Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

South Africa 1-47 Great Britain

South Africa 1-47 Great Britain

Old Aug 24th 2008, 1:06 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default South Africa 1-47 Great Britain

Its the final medals tally. Makes a nice change! Whoever is in charge of the RSA Olympics team wants shooting. A bloody disgrace in my view. As for GB, we managed to beat the Germans despite having been beaten by both East and West Germany in previous Olympics. Well done, girls and boys...well, mostly cyclists and sailors.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: South Africa 1-47 Great Britain

Originally Posted by lionheart
Its the final medals tally. Makes a nice change! Whoever is in charge of the RSA Olympics team wants shooting. A bloody disgrace in my view. As for GB, we managed to beat the Germans despite having been beaten by both East and West Germany in previous Olympics. Well done, girls and boys...well, mostly cyclists and sailors.

Olympics - Only sporting event where 2nd and 3rd are something to be proud of.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/feature/st...ectid=10528363
Old Aug 28th 2008, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jeeper
Olympics - Only sporting event where 2nd and 3rd are something to be proud of.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/feature/st...ectid=10528363
A trifle harsh?

You are competing with the best in the world,people who train hard and prepare for years at a time. Perhaps if you the hot favourite and finished 2nd or 3rd, you might be disappointed, but I'd be dead chuffed to walk away with a bronze or silver from an Olympics. In fact I'd be amazed seeing I can't do anything sporty!

Well done to them all, fantastic achievement.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 2:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Allow my man in Jo'burg to add his two-pennies-worth.........

But then let's look at our Olympic team.The biggest ever we have sent to an Olympic event - competitirs and officials/support staff. To win 1 silver (that's all - 1 medal)!! This is the worst we have done since 1934 - when we had but a handful of competitors. But then when the competitors' name tags for the opening ceremony arrive 5 days late, some team members had to move out of Olympic City for lack of funds, yet no officials did, where our swimmers (remember they were the incumbent gold medalists from Athens and current world record holder in the 4*100 meters mens relay) had to catch a bus at 04hrs00 to get to training by 06hr00, where Natalie du Toit, a paraplegic competiting in the main olympics, had to arrange AND move her own belongings to another venue so she coud get transport to train AND where she had to make her own way to the race......remember she has one leg,,,,,,,,,,,,and where our officials outnumbered our athletes in the closing ceremony.........................and where our team had no official sponsorship................... It is not hard to understand...................