Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Training regime for the gym

Training regime for the gym

Old Apr 10th 2018, 4:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Training regime for the gym

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
It’s the diet that bothers me, ironically because I don’t eat junk food. I don’t care for cooking so the spinach salads (tonight!) and eggs are easily prepared and consumed. Looks like I’m going to have to put more effort into eating more food. And that is more daunting than anything at the gym.
Milk, nuts and protein shakes
Old Apr 11th 2018, 5:30 am
Forum Regular

ExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of light

Easy to graze on protein rich foods like nuts
Old Apr 11th 2018, 5:45 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you want to do a lean bulk - increase muscle size and keep your low body fat. Increasing your calories probably around 500-800 calories - that can be easily with a handful of nuts, a milk protein shake with a couple of spoonfuls of peanut butter).

As a newbie any workouts you do will quickly add mass - you can expect 2lb of muscle per month probably for a year and a half. It really doesn't matter what routine you do - only that you are consistent and persistent !

Muscle will build at heavy sets at 5x5 @ 80% of 1RPM and at 3x30 @ 60% of 1RPM. Anything less than 60% of 1RPM you may as well use pink 1lb dumbbells !

The quick answer is eat a little bit extra, lift heavy but do both things on a consistent and persistent basis.
Old Apr 11th 2018, 7:57 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKCityGent
Sounds like you want to do a lean bulk - increase muscle size and keep your low body fat. Increasing your calories probably around 500-800 calories - that can be easily with a handful of nuts, a milk protein shake with a couple of spoonfuls of peanut butter).

As a newbie any workouts you do will quickly add mass - you can expect 2lb of muscle per month probably for a year and a half. It really doesn't matter what routine you do - only that you are consistent and persistent !

Muscle will build at heavy sets at 5x5 @ 80% of 1RPM and at 3x30 @ 60% of 1RPM. Anything less than 60% of 1RPM you may as well use pink 1lb dumbbells !

The quick answer is eat a little bit extra, lift heavy but do both things on a consistent and persistent basis.
Thank you. On the whole the message is positive and you're correct in that I want a lean bulk.

But can you translate this: 5x5 @ 80% of 1RPM and at 3x30 @ 60% of 1RPM.

I'm a utter dummy when it comes to training terminology. There must be an Idiot's Guide to Training that's eminently suitable for me.
Old Apr 11th 2018, 7:59 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you. On the whole the message is positive and you're correct in that I want a lean bulk.

But can you translate this: 5x5 @ 80% of 1RPM and at 3x30 @ 60% of 1RPM.

I'm a utter dummy when it comes to training terminology. There must be an Idiot's Guide to Training that's eminently suitable for me.
80% of the maximum weight you can lift only once.
Old Apr 11th 2018, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
80% of the maximum weight you can lift only once.
I think I know what you're talking about. Find the maximum weight I can lift (as defined by? Lifting without hurting myself?). Let's assume that's 30kg. 80% of that would be about 25kg. So I do five sets of five 25kg lifts? Followed by 3 sets of 30(!) 18kg lifts?

Are these going to be rip curls lifting, as I think they're called? Or it doesn't matter as long as I'm lifting something?
Old Apr 11th 2018, 8:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I think I know what you're talking about. Find the maximum weight I can lift (as defined by? Lifting without hurting myself?). Let's assume that's 30kg. 80% of that would be about 25kg. So I do five sets of five 25kg lifts? Followed by 3 sets of 30(!) 18kg lifts?

Are these going to be rip curls lifting, as I think they're called? Or it doesn't matter as long as I'm lifting something?
just download the 5x5 app and follow the instructions.

starting at 80% 1RM would only hurt you, that's the end goal.
Old Apr 11th 2018, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Millhouse
just download the 5x5 app and follow the instructions.

starting at 80% 1RM would only hurt you, that's the end goal.
Just downloaded it. Will give it a shot. Thanks, Millhouse (and everyone else).