Tennis

Old Jan 10th 2018, 4:04 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Tennis

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Enter a 5k race in 4 weeks time. You need to work to a goal.

Loads online (google premier online). I’ll keep you company on a 5k if you need it.

Nothing beats a group run. It’s so much better than just doing it with the misses and is really something to work to. Loads of people will be worse than you and many more better. It’s just great.
We have, start of Feb at Meydan.
Printed a plan and did a practice thing last night:
10min walk
2min run, 1min walk (x5)
5min walk

Solid 30min bit of work, lovely.

Struggling with shin muscles. Bizarre I know but good ****ing grief they tighten up to the point where flexing my ankle is nearly impossible.

Going to try rest tonight and stretch, walk, stretch.
Old Jan 10th 2018, 4:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
We have, start of Feb at Meydan.
Printed a plan and did a practice thing last night:
10min walk
2min run, 1min walk (x5)
5min walk

Solid 30min bit of work, lovely.

Struggling with shin muscles. Bizarre I know but good ****ing grief they tighten up to the point where flexing my ankle is nearly impossible.

Going to try rest tonight and stretch, walk, stretch.
That's a great strategy. I started with 30s, on 2 min off, then slowly switched it over, to finally just running.

As for the stiffness consider a foam roller. It hurts like hell though.
Old Jan 10th 2018, 6:08 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

That's a great strategy. I started with 30s, on 2 min off, then slowly switched it over, to finally just running.

As for the stiffness consider a foam roller. It hurts like hell though.
Yeah, the plans that go for 9 weeks take forever to get to solid running.
The 4 week one I found is really good and constantly building. Next session is:
5min walk
2min run, 1min walk (x7)
5min walk.

Just increasing the running bit by bit, the next is 3 or 5 mins running I think.

The only thing for me is the walk breaks are killer because whilst it's nice to get your breath and have a break, legs seize up a bit.

Still, I think this pain and tightness is from new usage where they haven't been used properly for years. I'm hoping so anyway because it's ****ing agony when they've gone. Maybe a rest day today will help.

Thought about and suggested a foam roller last night. Actually, genuinely considered using the rolling pin.
Old Jan 10th 2018, 7:13 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just getting back into jogging and doing something similar. Started walking at a decent pace.... then walking with the odd short run.... then 500m walk, 250m run, 250m walk repeat.... now at 500m walk, 300m run, 200m walk, 300m run repeat....

That's a circuit around my development (just shy of 6km) and takes me about 45 mins at the mo. Still pretty slow but building gradually.

Get you on the shins too. I think its critical to not go too big too soon. Let your legs get used to the idea that you're going to abuse them. Also make sure you do include rest days. I aim and am happy if I get 4 sessions in a week.
Old Jan 10th 2018, 7:21 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jam25mack
I'm just getting back into jogging and doing something similar. Started walking at a decent pace.... then walking with the odd short run.... then 500m walk, 250m run, 250m walk repeat.... now at 500m walk, 300m run, 200m walk, 300m run repeat....

That's a circuit around my development (just shy of 6km) and takes me about 45 mins at the mo. Still pretty slow but building gradually.

Get you on the shins too. I think its critical to not go too big too soon. Let your legs get used to the idea that you're going to abuse them. Also make sure you do include rest days. I aim and am happy if I get 4 sessions in a week.
Yeah, you're spot on.

Did tennis on Sat, run/walk Sun, long walk Mon, run/walk Tues. Need a day off from it really.

I'm doing like 8-9min /Km at the moment with walking and running. The future mother-in-law did a 5km in the UK in 45 minutes. I cannot lose to her, that's a 9min /km pace.

Might go out tonight and just see how long / how far I can run without stopping. Rest Thursday / Pub Thursday.
Old Jan 10th 2018, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, you're spot on.

Did tennis on Sat, run/walk Sun, long walk Mon, run/walk Tues. Need a day off from it really.

I'm doing like 8-9min /Km at the moment with walking and running. The future mother-in-law did a 5km in the UK in 45 minutes. I cannot lose to her, that's a 9min /km pace.

Might go out tonight and just see how long / how far I can run without stopping. Rest Thursday / Pub Thursday.
At school I used to run a 5k in 20ish minutes.

Don't think I could do that these days.

Why not swim? I swim 15km a week. 6 x 2.5km sessions (only Saturdays off). 2.5km at steady pace is about a hour. It keeps me trim. And it's great for the body, you're not abusing the shins.
Old Jan 10th 2018, 7:29 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
At school I used to run a 5k in 20ish minutes.

Don't think I could do that these days.

Why not swim? I swim 15km a week. 6 x 2.5km sessions (only Saturdays off). 2.5km at steady pace is about a hour. It keeps me trim. And it's great for the body, you're not abusing the shins.
The last time I did any running (not for sport) was at school. We rarely did the 4mile one but generally most were 1-2.5 miles. I hated it because it was just totally pointless PE.

Swimming is a good idea, my pool is shut, has been for about a year otherwise I'd be giving it a go to mix things up.
Old Jan 10th 2018, 7:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I want to play tennis.
Take up running
Go swimming
Old Jan 10th 2018, 7:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The last time I did any running (not for sport) was at school. We rarely did the 4mile one but generally most were 1-2.5 miles. I hated it because it was just totally pointless PE.

Swimming is a good idea, my pool is shut, has been for about a year otherwise I'd be giving it a go to mix things up.
I couldn't complete the 1500m at school. Now 10k is a relatively easy (although untested for a while as I only run when its warm).
Old Jan 10th 2018, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Ah..... fond memories of running with the cross country team through the rain in the chilly and wet Cambridgeshire countryside. Only in those days could I run 10k easily, still smoke half a pack afterwards and wolf down a couple Gregg's and feel totally fantastic.
Old Jan 10th 2018, 9:12 am
Account Closed

I couldn't complete the 1500m at school. Now 10k is a relatively easy (although untested for a while as I only run when its warm).
I'd love to get to the point where 5-10km is achievable, regular and part of life. I think.

Ah..... fond memories of running with the cross country team through the rain in the chilly and wet Cambridgeshire countryside. Only in those days could I run 10k easily, still smoke half a pack afterwards and wolf down a couple Gregg's and feel totally fantastic.
Oh goodness I never went near the cross country teams, I just stayed with rugby. Agree with miserable / chilly weather being pleasant though, we regularly got stopped running through the cathedral grounds for photographs with tourists.
Old Jan 10th 2018, 9:18 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody hell Millhouse and Scamp, you're turning into this pair:

Old Jan 10th 2018, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

I'd love to get to the point where 5-10km is achievable, regular and part of life. I think.

Oh goodness I never went near the cross country teams, I just stayed with rugby. Agree with miserable / chilly weather being pleasant though, we regularly got stopped running through the cathedral grounds for photographs with tourists.
Oh, yes. All the Japanese tourists snapping photos of us running through Cambridge. They always thought we were students at the colleges. There must be photos of my fine torso in photo albums all across Japan

It's been pointed out to me that all my primary sports were solitary ones. Cross country, tennis, squash, swimming. Not team sports. Wonder what that says about me?
Old Jan 10th 2018, 9:39 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Bloody hell Millhouse and Scamp, you're turning into this pair:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/V2hhD0nlw54/maxresdefault.jpg
Fine, fine gentlemen. Although those shorts....

Oh, yes. All the Japanese tourists snapping photos of us running through Cambridge. They always thought we were students at the colleges. There must be photos of my fine torso in photo albums all across Japan

It's been pointed out to me that all my primary sports were solitary ones. Cross country, tennis, squash, swimming. Not team sports. Wonder what that says about me?
Exactly the same.

Erm, it says you felt safer alone without the fear of being picked on by the bigger boys?
Old Jan 10th 2018, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Fine, fine gentlemen. Although those shorts....

Exactly the same.

Erm, it says you felt safer alone without the fear of being picked on by the bigger boys?
Hmm. No, I don't think so. I was taller than most of them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.