Tony 'Donkey' Adams

Old Jun 3rd 2009, 1:39 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tony 'Donkey' Adams

Doesn;'t do himself any favours does he? the boring, donkey-faced ex alcoholic...

Jansen rejects Adams' Celtic link
Tony Adams
Adams won only two of 16 Premier League games with Portsmouth

Former Celtic boss Wim Jansen has denied ever recommending Tony Adams for the manager's post at Parkhead.

Adams claimed he was in the frame, should Jansen return to Celtic in the role of technical director.

However, Jansen said: "Sure, I worked with Tony in Holland when he was coaching there and I know him well. We have a good relationship.

"But it's a little while since we have been in contact. And I have never suggested anything about Celtic."

Adams has been out of the game since being sacked by Portsmouth in February, having won just four of 22 games in charge, and a Celtic source was quick to rubbish his claims.

Prior to his spell in charge at Fratton Park, the former Arsenal and England captain was number two to Harry Redknapp at Pompey, after an ill-fated spell in charge of Wycombe and coaching jobs in the Netherlands with Utrecht and Feyenoord.

It was in the latter role that he worked with Jansen, who was technical advisor to the club at the time, and Adams talked of the two working together in a European-style management structure at Celtic.

"When Celtic approached Wim he very kindly said that Tony Adams was the man they needed to go and get," he said.

"I'm very interested. I do love winning things, so it does appeal but as of yet, no phone calls."

"I really appreciate and I'm really thankful that there are people in the game who are batting for me and putting me up for the jobs," said Adams.

"By saying manager, it is kind of a head coach's position really because once you have a technical director like you have in Europe, they help you with recruitment.

"As long as you have the final say of who comes in and out, these people are your help in the boardroom.

"I never had that at Portsmouth. It works for me and Celtic is an unbelievable club, you have a 50% chance of winning something up there."

Jansen was head coach of Celtic during the 1997-98 season, but despite leading them to the Scottish Premier League title - their first in 10 years - and winning the League Cup, he left at the end of the season due to a clash with general manager Jock Brown.
Celtic have been without a manager since Gordon Strachan resigned on 25 May, just one day after surrendering the league title to Rangers.

On Monday, Swansea claimed they had made an official approach for boss Roberto Martinez.

Croatia coach Slaven Bilic has expressed his interest in the vacancy, while West Brom's Tony Mowbray and Burnley's Owen Coyle are also thought to be candidates but Everton boss David Moyes has ruled himself out of the running.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 1:56 pm
Account Closed

Shadya is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tony 'Donkey' Adams

But he was a great centre half in his day so hubby tells me
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 4:42 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

He was a great centre half who pissed the bed regularly. His book is well worth a read.

I didn't realise Wim the tim was back in the semtex frame..hohoho, things are grim down the London Road...

Sure it is old but...

Ps Wim The tim has the best hairdo ever..magic
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

Big Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by commander
He was a great centre half who pissed the bed regularly. His book is well worth a read.

I didn't realise Wim the tim was back in the semtex frame..hohoho, things are grim down the London Road...

Sure it is old but...

Ps Wim The tim has the best hairdo ever..magic
Out of all the rumours emanating from the laptop loyal in Glasgow at the moment I've been ignoring this one the most, in the hope dear God that it's typically the kind of they guff they come up with when they've nothing else to write about.

The poor bloke's delusional. I hope
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 5:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

Mowbray, but he's a cock anarl
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 5:20 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Mark the sheep McGhee...
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

Big Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud of

Willie McStay. Why not, we could probably get him on a free..?
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 5:37 pm
banned

Paul McStay has potential...
Old Jun 4th 2009, 4:42 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
Mark the sheep McGhee...
Best one I have jeard for the Dons job is Noel Whelan, with 'Big' Ron Atkinson as assistant.....

But Mark is still Numero Uno for the Pittodrie job....
Old Jun 4th 2009, 6:12 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Kevin
Willie McStay. Why not, we could probably get him on a free..?
why don't you actually go for a well known, good manager?

I mean, Martinez? what??
Old Jun 4th 2009, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Spugsy
why don't you actually go for a well known, good manager?

I mean, Martinez? what??
The message that the Celtic board continually pushes is how successful they have been financially, and truly the debt is virtually non-existant now, but the downside is that it's the quality of the players, and no doubt the new manager, that subsidise that.

That will sound a bit off to fans of the other SPL clubs since Celtic's budget far outweighs what they have to spend, but in truth the team's quality has deteriorated and now it looks like our sights are pretty low in terms of our manager as well.

The word in Glasgow (amongst some friends who are normally quite close to the mark) seems to be that Tony Mowbray is favourite. Well if that's the market Celtic are in, then we might as well try to be pragmatic and put someone in place based on ability rather than reputation. Everybody knows that opinion was always divided throughout Celtic's support about Gordon Strachan and I just wonder if the board will try to select somebody that they think would be a popular choice. Somebody 'Celtic minded' if you like, and Tony Mowbay to a degree fits the bill (as an ex Celtic player and reputed initiator of the 'Huddle'), as do Mark McGhee, Roy Keane and others, or whether they will look to hire someone else based purely on their record and ability that might cost substantially more.

It does seem to me though that the names currently being discussed in the meeja, including all of those I've mentioned above, are disappointing. Tell you what though, the choice of manager will be a good indicator as to what the current board's aspirations for Celtic (the football team as opposed to the business) actually are.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 10:30 am
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by Big Kevin
The message that the Celtic board continually pushes is how successful they have been financially, and truly the debt is virtually non-existant now, but the downside is that it's the quality of the players, and no doubt the new manager, that subsidise that.

That will sound a bit off to fans of the other SPL clubs since Celtic's budget far outweighs what they have to spend, but in truth the team's quality has deteriorated and now it looks like our sights are pretty low in terms of our manager as well.

The word in Glasgow (amongst some friends who are normally quite close to the mark) seems to be that Tony Mowbray is favourite. Well if that's the market Celtic are in, then we might as well try to be pragmatic and put someone in place based on ability rather than reputation. Everybody knows that opinion was always divided throughout Celtic's support about Gordon Strachan and I just wonder if the board will try to select somebody that they think would be a popular choice. Somebody 'Celtic minded' if you like, and Tony Mowbay to a degree fits the bill (as an ex Celtic player and reputed initiator of the 'Huddle'), as do Mark McGhee, Roy Keane and others, or whether they will look to hire someone else based purely on their record and ability that might cost substantially more.

It does seem to me though that the names currently being discussed in the meeja, including all of those I've mentioned above, are disappointing. Tell you what though, the choice of manager will be a good indicator as to what the current board's aspirations for Celtic (the football team as opposed to the business) actually are.
Joe Kinnear could do a job for you.

Old Jun 4th 2009, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Spugsy
Joe Kinnear could do a job for you.

I wouldn't argue with that mate.