A third empty

Old Feb 18th 2016, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute
Default A third empty

http://www.emirates247.com/business/more-than-a-third-of-abu-dhabi-homes-are-vacant-2016-02-18-1.621426

On my phone, so don't know if the link works but I do love the 2020 vision, that is still very much in action.
Old Feb 18th 2016, 10:16 am
Banned

iggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A third empty

I live in Gate Towers, No rent increase, a 5k rent decrease.
Old Feb 18th 2016, 10:31 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iggle
I live in Gate Towers, No rent increase, a 5k rent decrease.
But when the rent cap was removed didn't prices rise by, in some cases, 40%?
Old Feb 18th 2016, 10:39 am
Banned

iggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikewot
But when the rent cap was removed didn't prices rise by, in some cases, 40%?
A friend of mine who lives in GT1, we all do that a friend of mine.

He had to renew is Oct, his price increased by 20%, he was priced out and moved to Al Reef. I on the other hand 6 months later got a 5% decrease.

Could it be that his flat is still empty and it was just a greedy landlord? Or was I lucky?
Old Feb 21st 2016, 5:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Rubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iggle
A friend of mine who lives in GT1, we all do that a friend of mine.

He had to renew is Oct, his price increased by 20%, he was priced out and moved to Al Reef. I on the other hand 6 months later got a 5% decrease.

Could it be that his flat is still empty and it was just a greedy landlord? Or was I lucky?
The decrease is good but think u may have been lucky. I was living at bloom gardens until last Jan, lived there for two years with no increase then the 3rd year they wanted 35k more but yet still no facilities built! Argued but fell on deaf ears, now living in the city for much less. Just greedy landlords I'd say! Bloom was left empty almost a year and the garden which I paid for all went to s*%t, they even had the cheek to charge for leaving the garden in what they called "a state"!

Sorry rant over
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 5:52 am
Forum Regular

knickerdropofglory is an unknown quantity at this point

I currently live in Dubai Marina, but will be forced to move to AD by my employer. I have no idea of where to look. I like the Marina because of all pedestrian area. No crossing roads or getting run over on the road etc... Is there any where similar?
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 5:58 am
Banned

Originally Posted by knickerdropofglory
I currently live in Dubai Marina, but will be forced to move to AD by my employer. I have no idea of where to look. I like the Marina because of all pedestrian area. No crossing roads or getting run over on the road etc... Is there any where similar?
Loads

Al Reeam

Gate Towers/Arc/Sky/Sun Towers (It's a complex of sort)

Marina Square - Though a mosque has just been in stalled so its rather loud

loads of little towers around as well

Also consider Al Raha as well.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 6:40 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Reem isn't comparable to the Marina. It's not walkable. It's several clusters of towers that are quite far apart from each other. Looks great from a distance but up front it's large swathes of undeveloped lands between each cluster of towers. You'll still be driving to most of your shopping needs.

If you want walkability then look on the Island itself. Lots of shops and restaurants within walking distance if you live within a few blocks of the Corniche. Khalidiya has a lot of expats. But buildings are very mixed. The cheaper and mid-range buildings won't have pools or parking.

You're just going to have to accept that AD isn't Dubai and there's nothing comparable to Dubai Marina. Reem is the closest default because it's towers and by AD standards, affordable for what you can get.

If you can afford it, look at Saadiyat Island. 100K can get you a small 1-bedroom but it's a very nice area and close to AD. And you have the beach right there, along with Waitrose. You can walk around a bit. Raha Beach is another option but it's all the way at the base of the island. Saadiyat is 55 minutes to the Marina, Raha Beach is 45 minutes.
Originally Posted by knickerdropofglory
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 6:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I always viewed it as 2/3's full.