Superbowl LII

Old Feb 5th 2018, 8:51 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Superbowl LII

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Cricket is not played outside the handful of anglo or commonwealth countries where the British introduced the sport, like Pakistan. It shows no sign of expanding its popularity into fertile breeding grounds.

Which supports the observation that some sports seem to require a cultural indoctrination to enjoy. Americans watch American football for the same reason Pakistanis or the British watch cricket, not because American football on its own is particularly fantastic.

Some sports, like football, are easy to follow and easy to take up anywhere in the world. American basketball has gained large followings overseas for this reason too.

I've tried to watch American football a few times but always found it peculiarly complicated and slow and my American coworkers say the exact same about cricket. I suppose people from outside the culture who start watching American football do so either for the novelty of it or just because they'll watch anything featuring two teams playing against each other. But if you get greater pleasure from watching American football, then great for you
Good God. Why do you have to be so deliberately awkward about everything?

I enjoy watching Cricket and I enjoy watching American Football. The end. I'm sorry I opened a new thread, I'm sorry I thought someone else might be interested, I really wish I hadn't.
Old Feb 5th 2018, 8:52 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Arnold S
an excuse to get drunk, live of the reflected glory of other people's achievements or a combination of both.
That's basically all sporting spectators, right?
Old Feb 5th 2018, 8:54 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Cricket is not played outside the handful of anglo or commonwealth countries where the British introduced the sport, like Pakistan. It shows no sign of expanding its popularity into fertile breeding grounds.

Which supports the observation that some sports seem to require a cultural indoctrination to enjoy. Americans watch American football for the same reason Pakistanis or the British watch cricket, not because American football on its own is particularly fantastic.

Some sports, like football, are easy to follow and easy to take up anywhere in the world. American basketball has gained large followings overseas for this reason too.

I've tried to watch American football a few times but always found it peculiarly complicated and slow and my American coworkers say the exact same about cricket. I suppose people from outside the culture who start watching American football do so either for the novelty of it or just because they'll watch anything featuring two teams playing against each other. But if you get greater pleasure from watching American football, then great for you
In short- different people like different things.
Old Feb 5th 2018, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Good God. Why do you have to be so deliberately awkward about everything?

I enjoy watching Cricket and I enjoy watching American Football. The end. I'm sorry I opened a new thread, I'm sorry I thought someone else might be interested, I really wish I hadn't.
Pipe down kid. I can't hear you over that simmering passive aggressive tension you've got shouting in the background.
Old Feb 5th 2018, 8:58 am
Account Closed

Pipe down kid. I can't hear you over that simmering passive aggressive tension you've got shouting in the background.
It's not meant to be passive at all, I hope it's really really obvious that I think you're an arrogant, patronising ****.
Old Feb 5th 2018, 9:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

It's not meant to be passive at all, I hope it's really really obvious that I think you're an arrogant, patronising ****.
you forgot bitter
Old Feb 5th 2018, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Calm down you patronising little recruiter git. I asked you a simple question. What is it about American football that makes you enjoy it. It seems like a legit question. And what do you do but fly off the handle and call me all sorts of terms?

But I'll look on the positive side and assume it means that you're sticking to your plan to quit smoking
Old Feb 5th 2018, 9:54 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Millhouse
you forgot bitter
Thanks for that, totally forgot.
Old Feb 5th 2018, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Just glad the Pats lost. Don't like the same team winning all the time.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 3:08 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
Just glad the Pats lost. Don't like the same team winning all the time.
Agreed.....Celebratory rioting seems a bit much though. But I understand that's just Philadelphia?
Old Feb 10th 2018, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed.....Celebratory rioting seems a bit much though. But I understand that's just Philadelphia?
Not a fan of American football, but my mates are; according to them and online banter, Eagles fans have a stereotype for being rowdy and embarrassing the team.

In a related story, Giselle Bundchen has rightly been criticized for telling her kids that 'sometimes you got to let the other team win' , when they saw their daddy lose.