Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Thursday afternoon thread

Thursday afternoon thread

Old Jan 17th 2018, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thursday afternoon thread

Originally Posted by Scamp
Think that location and others similar (India). They're design sweatshops with an Expat manager overseeing football field size offices of people producing design docs and drawings for project here.

Many big engineering consultancies will have something along these lines.
Yup, we have one in Krakow and another in Hyderabad. May have one or two others now too.
Old Jan 17th 2018, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Yup, we have one in Krakow and another in Hyderabad. May have one or two others now too.
Who does better work, Krak or Hyder?
Old Jan 17th 2018, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
That's the other thing. A decade ago it'd be an adventure and I'd be keen on it.

Now I value efficiency and quality and professionalism, and a properly made cappuccino every morning. Going to BKK for a wild weekend every now and then is a blast, and I'm sure Manila falls in the same category, but on a day to day basis? Eh.
BKK is a very different city . Manila is kind of stuck in that time warp state as the good times for the PI are when the Subic & Clark bases were there and the US was literally keeping them afloat financially.

I got the feeling when i was there the last time around 10 years ago that things had moved on but not as you would expect . Maybe it's just because of the infrastructure and kind of cut off nature of the islands themselves which has an effect.

The surrounding places in SE Asia have flourished and Manila is still lagging behind unfortunately.
Old Jan 17th 2018, 4:56 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

This thread has gone in yet another direction. Love it.

Heard about these design sweatshops for the first time this week, and have actually had long conversations with people from the Phillipines (couple work for our company). To a man they say stay away from Manila and get out to the provincial coastal places. Hoping to see more of that region after a couple of tastes. Maybe being here will make that easier for me.
Old Jan 17th 2018, 11:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
I find them very different here than when they're on home turf . No need for the 'Yes Ma'm Sir' routine in the fleshpots of Pasay City

Very interesting place though and there's a lot to see . Manila itself is still a sprawling disjointed polluted nightmare of a city but has a rough diamond charm about it.

You have to remember that it takes a certain type of person to live and work overseas. In that regards Westerners and Asians have a similar characteristics. The Asians you meet who work in the ME will often be completely different from the Asians you will meet in their home countries. Its just the same with Westerners. The type of Westerner you get to meet working / living in UK, ME and SEA can be starkly different, as I am sure most of the people on this forum already know.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Who does better work, Krak or Hyder?
Dunno if I'm honest..... haven't really used them enough to form an opinion. Definitely some good in each one, some not so good too.

We often run projects with different parts of the design being undertaken in countries all over the world. It's kind of part of the parcel when you work on complex projects. The metro for instance probably had input from local (US), US, UK, India, Pakistan, Poland etc.

Can be a pain in the tits tho.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 5:35 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Dunno if I'm honest..... haven't really used them enough to form an opinion. Definitely some good in each one, some not so good too.

We often run projects with different parts of the design being undertaken in countries all over the world. It's kind of part of the parcel when you work on complex projects. The metro for instance probably had input from local (US), US, UK, India, Pakistan, Poland etc.

Can be a pain in the tits tho.
The final death knell for me was the realisation I'd spent at least (if not more) half my time in conference calls and at impossible hours due to time differences. I've done enough of that but don't fancy it taking up most of my day (and night!)