Tennis

Old Jan 10th 2018, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tennis

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Ah..... fond memories of running with the cross country team through the rain in the chilly and wet Cambridgeshire countryside. Only in those days could I run 10k easily, still smoke half a pack afterwards and wolf down a couple Gregg's and feel totally fantastic.
Pah, southern softies!

If the ground wasn't frozen when we did cross country it was akin to a summer holiday!
Old Jan 10th 2018, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Pah, southern softies!

If the ground wasn't frozen when we did cross country it was akin to a summer holiday!
We had it made. Dear, dear, dear ol' flat Cambridgeshire

But the wind could pack a powerful punch coming across the fens.
Old Jan 10th 2018, 10:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Hmm. No, I don't think so. I was taller than most of them.
How tall are you?
You're laying it on like you're 7ft tall and 6 stone at the moment....

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Pah, southern softies!

We used to have to do cross country if the pitches were frozen or waterlogged. Keeping in mind the sports field was out of the city centre (the run to it was our warm up) and next to flood plain / marsh areas for the Avon it meant we did shit loads of icy / wet runs. ****ing misery.
Old Jan 10th 2018, 11:57 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

Ah..... fond memories of running with the cross country team through the rain in the chilly and wet Cambridgeshire countryside. Only in those days could I run 10k easily, still smoke half a pack afterwards and wolf down a couple Gregg's and feel totally fantastic.
Not to mention a couple of Quentins and a couple of Tarquins...

Sorry, couldn't resist...
Old Jan 10th 2018, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
How tall are you?
You're laying it on like you're 7ft tall and 6 stone at the moment....
Tall enough. Tall kids don't get picked on or beat up for a reason, no matter how geeky you might have been.
Old Jan 10th 2018, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope
Not to mention a couple of Quentins and a couple of Tarquins...

Sorry, couldn't resist...
Nah. Not at school. It could have happened with all the amazing opportunities for boarding students, but I'm glad it didn't, in retrospect.

A year or two later, mind you ....

Last edited by DXBtoDOH; Jan 10th 2018 at 12:11 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2018, 12:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Tall enough. Tall kids don't get picked on or beat up for a reason, no matter how geeky you might have been.
I didn't really pick on people at school, it wasn't that sort of place. So I'll take your word for it.

You're x height and that meant you didn't get picked on. It's scientific almost.
Old Jan 10th 2018, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

I didn't really pick on people at school, it wasn't that sort of place. So I'll take your word for it.

You're x height and that meant you didn't get picked on. It's scientific almost.
Don't want to give off the wrong impression out of loyalty to the old place so I can't really speak much from experience either. But the few times it ever came close I just gave the look that clearly says how do you pick on someone who's a few inches taller than you
Old Jan 10th 2018, 4:25 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Don't want to give off the wrong impression out of loyalty to the old place so I can't really speak much from experience either. But the few times it ever came close I just gave the look that clearly says how do you pick on someone who's a few inches taller than you
Doesn't always work:

Old Jan 11th 2018, 2:21 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

We have, start of Feb at Meydan.
Printed a plan and did a practice thing last night:
10min walk
2min run, 1min walk (x5)
5min walk

Solid 30min bit of work, lovely.

Struggling with shin muscles. Bizarre I know but good ****ing grief they tighten up to the point where flexing my ankle is nearly impossible.

Going to try rest tonight and stretch, walk, stretch.
The Meydan track is nice and flat and it's a good run .If it's the Wellman I'm doing it as well. Hoping for a sub 45 which is not bad for a fella my age

Just watch the overuse pain mate , it's so easy to get injured when you start out especially in the lower leg , calf / shin , achilles areas . Don't underestimate the warm up & down either it really does stop a lot of soreness when you start out.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 3:57 am
Account Closed

Arrogance? Dunno. People do it though.

Originally Posted by co durham boy
The Meydan track is nice and flat and it's a good run .If it's the Wellman I'm doing it as well. Hoping for a sub 45 which is not bad for a fella my age

Just watch the overuse pain mate , it's so easy to get injured when you start out especially in the lower leg , calf / shin , achilles areas . Don't underestimate the warm up & down either it really does stop a lot of soreness when you start out.
Yeah, it's Meydan, just googled and think it is the Wellman one. I'd like sub 45 but that's based on me knowing I could walk / jog it in that tomorrow if I had to. So I'll see what happens with training. Good luck.

Thanks - I'm warming up but not stretching as much as I should / could I don't think.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 4:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Arrogance? Dunno. People do it though.

Yeah, it's Meydan, just googled and think it is the Wellman one. I'd like sub 45 but that's based on me knowing I could walk / jog it in that tomorrow if I had to. So I'll see what happens with training. Good luck.

Thanks - I'm warming up but not stretching as much as I should / could I don't think.
Have a feeling his sub45 is for 10k...

I’ve not been able to get sub50 for 10k. It’s annoying but I’m not built for speed.

I'm getting jealous and may do the wellman now!

Last edited by Millhouse; Jan 11th 2018 at 4:48 am.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 5:36 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse

I’ve not been able to get sub50 for 10k. It’s annoying but I’m not built for speed.

Yes 10k . Im battling some achilles soreness now and it's difficult to shake but it's overuse and a lack of good rest , fatal flaw when you're a touch older.

Belive me im not built for speed either as i'm not far off 80kg and have to really work at it but the form is where the key is for me , if you have a decent core then with good form and a bit of structure your times will fall .

I got round the Creek Half at 1.55 but i totally underestimated that course . Garhoud Bridge and Makthoum Bridge and Shindhaga Tunnel , dead on my feet at the end . Mistake of not really taking note of course specifics and paid the price !
Old Jan 11th 2018, 6:06 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

I used to do quite a lot of 10K's when in Uni. Generally my times were around the 48 - 52 range although I did have one where all the planets aligned and I absolutely smashed it out in 42.5 mins. Been dining out on that ever since!

Kinda similar to my old man who's best marathon time was 2:52. He was a machine though. Started running at 40 and a few months later was knocking out 9 miles daily before breakfast. He had the Royal Marine never quit attitude ingrained into him though. I don't. 10Km is a decent distance, 26 miles is just OTT.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 6:10 am
Account Closed

That's embarrassing.

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Yes 10k . Im battling some achilles soreness now and it's difficult to shake but it's overuse and a lack of good rest , fatal flaw when you're a touch older.

Belive me im not built for speed either as i'm not far off 80kg and have to really work at it but the form is where the key is for me , if you have a decent core then with good form and a bit of structure your times will fall .

I got round the Creek Half at 1.55 but i totally underestimated that course . Garhoud Bridge and Makthoum Bridge and Shindhaga Tunnel , dead on my feet at the end . Mistake of not really taking note of course specifics and paid the price !
80kg.

You poor bugger.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.