Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Tax in UK if I work few weeks

Tax in UK if I work few weeks

Old Feb 9th 2012, 7:13 am
Just Joined

Orde is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tax in UK if I work few weeks

Hi there, new guy here. I couldn't find a tax sub forum and I didn't want my question to get lost in the returnee's forum so I thought I'd just ask in here.

I left the UK 4 years ago, declaring non-residency on the way out. I work in various different countries now and my residency for tax purposes is Qatar. My company have just asked me to do a stint at the UK branch, perhaps up to 4 weeks.

Any idea of what consequences this will have for me? Does it affect my resident status? Will I have to pay tax for that period or indeed for my worldwide earnings for the year?

The HMRC website didn't help me, my searches keep bringing up similar sounding but different things.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 11:05 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax in UK if I work few weeks

Welcome to BE.

I have moved your post over to our Middle East forum. Perhaps some of the people who post in this forum will be able to help you...hopefully one or two have worked for short stints in the UK. Good luck.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 11:13 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Orde
Hi there, new guy here. I couldn't find a tax sub forum and I didn't want my question to get lost in the returnee's forum so I thought I'd just ask in here.

I left the UK 4 years ago, declaring non-residency on the way out. I work in various different countries now and my residency for tax purposes is Qatar. My company have just asked me to do a stint at the UK branch, perhaps up to 4 weeks.

Any idea of what consequences this will have for me? Does it affect my resident status? Will I have to pay tax for that period or indeed for my worldwide earnings for the year?

The HMRC website didn't help me, my searches keep bringing up similar sounding but different things.
If this is in the current tax year it won't be an issue, provided you spend less than 91 days in the UK and income is paid overseas. A different scenario from 06/04/13 as the Statutory Residency Test will come into effect, although we are still awaiting the final details.

Hope that helps.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 4:57 am
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

You have to show that the work you do in UK is incidental to the work overseas. i.e you are in UK attending meetings, training courses, getting briefed but not working. Basically the answer is no you cannot work in UK for 4 weeks. Best to have 4 weeks leave in UK and not mention work.