UAE Taxes

Old Mar 21st 2018, 10:30 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute
Default UAE Taxes

They will get you somehow!!!

I just did a little calculation in relation to the last 4-5 items that I have bought from overseas on the inter web. They're not ridiculously expensive things like watches or the like, but I refuse to shop here due to the poor service and astronomical prices.

I added up all of the taxes (duty, admin charges, port charges, VAT etc) and the total for these items is more than the cost of a flight to London. Add to that, the fact that I can also reclaim the VAT in London, it no longer makes sense to buy here, even if you use the Internet.

#youjustcantwin.
Old Mar 21st 2018, 10:38 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: UAE Taxes

Yeah but you'd pay all that money and instead of having stuff, you'd be in snowy, miserable London.
Old Mar 21st 2018, 10:44 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Yeah but you'd pay all that money and instead of having stuff, you'd be in snowy, miserable London.
You missed the point. The total taxes, delivery charge, duty etc I have paid would pay for a ticket. If I bought the stuff in London and sent to my sisters house, I would save all those UAE Gov contributions.

i.e I can still buy the stuff (in London), spend a couple of days gorging on UK food and seeing my sister and then have enough for a night out here on the VAT reclaim :-)
Old Mar 21st 2018, 11:06 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Is this a new oblique way to humblebrag about spending loads of cash?
Old Mar 21st 2018, 11:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by TheShed
You missed the point. The total taxes, delivery charge, duty etc I have paid would pay for a ticket. If I bought the stuff in London and sent to my sisters house, I would save all those UAE Gov contributions.

i.e I can still buy the stuff (in London), spend a couple of days gorging on UK food and seeing my sister and then have enough for a night out here on the VAT reclaim :-)
Oh I got you, my point was that you'd have to be in London. Why not use that flight money and go buy this stuff somewhere nicer and perhaps as cheap or cheaper?
Old Mar 21st 2018, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

So what did you buy Sheddy?
Old Mar 21st 2018, 11:39 am
Wannabe Cycling God

Agreed Scamp, I'll probably go to HK to get it; same flight cost as London.

Not in the least Weasel, just stuff that I wanted and stupidly didn't think the deal right thru. It is true that I enjoy spending my hard earned though.

A fair bit of electronics and some of it not available in UAE like an Apple HomePod and some other bits of home automation and other odd items.
Old Mar 21st 2018, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed. I often buy stuff on shop and ship but the delivery / duty charges are now silly.