Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Today (5 Feb) is.............

Today (5 Feb) is.............

Old Feb 5th 2014, 5:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Today (5 Feb) is.............

..... regarded by metreolog...... metirol....... meatareologi....... er..........

.............. weathermen as the middle of winter (in the Northern Hemisphere).

That is all.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 7:07 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Today (5 Feb) is.............

I'm currently in deepest, darkest Cornwall and believe me there is a LOT of weather around.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 7:19 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikewot
I'm currently in deepest, darkest Cornwall and believe me there is a LOT of weather around.
Given that there is no rail service out of Cornwall towards London as the track support has all been washed away at Dawlish, you may just be staying there a while..
Old Feb 5th 2014, 7:24 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Could not tell you the last time I travelled by train
Old Feb 5th 2014, 8:04 am
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

I miss traveling by a proper train (metro doesn't count).
My parents used to take us on a lot of train rides when we were kids.
I wish I can one day find the time to introduce my kids to the joys of a proper train ride and the random thoughts that flash in your head upon seeing random things flash by in front of you for miles and miles, the gentle rocking of the train putting you to sleep and then waking up famished and eating soggy food out of a metal tiffin prepared by your mom.
ah well, today is just one of those days I guess
Old Feb 5th 2014, 8:58 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

More importantly it's a mere 12 days until my birthday. Plenty of time to go and buy me something lovely.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 9:51 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I'm so jealous. The surf is meant to be unreal at the moment.

I remember driving from Southampton on a Friday night to catch the swell from a hurricane in America the week or two before. Was awesome.

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper
I wish I can one day find the time to introduce my kids to the joys of a proper train ride and the random thoughts that flash in your head upon seeing random things flash by in front of you for miles and miles, the gentle rocking of the train putting you to sleep and then waking up famished and eating soggy food out of a metal tiffin prepared by your mom.
My Grandad took me on a steam train once, somehow he knew the driver and we got to ride up front. Unbelievable. Loved it.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 10:02 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Scamp
I'm so jealous. The surf is meant to be unreal at the moment.
If you're brave enough to venture out it's pretty crazy
Old Feb 5th 2014, 10:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

If you're brave enough to venture out it's pretty crazy
I'm not but I'd love to be there.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 10:45 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper
One of my fondest memories from childhood was travelling by train from London to Devon to see the grandparents. My dad worked for the railways and his mates always got us in the dining car for a full slap up silver service breakfast. Table cloths, silver coffee pots etc. Very different from todays trollies full of limp sarnies and chocolate.

Amazing :-)
Old Feb 5th 2014, 11:54 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by TheShed
his mates always got us in the dining car for a full slap up silver service breakfast. Table cloths, silver coffee pots etc.
In the days of the cold war, due to the problems with the Russian blockade of Berlin and the airlift, there was a British Military Train ran every day from Hannover to Berlin. The timings meant it got to the border with East Germany at lunchtime. For the equivalent of £1 you had the slap up 3 course meal on white tablecloths with deliveries waiters. All just to show the Russians, who were doing the documentation and Padlocking the doors etc, how we lived in the West.