Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Too many restaurants in Dubai?

Too many restaurants in Dubai?

Old Mar 2nd 2017, 7:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Too many restaurants in Dubai?

Originally Posted by jam25mack
So if Gweilo is apparently OK, how about Gora? Cracker? Gringo? I need to know when I am allowed to punch someone (as Miss A T has indicated is OK).
My old boss used to say... you choose your mood.

We choose when to be offended.

I have a gay colleague who I have absolutely no issue with. I accidentally offended him this week (his choice) when I said something along the lines of (when talking about a common friend with depression), "well I'm not going to judge his behavior, when men are down you medicate with either women or beer"

His choice to be offended by my accidental choice word of "women" vs. "sex". He could have equally taken it as a positive spin of me treating him a a total equal in my eyes.
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 7:07 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope
That's not the point here. I agree that some people are too quick to take offence or are looking for reasons to be offended. This does not mean that there are not genuinely offensive terms.

For example, there are a number of well-known words that have been specifically used to demean and bully some minority groups who, in the past, have been powerless to fight back. Now they have identified those words as demeaning (and words like cripple and spastic are good examples also) and asked that people not use them. I think it is a matter of common public decency not to use demeaning language. I realise that sometimes people may do this inadvertently but why persist once this has been pointed out?

Everybody is free to use whatever words they wish but whereas in the past there may have been no consequences to this, now that will reflect on them and they may be called out and sanctioned for it. It's really not that hard to be a decent human being.
I agree with you generally, however what most people are pointing out is that you are being offended on behalf of others who are well equipped to fight back. You don't need to bat for the Chinese, there are literally a billion of them.

Who all look the same

Last edited by weasel decentral; Mar 2nd 2017 at 7:15 am.
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 7:09 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse

I have a gay colleague who I have absolutely no issue with. I accidentally offended him this week (his choice) when I said something along the lines of (when talking about a common friend with depression), "well I'm not going to judge his behavior, when men are down you medicate with either women or beer"

His choice to be offended by my accidental choice word of "women" vs. "sex". He could have equally taken it as a positive spin of me treating him a a total equal in my eyes.
That 'i have a gay colleague' I have assumed is you. Are you gay? Just asking for a friend
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 7:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
That 'i have a gay colleague' I have assumed is you. Are you gay? Just asking for a friend
I'm like a budgie talking to a mirror sometimes.
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

You'd think he'd be more offended by living in a state which deems his sexual orientation as illegal .
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 7:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

In other news, how many of you use the term 'nitty gritty' and without using google know what it refers to?
Well I never.

That's definitely choosing to be offended, going out of one's way to be offended.

If you'd said: "well I'm not going to judge his behavior, when men are down you medicate with either women - because men only **** women and anything else is plain wrong, or beer"

Then I could see someone being a bit upset at the lengths you went to make them feel uncomfortable. But you didn't do that and I know you wouldn't have meant any offense.

BUT

I will say that I don't know what it's like being a 'minority' whether race, LBGT, disabled etc. So maybe things I don't think would be offensive, would be, etc.
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 7:51 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

...He could have equally taken it as a positive spin of me treating him as a total equal in my eyes.
Nobody's taken the bait yet ...
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 8:00 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
If it wasn't for the Nips
Being so good at making ships
The docks would still be open on the Tyne

That used to be acceptable. And correct.
Was never acceptable; total POS record not even rescued by backup singers beautifully crooning "f**k all that" gospel style.
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 8:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

If it wasn't for the Nips
Being so good at making ships
The docks would still be open on the Tyne

That used to be acceptable. And correct.
Or the unions?
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 8:17 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

Nobody's taken the bait yet ...
Well here's nobody now and I am refusing.

I agree that as Millhouse's anecdote is recounted, there is no reasonable basis for taking offence. But I've heard far too many of such alibi tales not to suspect there is something more behind it, whether Millhouse recognises it or not. And, in his current avatar as provocateur, I know he will not acknowledge that anyway even though I strongly suspect he does recognise that.

And to address some other comments: I repeat, I am not offended. I am just pointing out speech that can be fairly and reasonably considered offensive. I could have let it go and avoided what I knew would become this tiresome argument full of straw men and dissembling (the British were the rulers in HK - not an oppressed minority ffs). But I think it's worth making a point and trying to get people to think a bit more even if I appear - this time - to be in a minority of one. Meanwhile is it any surprise this forum has become so utterly monotone?

By the way, you know that the harder you fight to justify and sustain this casual low-level "soft prejudice", the easier you make it for people to take frivolous offence at everything?

To paraphrase some judge: I can't necessarily describe bigotry but I know it when I see it and hear it, however many craven excuses and distractions people want to throw up to confuse the issue and justify their participation.
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 8:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope
I agree that as Millhouse's anecdote is recounted, there is no reasonable basis for taking offence. But I've heard far too many of such alibi tales not to suspect there is something more behind it, whether Millhouse recognises it or not. And, in his current avatar as provocateur, I know he will not acknowledge that anyway even though I strongly suspect he does recognise that.
nah, seriously, there is nothing more behind it. He's actually quite a good friend and we have a very open discussion most of the time about everything - he thanked me once for really accepting him as he assumed I wouldn't. Dunno why he got pissy on this one.

Funny as about 30mins later, someone else said something almost identical to him on the same subject. She was quicker to reword the sentence though.
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

So if Gweilo is apparently OK, how about Gora? Cracker? Gringo?
to be honest when me and my desi friends are chatting we tend to refer to the 'white' folks as gora or gori - are many 'white' folks aware of that terminology?
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
to be honest when me and my desi friends are chatting we tend to refer to the 'white' folks as gora or gori - are many 'white' folks aware of that terminology?
Yes , Gora is a very common term here .
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 9:39 am
...we killed the flame

Almost every language or society has more or less disparaging words for foreigners, often particularly for colonial Europeans who were usually pretty unwelcome when they showed up. Gweilo, Gora, Oyibo, Faranji, Nasrani (the khaleeji one - literally meaning "Nazarene" i.e. Christian) etc etc.

In Gaelic the term "Sasanach" just means Englishman (Saxon literally) though it can be used as an insult similar to Pom, mainly by the Scots not so much in Ireland. We have another Gaelic word for "returned yanks": Poncanach (pron. punk-AW-nock) which even sounds insulting. There is a whole school of early 20th century Gaelic literature about Poncanaigh (the plural) who returned to the auld sod on holiday or to pursue some wild-goose chase business opportunity. They were invariably portrayed as arrogant show-off buffoons who were no match for the crafty local stay-at-homes.

While this may all be less than polite, it is no way equivalent to using words which were specifically used to keep minorities in our place. Instead of a chinky, anyone fancy going for a wog?

I didn't think so.
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 9:42 am
...we killed the flame

Cue endless posts about how "wog" actually just means "westernised oriental gentleman" and therefore how dare anyone take offence, ad infinitum...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.