Uber ban

Old Sep 26th 2017, 6:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Uber ban

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
EDIT: added a key word to your post. Uber take 25% of the fare... 25%!!!!!!!

Black cabbies make a decent living, can afford to bring up a family in London. Uber drivers, much less so. Just because Dubai is happy to have bachelor cabbies living in compounds out of sight of the 'decent people' doesn't mean that's what one of the premier cities of the world should be aiming for. Race to the bottom...
Deliveroo take a similar cut but nobody seems to cry?
Old Sep 26th 2017, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Maxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKCityGent
Am I one of the few people who has never used Uber or AirBnb ?

Me neither
Old Sep 26th 2017, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

martinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Uber in Dubai is a totally different model to that used overseas so that's not a great example.
I've wondered about that here in Doha. From what I can make out this is a business here and the drivers are 'employed'. I don't believe this is Abdul and his Nissan hauling a few rides in his off time. I guess that would be illegal mostly in any case.

I'm guessing they franchised it and are reaming the drivers.
Old Sep 26th 2017, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

I've wondered about Uber in Doha too.

I do think it's Abdul and his Nissan doing it full time. There's a big overlap between the private hire cars ("limousines") that go around looking for customers and those who respond to your Uber request. I've also been in quite a few reasonably nice and newish cars instead of the usual older Toyotas/Nissans/Hondas, and those aren't the cars that drive around looking for customers off the street.

Bit odd the government doesn't seem to regulate it.

Originally Posted by martinbkk
I've wondered about that here in Doha. From what I can make out this is a business here and the drivers are 'employed'. I don't believe this is Abdul and his Nissan hauling a few rides in his off time. I guess that would be illegal mostly in any case.

Old Sep 26th 2017, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

martinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond repute

I think a lot of those private hire cars are companies, like pickquick and others. I'm thinking maybe Uber operates the same way just using their app instead of by phone.

With the work permit requirements somebody needs to be fronting the operation. Of course it will be a 'family'.
Old Sep 26th 2017, 9:06 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Amsterdam is filthy for hotels costs. I'm there next week for 3 nights and any where decent in the centre was crazy money. The 4* place I stayed at last time for 450 GBP odd was 980 GBP this time.

Even AirBnB's are up there with anything within a 10 mins walk to the centre starting at 80 GBP night.

That said I have used AirBnB quite a few times and have found it very good and far more reasonable than hotels of a similar standard.

Uber in Dubai is a totally different model to that used overseas so that's not a great example.
In the end we stayed in Rotterdam. It was handy coming of the boat at the hook. Had a fantastic two story apartment, very modern, even had a roof garden, and it was £90 a night. The people in the basement even had ganja growing in the back yard just to add to my Dutch experience.

Got the train in to Amsterdam which worked quite well. Kids go for virtually nothing. Took the family round the red light district, tried to avoid falling into a canal, avoided getting run over by a tram, and train back to the relative peace and tranquillity of Rotterdam.

Glad of the decision. Amsterdam is quite hectic, and with youngish kids, wore me out.
Old Sep 26th 2017, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by martinbkk

One of the drivers explained the set up to me once but I was a tad inebriated so didn't get it all. Basically though there are special bank loans you can get which are linked to Lexus. This gets you the car and away you go. Here most of these are owned by locals who buy several cars and hire the drivers privately, however, the dude I had the other week was a one man band who 'owned' his ow car. Apparently they also have a buy back agreement with Lexus so after X years when the majority of the loan is covered Lexus will buy at an agreed rate and they can start again with a new car. Seemed quite a good business model.
Old Sep 26th 2017, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
In the end we stayed in Rotterdam. It was handy coming of the boat at the hook. Had a fantastic two story apartment, very modern, even had a roof garden, and it was £90 a night. The people in the basement even had ganja growing in the back yard just to add to my Dutch experience.

Got the train in to Amsterdam which worked quite well. Kids go for virtually nothing. Took the family round the red light district, tried to avoid falling into a canal, avoided getting run over by a tram, and train back to the relative peace and tranquillity of Rotterdam.

Glad of the decision. Amsterdam is quite hectic, and with youngish kids, wore me out.
Sounds good. I visit Amsterdam a few times a year so I know it well now. Always have a good time, its such an entertaining city, however, they definitely know how to charge.
Old Sep 26th 2017, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Jamming to smack, eh?

. Always have a good time, its such an entertaining city, however, they definitely know how to charge.