Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

The Staurday debate: Male Pattern Baldness

The Staurday debate: Male Pattern Baldness

Old Jun 19th 2010, 9:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Staurday debate: Male Pattern Baldness

Hi all,

Somehow ended up watching the football last night, big observation that Prince William is looking to be going very thin on top which started a bit of a debate about men balding and how its worst thing that can happen to a man apart from erectile disfunction.

Personally whether a man has a thick head of hair or completely bald I've never been bothered either way, its more what you do with it, ie combover vs shave it off. I'm not sure Prince William would be able to work a skin head but I would be tempted to tell him to get rid!

So whats everyones thoughts, are men really that worried about hair loss and if so why?
Attached Thumbnails The Staurday debate: Male Pattern Baldness-princewilliambig_468x519.jpg  
Old Jun 19th 2010, 10:22 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Staurday debate: Male Pattern Baldness

depends on the man, I think... and on the generation

My FiL has resolutely stuck with a comb-over, whereas Mr Kitty, who started losing his hair at 18 has never been in denial about it.

There's a chap who lives on my road who wears the worst NHS wig on the planet in a strange ginger-tinged brown (he's now in his 70s) because he lost his hair through illness as a young man and back in the day it was important for men to have luscious locks.
Old Jun 19th 2010, 10:26 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

The worst thing is to try and hide it, either with a comb-over, a wig or the doll's head transplant. A grade 1 or even bare blade clippers is the way to go!
Old Jun 19th 2010, 11:45 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
The worst thing is to try and hide it, either with a comb-over, a wig or the doll's head transplant. A grade 1 or even bare blade clippers is the way to go!
Yep, agree 100% with Lil'Jim. Case in point: Bruce Willis looked stupid and effete when he went through that phase where every camera angle had to avoid the obvious--once he got it shaved / close-cropped, we got big butch Bruce back. Just like me.
Old Jun 19th 2010, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

notice Harry Hewitt has a full head of hair!!!
Old Jun 19th 2010, 2:07 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saudiflares
notice Harry Hewitt has a full head of hair!!!
hahaha..don't start that discussion again!

anyway, being a baldy myself I have strong opinions on the subject. i started thinning in my late 20's and almost immediately went for the shaved look. fortunately it was trendy (still is to a certain extent) so didn't suffer in any way.

my dad had a combover in the 1970's, and I still regularly ask him if he was unaware that he looked like a tw@t. he's not big on the shaving it all of, although i did shave his head a couple of years ago and he looked about 15 years younger..

i started out using hairclippers and have finished quite a few over the years. remington is the only brand to last me longer than 6 months by the way! now however i have graduated to using gillette fusion and shaving foam. it's so much better and i only have to do it once a week to avoid the kiwi look!

I have never been particularly upset about not having a full head of hair, but also wouldn't have minded being able to change my hairstyle once in a while.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 6:54 am

Welivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by norsk

i started thinning in my late 20's and almost immediately went for the shaved look. fortunately it was trendy (still is to a certain extent) so didn't suffer in any way.

I have never been particularly upset about not having a full head of hair, but also wouldn't have minded being able to change my hairstyle once in a while.
Ditto on all of the above. Once is started thinning there was fook all I could do to stop it so cropped it in ealry 20's and never really changed. If anything it has just got shorter.... I use a beard trimmer to cut my hair, it takes longer but gets closer than normal clippers....

I did manage to persade my old man to go from the "monk" to a buzz cut about ten years ago and he has stuck with it.....
Old Jun 20th 2010, 6:57 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

I only once went the whole hog and used a gillette razor on my bonce...when I was living in Dubai. My head felt like an elephant's scrotum...probably.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 7:09 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
I only once went the whole hog and used a gillette razor on my bonce...when I was living in Dubai. My head felt like an elephant's scrotum...probably.
I know what you mean. The feeling of a newly shaved head is amazing...

However don't even consider doing it in a cold country without wearing a hat the first day. Shaving removes all the protective oils so you will never experience a colder head than after a shave...Of course this isn't really a problem down here in the desert..
Old Jun 20th 2010, 7:45 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

I had my head shaved when in an East African prison so it doesn't exactly bring back fond memories. Also, it didn't really suit me. You have to have the correctly shaped head to pull it off. I also dislike guys in their 50's with ultra long flowing hair, though. Mind you, I feel the same way about women at that age. One thing I cannot understand is why certain celebrities use Grecian 2000 or whatever to blacken their greying hair and yet have almost white beards. It looks daft to me.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 8:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I cut my own hair (I absolutely hate other people doing it) and the style I have will take me to my grave (due to the fact I'm a one trick pony when it comes to self cuts)... unless I go bald (family history suggests I won't) and then I'll be using numero uno on my clippers.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 3:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

millhouse, do you put a basin on your head and cut round it? or a mullet perhaps? we need pictures of just how bad it is?
Old Jun 20th 2010, 3:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
millhouse, do you put a basin on your head and cut round it? or a mullet perhaps? we need pictures of just how bad it is?
I painfully pull my hair though a sieve and run the clippers over it in hopes of getting a nice layered look.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 5:23 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
I painfully pull my hair though a sieve and run the clippers over it in hopes of getting a nice layered look.
that's awesome...i'd love to see that..
Old Jun 20th 2010, 6:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by norsk
that's awesome...i'd love to see that..
actually, I just use regular clippers.

Changed them for a new pair only last week - the previous pair put in almost 10 years* (not bad considering they cost me 20quid back then) - I now cut my son's hair (same millhouse special cut) so let's hope the new ones last 5 years.

* only replaced them as I accidently stepped on the "number 4"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.