Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

The unfortunate labourers in Sharjah

The unfortunate labourers in Sharjah

Old Jun 24th 2010, 7:48 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default The unfortunate labourers in Sharjah

I presume that many of you saw the latest story that was on the front of 7Days earlier this week?

http://www.7days.ae/storydetails.php...calnews&title= Labourers+left+to+starve

There are up to 400 men in two camps in Shajah who have been 'abandoned'. Since the story was written the Indian Consulate has had some services reconnected and is supply basic food and water for a week, then Wafi City will feed then for a number of weeks. It's a sorry situation that these men find themselves in through no fault of their own.

I am now working with a woman who has access to the camps to try and inprove their situation. We are planning on putting together care packs of clothes and toiletries for them all. The men are particulalry worried about their families back in their home countries as they have been unable to provide them with any money for at least six months as they have not been paid for this amount of time thmselves. I am aware that it is illegal to ask for money (so I am not) but monetary donations can be accepted and will be fairly distributed.

Despite all they have been out through, many wish to remain in the UAE and several companies have stepped up to offer jobs, so I am trying to coordinate that as well. Many have basic skills.

All of us on this forum, no matter whether we have our own worries, are much better off than these men, so I am hoping that a few people can help put by way of a donation. No matter what, no matter the size, it is all welcome.

Please PM me, see the FB group 'Love Our Labourers' (initially set up as a reminder just to treat people nicely!) or email [email protected]

Thank you

-

Last edited by Meow; Jun 24th 2010 at 8:03 am.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 3:00 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The unfortunate labourers in Sharjah

bump
Old Jun 25th 2010, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

zoukla will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Meow
I presume that many of you saw the latest story that was on the front of 7Days earlier this week?

http://www.7days.ae/storydetails.php...calnews&title= Labourers+left+to+starve

There are up to 400 men in two camps in Shajah who have been 'abandoned'. Since the story was written the Indian Consulate has had some services reconnected and is supply basic food and water for a week, then Wafi City will feed then for a number of weeks. It's a sorry situation that these men find themselves in through no fault of their own.

I am now working with a woman who has access to the camps to try and inprove their situation. We are planning on putting together care packs of clothes and toiletries for them all. The men are particulalry worried about their families back in their home countries as they have been unable to provide them with any money for at least six months as they have not been paid for this amount of time thmselves. I am aware that it is illegal to ask for money (so I am not) but monetary donations can be accepted and will be fairly distributed.

Despite all they have been out through, many wish to remain in the UAE and several companies have stepped up to offer jobs, so I am trying to coordinate that as well. Many have basic skills.

All of us on this forum, no matter whether we have our own worries, are much better off than these men, so I am hoping that a few people can help put by way of a donation. No matter what, no matter the size, it is all welcome.

Please PM me, see the FB group 'Love Our Labourers' (initially set up as a reminder just to treat people nicely!) or email [email protected]

Thank you

-
Great effort meow... i hope they catch the bastards who did this... becoming a little too common news..pray its no one from the western expatriate community.
Will pay a visit to your page and see how i can help....i restraining my self from going into details about all the folk i have listened to who have been taken advantage of.. and the fat cats abscond...
Old Jun 25th 2010, 5:07 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zoukla
Great effort meow... i hope they catch the bastards who did this... becoming a little too common news..pray its no one from the western expatriate community.
Will pay a visit to your page and see how i can help....i restraining my self from going into details about all the folk i have listened to who have been taken advantage of.. and the fat cats abscond...
thing is these lads really do get paid almost nowt, it's not like ripping off big contracting firms or whatever - these twats are the lowest of the low.
Old Jun 26th 2010, 11:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

fabulous initiative meow...have already donated, as you know, but if there's anything else i can do to help, do shout...

MM, xx
Old Jun 26th 2010, 2:04 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

You have been more than generous MM.

Please spread the word. Thanks x

-
Old Jun 28th 2010, 1:25 pm
Bored liberal

This is the update I have just sent to all members of the 'Love Our Labourers' facebook group. I have also posted some photos there that I took today.

Earlier today I personally visited two labour camps in Sharjah to see for my own eyes the problems that these men are facing and to find out from them what exactly is required in order to assist. There are two camps in the Al Saaja Industrial area, a desolate place in itself, where the men have been abandoned by Portland Technical Services.

There are 225 men in one camp and another 120 in another one just a kilometre or so away. Some 65% of the men are Indian, with the rest being largely Pakistani or Bangladeshi, with a handful from Nepal. Perhaps surprisingly, despite the poor conditions and treatment, the men are very friendly, polite and keen to work to provide for their families. Most have not been paid for eight months, with the head man in the smaller camp having received no income for a whole year.

They have been provided with plenty of food and water and basic services have been reconnected, although the smell of sewage is in the air and the areas outside of their small camps are littered with rubbish. The men are satisfied with the food they have received and no food is required. They will be grateful for gifts of clean clothes, mainly t-shirts by preference, and toiletries but their personal needs are modest. When asked what they most want, the answer is invariably “a job and money to send to my family”.

It is their families who have suffered at least as much as they have. The father of one labourer died yesterday, due in part to ill-health caused by lack of nutrition as his son was not able to send any money back home.

I understand that the Ministry has stepped in and their cases are now in hand, but it will be at least another 20-30 days, and possibly longer, before those that want to leave can be repatriated. Some are keen to get other jobs and I have collected over 20 CVs with more to come. These men have skills, HGV drivers, scaffolders, fitters, electricians etc and although we know of a few positions, we are looking for more. I can forward CVs as appropriate upon request, so please let me know of any jobs.

Hopefully this particular sorry saga will come to an end soon, although I doubt it will be the last of its kind. It would be lovely for the men to send some money home to their families as a matter of priority, so any monetary donation would be gratefully received. Please do not buy any items for them and instead pass on the cash. It will go a long way towards improving the lives of these men, and their families.

Many thanks
Old Jun 28th 2010, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Good job meow
Old Jun 28th 2010, 2:33 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

well done, send me the CV's of the electricians and welders etc, i know a few shipyards in the area and can forward them on. They may be looking, who knows..

See im not such a bad person after all
Old Jun 28th 2010, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
well done, send me the CV's of the electricians and welders etc, i know a few shipyards in the area and can forward them on. They may be looking, who knows..

See im not such a bad person after all
Good idea, poor guys, makes me really angry the way some company owners here think they can treat their staff.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 3:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

really great stuff meow...lots of people talk about doing something, but not many actually go out and do it...

MM, xx
Old Jun 28th 2010, 3:45 pm
Banned

London Fletcher is an unknown quantity at this point

As a victim of racism I am touched beyond words. Let it be known to myself today, and to eternally as a reminder to myself in the future whenever I should have any doubts of humanity: that there are genuinely good and decent people in this world.

Thank You Meow
Old Jun 29th 2010, 4:31 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
really great stuff meow...lots of people talk about doing something, but not many actually go out and do it...

MM, xx
I just wish a few more people would dip into their pockets and donate even a small amount of cash. So few do...

(I even have a friend collecting in AD)

-
Old Jun 29th 2010, 5:28 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London Fletcher
As a victim of racism I am touched beyond words. Let it be known to myself today, and to eternally as a reminder to myself in the future whenever I should have any doubts of humanity: that there are genuinely good and decent people in this world.

Thank You Meow
Christ, you are a stuck record mate..

You are a victim of your own poor work ethic, as you have already alluded to.....
Old Jun 29th 2010, 6:35 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by London Fletcher

Thank You Meow
Where does racism come into play? At least one of the owners of the company that has abandoned these men is Indian...
-

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.