Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

US has banned cabin laptops from all flights from UAE

US has banned cabin laptops from all flights from UAE

Old Mar 24th 2017, 3:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US has banned cabin laptops from all flights from UAE

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Have they banned Airfix cement on planes, too?
That reminds me: while I was on BA or Gulf Air flight in the late 80s, I was trying to build an Alfa Romeo , the smell of the liquid cement brought the Air Hostess over and she politely asked me to not use it.
Old Mar 24th 2017, 8:50 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
That reminds me: while I was on BA or Gulf Air flight in the late 80s, I was trying to build an Alfa Romeo , the smell of the liquid cement brought the Air Hostess over and she politely asked me to not use it.
What, a real one?
Old Mar 24th 2017, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

martinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond repute

Gets me to thinking. Most bus class seats have AC outlets these days so I've got somewhere to plug in my soldering iron
Old Mar 24th 2017, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Bit surprised they could smell it when the cabin must have been blue with cigarette smoke I'm old enough to remember smoking allowed on planes and the Gulf flights must have been genuinely terrible and yellow with fug after eight hours.

Old Mar 26th 2017, 6:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute

As a smoker I used to sit in the no-smoking area and then just walk down for a smoke....even as a smoker it was a tad overpowering to stay in the smoking area.....little arm ashtrays designed for about 2 butts lol

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Bit surprised they could smell it when the cabin must have been blue with cigarette smoke I'm old enough to remember smoking allowed on planes and the Gulf flights must have been genuinely terrible and yellow with fug after eight hours.
Old Mar 26th 2017, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

I remember watching people walk to the rear for a quick smoke. They always hung around the rear loos. Were there extra ashtrays set out for the floating smokers?

I remember one flight coming back from the Caribbeans when we got placed in the last row of the non-smoking section and the fat Italian right behind me chain smoked little cigarellos the entire flight It was the last smoking flight I can remember. Must have been around 1995 or 1996.

Things were just different in those days, eh? I remember school trips when both the teachers and students would smoke together.

Originally Posted by Dubaiexile
As a smoker I used to sit in the no-smoking area and then just walk down for a smoke....even as a smoker it was a tad overpowering to stay in the smoking area.....little arm ashtrays designed for about 2 butts lol
Old Mar 26th 2017, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently smoking was banned initially due to the high cost of the air conditioning to clear the smoke. Whether that is true i'm not sure.