is, the barriers between income and class have become rather blurred.

Can you improve your socio-economic status with income? Good question.........

What is the socio-economic status of a working class Scouse lad who now earns about GBP 7 million per year (Wayne Rooney, say)? Working classes never earned that kind of money - couldn't earn that kind of money - until recently.........

Interesting point, but no matter what he earns or does, Wayne Rooney could never be anythng other than working class.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 8:24 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BurpusMe
Using the dictionary definition, I'd assume we're all middle class.

working class the social group consisting of people who are employed for wages, esp. in manual or industrial work

middle class the social group between the upper and working classes, including professional and business workers and their families

upper class the social group that has the highest status in society, esp. the aristocracy

However I can't escape the feeling that these socio-economic labels all are just an elaborate charade, used to self-pacify and stroke ones ego. Or maybe that's middle-class guilt talking.
As far as I'm concerned it's how you're raised, your mates, what you do with your money, what school you went to etc.

Both my parents were teachers so some claim I am middle class, but I've always seen myself as working class - a normal lad who goes to teh football, doesn't spend stupid money on things, talks with an accent and doesn't try to hide where I'm from.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 8:25 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
But your occupation is rather middle class, is it not? And Mrs S's too.
Well so is everyone's over here - I now earn good money and have nice holidays, but has that changed my class?

I'd hate to think I'm middle class to be honest.

John Lennon made tons of money, did he ever stop being working class?
Old Feb 14th 2011, 8:27 am
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by saudiflares
Do you get Middle Class Geordies?
Newcastle is a very different place to how it used to be, so much arts and amazing places to eat, go out and see - you'd be surprised. Clubs that only let certain people in and charge £12 a pint.

Would never happen in my day...
Old Feb 14th 2011, 8:28 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Why would you hate to think you're middle class?

What does it mean to you - to be middle class as opposed to working class? Your statement implies strong negative connotations associated with being middle class or above.

Originally Posted by Spugsy
Well so is everyone's over here - I now earn good money and have nice holidays, but has that changed my class?

I'd hate to think I'm middle class to be honest.

John Lennon made tons of money, did he ever stop being working class?
Old Feb 14th 2011, 8:29 am
W10

I thought the general class classifiers were related to education and employment rather than money.

Plenty of 'Upper Class' people don't have any money and plenty of working class people have a lot. There is of course, technically an underclass now too.

The UK is unhealthy obsessed with class though.

Old Feb 14th 2011, 8:30 am
Account Closed

That could be a middle class person, no?

You know - from a middle class perspective it's the working classes who spend stupid money on things they can't afford, from outlandish gypsy style weddings to fancy trainers and holidays in Costa Brava while the middle classes are left grumbling about high taxations and not being able to afford a holiday in years because of skyrocking school fees.

working class - a normal lad who goes to teh football, doesn't spend stupid money on things, talks with an accent and doesn't try to hide where I'm from.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 8:32 am
W10

Originally Posted by Ethos83

What does it mean to you - to be middle class as opposed to working class? Your statement implies strong negative connotations associated with being middle class or above.
Working class is a badge of honour. The 'honest' working class way of life is seen as a desirable one. The Manic's have made mention of this a few times...

Old Feb 14th 2011, 8:35 am
why ayeeeee man!

Because I've always seen myself as a normal working class Geordie lad. People in the Toon who claimed to be middle class when I was growing up were usualyl the 'keeping up with the jones' types who had a little bit of cash and tried to flaunt it, even though they'd been brought up in council houses.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 8:36 am
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by W10
I thought the general class classifiers were related to education and employment rather than money.

Plenty of 'Upper Class' people don't have any money and plenty of working class people have a lot. There is of course, technically an underclass now too.

Aye ore than likely, go to somewhere like Australia and there literally are no class barriers at all, everyone is the same, it's very refreshing.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 8:37 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10

That is probably true but the topic arises again and again. I am just curious about peoples' views. For those who have forgotten it was John Prescott who claimed that 'we are all middle class now' and even David Cameron has recently claimed to be middle class.

George Bernard Shaw said (in Pygmalion) "the moment an Englishman opens his mouth, another Englishman despises him". I suspect the same applies to other criteria too.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 8:45 am
Account Closed

Because they were brought up in council houses at one point they couldn't be middle class later? You're implying that if someone starts out life in one position they're doomed to remain in it for the rest of their lives.

This is where the silly notions of "gettin' above meself" comes from, and lord, is it a damaging attitude.

If you work hard and you achieved your success fairly, by all means spend it in ways that makes you happy. I'm sure there are people in the Toon who look at you and jeer because you're taking "posh" holidays to exotic locale, flaunting your newfound success and betraying the sensibilities of your "working class" background.

I agree with the above poster - people in Britain can be very, very silly about class attitudes and this applies to everyone up and down the class hierarchy.

Because I've always seen myself as a normal working class Geordie lad. People in the Toon who claimed to be middle class when I was growing up were usualyl the 'keeping up with the jones' types who had a little bit of cash and tried to flaunt it, even though they'd been brought up in council houses.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 8:48 am
Bored liberal

Now we are getting into the realms of social mobility.

I'd suggest that those who disapprove are often those with a chip on their shoulder.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 8:49 am
Account Closed

Oh, Australia has "classes." So does the US. It's just much more subtle and it's more culturally based than income based. The refreshing aspect of it is that there's hardly any class discrimination and people don't talk about class pride or be anti working, anti middle or anti upper class.

Aye ore than likely, go to somewhere like Australia and there literally are no class barriers at all, everyone is the same, it's very refreshing.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 8:51 am
why ayeeeee man!

Because they were brought up in council houses at one point they couldn't be middle class later? You're implying that if someone starts out life in one position they're doomed to remain in it for the rest of their lives.

This is where the silly notions of "gettin' above meself" comes from, and lord, is it a damaging attitude.

If you work hard and you achieved your success fairly, by all means spend it in ways that makes you happy. I'm sure there are people in the Toon who look at you and jeer because you're taking "posh" holidays to exotic locale, flaunting your newfound success and betraying the sensibilities of your "working class" background.

I agree with the above poster - people in Britain can be very, very silly about class attitudes and this applies to everyone up and down the class hierarchy.
I don't see why you would be 'doomed' to be working class?

Yeah I'm sure there is, but I think remembering where you're from and not losing sight (which happens a lot in Dubai) is the important thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.