Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Urgent! Medical Care in Saudi? Pregnant!

Urgent! Medical Care in Saudi? Pregnant!

Old Mar 1st 2013, 7:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Urgent! Medical Care in Saudi? Pregnant!

Family emergency. Get an exit/re-entry visa for your wife and return to the UK. Would you rather that the two of you spend some time in the Saudi slammer and are then deported for attempting to have a criminal abortion ?

Saudi MOH and police do not mess around. You ain't in Kansas any more.

Last edited by scot47; Mar 1st 2013 at 8:46 am.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 8:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Hot bath and a bottle of Gin. Shit, you can't even get the Gin in Saudi.

You really should put her on a plane to somewhere sensible.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 11:33 am
Banned

Desert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by 2BritsInSaudi
Hi everyone. Just moved from the UK to Saudi 3 days ago with my wife and discovered yesterday that she's pregnant. Would be overjoyed if I knew that this was the best thing for us and for my wife especially, but for several reasons it isnt.
Wanted to know if anyone here has ANY information on obtaining a medical abortion here in Saudi - as she must be within 5 weeks of pregnancy. We're in Riyadh but willing to go wherever we have to. Would have considered flying straight back to the UK or Turkey where the process is as easy as taking 2 tablets at home, but only have single entry Visa.
Please get back to us if you have any advice or leads.
Thanks
No chance in KSA. I would suggest to investigate other serious no-nos in KSA.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 7:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

DD is right. Seems that the OP is woefully uninformed about the sort of place he has come to.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 8:21 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
DD is right.
A first!
Old Mar 1st 2013, 8:34 pm
Banned

Desert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mikewot
A first!
You seem to have beef with me, buddy? Get over it.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

2BritsInSaudi is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: Urgent! Medical Care in Saudi? Pregnant!

In the UK its easy to get official advice but here we don't have a clue where to get advice from. We're hoping to try the British Consulate first thing in the morning but some replies here have advised not telling anyone the truth? Does that include the B.Consulate that the reason we need to leave is abortion?
We checked for flights to UK and would go back, but the visa for her to come back in is the issue. Any advice or details of places we could ask advice? In the uk there are so many places to get help and information from. There must be more in place here for expats???
thirdly; does anyone know if my wife could fly back alone or does she need a chaperone to do that, and same for return, would I need to fly back to bring her here again?
Thanks to everyone who's replied.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

ps: with regards to getting pill sent over here...how would that be done? would we have to call up clinics in the uk? would someone have to bring them? its just two little pills... agonising. any one know??
are there any other middle eastern countries that do it? Dubai perhaps? has a very western reputation?
Old Mar 1st 2013, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

Question Re: Urgent! Medical Care in Saudi? Pregnant!

Originally Posted by scot47
Family emergency. Get an exit/re-entry visa for your wife and return to the UK. Would you rather that the two of you spend some time in the Saudi slammer and are then deported for attempting to have a criminal abortion ?

Saudi MOH and police do not mess around. You ain't in Kansas any more.
who do i need to state this to? the company employing me or visa office?? sorry - clueless

didnt realise it was that risky to find someone to do it here. thought if we find a western doctor they might be able to help?

Ive not heard of an exit/re-entry visa - where can i find out more?

thanks so much
Old Mar 1st 2013, 8:44 pm
Banned

In the UK its easy to get official advice but here we don't have a clue where to get advice from. We're hoping to try the British Consulate first thing in the morning but some replies here have advised not telling anyone the truth? Does that include the B.Consulate that the reason we need to leave is abortion?
We checked for flights to UK and would go back, but the visa for her to come back in is the issue. Any advice or details of places we could ask advice? In the uk there are so many places to get help and information from. There must be more in place here for expats???
thirdly; does anyone know if my wife could fly back alone or does she need a chaperone to do that, and same for return, would I need to fly back to bring her here again?
Thanks to everyone who's replied.
My advice is not to seek official advice on abortion from KSA authorities. It is 100% illegal.

Secondly, I can't see what the British Consulate have with this. They don't provide visa advice on behalf of KSA authorities. Your issue is the visa to return to KSA. The HR of the company you work for should be able to assist you with this. My advice is not to tell them your wife is flying back for an abortion. HRs are staffed with Saudis and you will not get a sympathetic view on this matter. In fact they may decide to subvert your wife's return.

Lastly, she does not need to be accompanied for departure / return.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mentalist
If you weren't bothered taking the necessary precautions and definitely cannot leave Saudi then I strongly suggest you consider having the baby. After all, Saudi is a relatively baby friendly place.
Baby friendly? how?
Old Mar 1st 2013, 8:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

ps: with regards to getting pill sent over here...how would that be done? would we have to call up clinics in the uk? would someone have to bring them? its just two little pills... agonising. any one know??
are there any other middle eastern countries that do it? Dubai perhaps? has a very western reputation?
Worth checking that it's legal to have them sent or bring them into Saudi. If abortions are not legal...I would think it would be illegal to posses or take the pills.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Desert Dubliner
My advice is not to seek official advice on abortion from KSA authorities. It is 100% illegal.

Secondly, I can't see what the British Consulate have with this. They don't provide visa advice on behalf of KSA authorities. Your issue is the visa to return to KSA. The HR of the company you work for should be able to assist you with this. My advice is not to tell them your wife is flying back for an abortion. HRs are staffed with Saudis and you will not get a sympathetic view on this matter. In fact they may decide to subvert your wife's return.

Lastly, she does not need to be accompanied for departure / return.
thank you, so we should just say family emergency and that should be enough? i thought the consulate could maybe direct us to some western doctors who may do it for westerners? i couldn't imagine a british/white expat diplomat being refused request for abortion through private medicine? or am i wrong? it just seemed to me before I came that if you're a brit here in saudi, you can get your way somehow? or was i just beyond naive
Old Mar 1st 2013, 8:50 pm
Banned

Buddy, in Dubai you end up in the nick if you get carried away with your new girlfriend in the back of a cab. No chance of getting an abortion there either.

I would suggest not raising this matter even if you do come across a western doctor.

You need a serious reality check as to where you are. In this country you can end up with lashes across bare back as official punishment. Don't screw around with abortion over here.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 8:52 pm
Banned

thank you, so we should just say family emergency and that should be enough? i thought the consulate could maybe direct us to some western doctors who may do it for westerners? i couldn't imagine a british/white expat diplomat being refused request for abortion through private medicine? or am i wrong? it just seemed to me before I came that if you're a brit here in saudi, you can get your way somehow? or was i just beyond naive
You can make your wine but you can't walk into a clinic and claim abortion on the grounds of diplomatic immunity.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.