VPN - fines

Old Jul 28th 2016, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute
Default VPN - fines

just came across this

If you get caught using a VPN in the UAE, you will face fines of up to $545,000

Using a VPN in the UAE is now prohibited and you could face fines of up to $545,000
Old Jul 28th 2016, 4:54 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VPN - fines

King El. Some companies' systems will only run on VPNs...presumably the threat's there only to deter terrorists (0.0001%) and people wanting to see tits and bums (99.9999%).
Old Jul 28th 2016, 7:18 pm
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
just came across this

If you get caught using a VPN in the UAE, you will face fines of up to $545,000

Using a VPN in the UAE is now prohibited and you could face fines of up to $545,000
Anything to get the cash in
Old Jul 29th 2016, 5:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
King El. Some companies' systems will only run on VPNs...presumably the threat's there only to deter terrorists (0.0001%) and people wanting to see tits and bums (99.9999%).
more there to ensure Du and Etisalat keep up their profit levels
Old Jul 29th 2016, 5:55 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
more there to ensure Du and Etisalat keep up their profit levels
Ah, yes. The Moroccan telcos (all 2 of them, I think) have banded together and banned Skype and the like. VPNs still work, though.
Old Jul 29th 2016, 6:18 am
Forum Regular

Kakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of light

The new law states that anyone who uses a VPN or proxy server can be imprisoned and fined between Dh500,000-Dh2,000,000 ($136,000-$545,000, £415,000, €495,000) if they are found to use VPNs fraudently.

Previously, the law was restricted to prosecuting people who used VPNs as part of an internet crime, but UK-based VPN and privacy advocate Private Internet Access says that the law has now changed to enable police in the UAE to go after anyone who uses VPNs to access blocked services, which is considered to be fraudulent use of an IP address.
So everybody using Whatsapp, or Chrome broswer on their Android phone, is now breaking the law and liable to a minimum fine of 500,000 AED.

Will Du just add this to my bill unannounced like they seem to do with various other random charges.?
Old Jul 29th 2016, 6:36 am
Banned

iggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond repute

How do i bash the bishop then?
Old Jul 29th 2016, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

Kakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of light

Carefully
Old Jul 29th 2016, 12:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kakawax
So everybody using Whatsapp, or Chrome broswer on their Android phone, is now breaking the law and liable to a minimum fine of 500,000 AED.

Will Du just add this to my bill unannounced like they seem to do with various other random charges.?
no whatsapp is ok, just not the voice function
Old Jul 29th 2016, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

Yes I heard some UAE ministries use Whatsapp for customers to contact them.

Well, that's it then.. I'm just going to have to go to the pub now to watch the football instead
Old Jul 29th 2016, 3:17 pm
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by Kakawax
Yes I heard some UAE ministries use Whatsapp for customers to contact them.

Well, that's it then.. I'm just going to have to go to the pub now to watch the football instead
I hope that's not haram football.
Old Jul 29th 2016, 8:17 pm
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
I hope that's not haram football.
Only if it goes in yanni
Old Jul 30th 2016, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

According to the original Wam announcement (with my highlighting):

"Sheikh Khalifa also issued Federal Law No. 12/2016 amending Federal Law No. 5/2012 on combating information technology crimes.
Article 1 provides for replacing the text of Article 9 of Federal Law No. 9/2012 as follows:
Whoever uses a fraudulent computer network protocol address (IP address) by using a false address or a third-party address by any other means for the purpose of committing a crime or preventing its discovery, shall be punished by temporary imprisonment and a fine of no less than Dh500,000 and not exceeding Dh2,000,000, or either of these two penalties."

This implies it is only an offence to use a VPN to commit a criminal act. Now I'm not a lawyer, but is it a crime in the UAE to, for instance, watch the BBC online (for which one needs a VPN)? The ibtimes (original link) appear not to have actually read their own link to this announcement, because what they say does not appear to be accurate. Any telco lawyers here?
Old Jul 30th 2016, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

Arcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond repute

Oh crap..I'm visiting for a month this November, I was hoping to still be able to place a few bets using my Paddy Power account.
Old Jul 30th 2016, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Arcadia
Oh crap..I'm visiting for a month this November, I was hoping to still be able to place a few bets using my Paddy Power account.
carry on and do not worry about it....VPN and gambling lol (only joking)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.