British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Supermarkets (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/supermarkets-905460/)

Made in Sheffield 1 Nov 5th 2017 2:21 pm

Supermarkets

We’re in the UK at the moment and after going to Asda and Morrisons it’s just showed me how crap Dubai supermarkets are.
It’s not just because of the booze and pork but the availability of other stuff is mind blowing.
I know there’s obviously no language barrier (even though we’re staying in Immingam lol) but to be able to ask for something and to be told exactly where it is is amazing.
This all sounds OTT but this is the first time we’ve been here since 2013 so we’re used to buying something from Park n Shop then going the week after to find it’s not there anymore or asking if they’ve got such and such to be met with a blank face which is a major pain in the arse.
Anyway, we’ve bought some beef Space Raiders, Roysters T Bone crisps and two jars of potted dog to bring back. Just need to find Scampi Fries and Cheese Moments.

Millhouse Nov 5th 2017 2:52 pm

Re: Supermarkets

Originally Posted by Made in Sheffield 1 (Post 12375181)
We’re in the UK at the moment and after going to Asda and Morrisons it’s just showed me how crap Dubai supermarkets are.
It’s not just because of the booze and pork but the availability of other stuff is mind blowing.
I know there’s obviously no language barrier (even though we’re staying in Immingam lol) but to be able to ask for something and to be told exactly where it is is amazing.
This all sounds OTT but this is the first time we’ve been here since 2013 so we’re used to buying something from Park n Shop then going the week after to find it’s not there anymore or asking if they’ve got such and such to be met with a blank face which is a major pain in the arse.
Anyway, we’ve bought some beef Space Raiders, Roysters T Bone crisps and two jars of potted dog to bring back. Just need to find Scampi Fries and Cheese Moments.

You shop like a ten year old with a five pound note.

Made in Sheffield 1 Nov 5th 2017 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12375198)
You shop like a ten year old with a five pound note.

I didn’t look for the pick n mix. I bought two scratch cards though.

scrubbedexpat141 Nov 6th 2017 3:58 am

I'd rather walk around every aisle four times before asking for help in a supermarket, regardless of the country...

Fossildog Nov 6th 2017 5:16 am

Was making some soup and had a hard time in Lulu asking where the Barley was. I suspect they thought I was meaning the island.

Millhouse Nov 6th 2017 5:19 am

Originally Posted by Fossildog (Post 12375696)
Was making some soup and had a hard time in Lulu asking where the Barley was. I suspect they thought I was meaning the island.

It's what internet access on a phone is for. You show pictures.

DXBtoDOH Nov 6th 2017 5:24 am

Spinneys / "Waitrose" aren't bad. They're not as comprehensive as UK supermarkets but you do get most of what you need. You just need to pay well over the odds.

Never been impressed by Park and Shop.

What I missed the most from the UK were tasty produce and good quality chicken.

mission Nov 6th 2017 5:52 am

Originally Posted by Made in Sheffield 1 (Post 12375181)

you are so right...I usually shop in Spinneys and the number of times an item is there one week and then not available the following week, is frustrating to say the least....and then you have to wait a good couple of weeks (if not more) until the item is back in stock.

mission Nov 6th 2017 5:53 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12375699)
Spinneys / "Waitrose" aren't bad. They're not as comprehensive as UK supermarkets but you do get most of what you need. You just need to pay well over the odds.

Never been impressed by Park and Shop.

What I missed the most from the UK were tasty produce and good quality chicken.

Park n Shop is actually OK for the fresh cut up produce

scrubbedexpat141 Nov 6th 2017 5:58 am

Originally Posted by mission (Post 12375718)
Park n Shop is actually OK for the fresh cut up produce

Agree on that...also their pork section is epic.

It's the hardest one to come out having not spent a fortune though...

jam25mack Nov 6th 2017 9:19 am

Originally Posted by mission (Post 12375717)
you are so right...I usually shop in Spinneys and the number of times an item is there one week and then not available the following week, is frustrating to say the least....and then you have to wait a good couple of weeks (if not more) until the item is back in stock.

There is a Zoom at the bottom of my office building. I go in and buy the same crisps every morning. They ran out. Started buying a different brand. They ran out. Moved onto brand 3. They ran out..... went postal!

Why are crisps in this country so ******* SHITE?

mission Nov 6th 2017 10:32 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12375823)
There is a Zoom at the bottom of my office building. I go in and buy the same crisps every morning. They ran out. Started buying a different brand. They ran out. Moved onto brand 3. They ran out..... went postal!

Why are crisps in this country so ******* SHITE?

i only ever buy Walkers...i don't like Lays at all

Brains1983 Nov 6th 2017 10:37 am

Originally Posted by mission (Post 12375858)
i only ever buy Walkers...i don't like Lays at all

what's the difference? Same company / manufacturing process I think?

mission Nov 6th 2017 10:39 am

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 12375864)

the flavour is just totally different, not to mention Lays are way more oily

scrubbedexpat141 Nov 6th 2017 10:42 am

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 12375864)

About 5-6dhs.