Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

So we're leaving the EU including the Single Market

So we're leaving the EU including the Single Market

Old Mar 6th 2017, 9:58 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So we're leaving the EU including the Single Market

Originally Posted by ExpatAl
However you could also argue that Annabelle from Islington voted Remain because voting for Brexit is 'racist'.

There will be ignorance on both sides of the debate. Unfortunately the Leave side are vilified to such a degree...

It's a shame that some people still can't accept the result though. You would think that some of the Remainers wished that the whole process would fail just so they could tell you 'I told you so'
Because of course the Leave brigade accepted the original decision to join the EU without moaning and didn't form a political movement supported by all the right wing press barons which completely distorted all public discussion about the EU for decades...

Seriously, I'm sick of this "move on" bullshit. I don't know anyone who doesn't accept that the vote was clear and that means Britain is leaving. However, that does not mean those of us who believe this is an incredibly stupid self-inflicted wound won't keep making the case that this is wrong and won't keep pointing out the pitfalls of the various paths being described. Because it's clear that people voted for Leave with lots of different views about what that might entail and some of the options now proposed, if they had been put to a direct vote, would very likely have been defeated. Hard Brexit would be a disaster for the British economy and I'm glad that people keep pointing this out and why.

Just like the anti-EU brigade never shut up and never let up for all the years of UK membership, I think you can assume the same will be the future behaviour from those think Britain and Europe are better off when the UK is in the EU.
Old Mar 6th 2017, 10:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope
Hard Brexit would be a disaster for the British economy and I'm glad that people keep pointing this out and why.
Long given up bothering with this.
Old Mar 6th 2017, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

ExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of light

Seriously, I'm sick of this "move on" bullshit. I don't know anyone who doesn't accept that the vote was clear and that means Britain is leaving. However, that does not mean those of us who believe this is an incredibly stupid self-inflicted wound won't keep making the case that this is wrong and won't keep pointing out the pitfalls of the various paths being described. Because it's clear that people voted for Leave with lots of different views about what that might entail and some of the options now proposed, if they had been put to a direct vote, would very likely have been defeated. Hard Brexit would be a disaster for the British economy and I'm glad that people keep pointing this out and why.
I do think we need to 'move on' as pointing out hypothetical pitfalls and scenarios will accomplish nothing. I have grown increasingly impressed with Theresa May and trust that things will work out eventually even if there are initial difficulties.

The EU is falling apart, I'm glad we've jumped ship before it was too late!
Old Mar 6th 2017, 10:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

The EU is falling apart
Is that what the Express said?
Old Mar 6th 2017, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

ExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Scamp
Is that what the Express said?
I take all sources with a pinch of salt

I wouldn't be surprised if the EU was no longer within the next 10 years. Once we leave, the EU will be losing it's second biggest paymaster. With the appointment of Trump, Geert Wilders and even potentially Le Pen...

The increasing debt/unemployment issues within the PIIGS countries.

The EU is far from rosy...
Old Mar 6th 2017, 11:24 am
Account Closed

I take all sources with a pinch of salt

I wouldn't be surprised if the EU was no longer within the next 10 years. Once we leave, the EU will be losing it's second biggest paymaster. With the appointment of Trump, Geert Wilders and even potentially Le Pen...

The increasing debt/unemployment issues within the PIIGS countries.

The EU is far from rosy...
The EU is further than far from rosy, but the prospects outside of it aren't exactly overwhleming. We'll go from a 2.6 trillion dollar economy as part of a 19 trillion dollar, second placed globally, behemoth of an economy.....to a standalone country with no trade deals, no access to the single market (potentially) for a while at least.

I would so love to be wrong, because now it's not about being in or out, but the prospects of the UK, but I don't see anything other than a big long dip for the UK. The longer it goes the worse it gets with no end in sight and when businesses / people see no prospects they leave.

I'll happily be wrong. Very happily. But after 6 years here, I was sort of looking forward to returning next year with the Mrs. That's since gone on hold because we don't see the UK as an attractive proposition at the moment. As uncertain as Southampton's defence when Yoshida starts (that's very ****ing uncertain).
Old Mar 6th 2017, 12:48 pm
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

Long given up bothering with this.
I'm glad to see that's not true!
Old Mar 7th 2017, 4:02 am
Account Closed

I'm glad to see that's not true!
I can't help it.

Originally Posted by Baba Yaga
Ahh yes, because UK sees all the "2.6 trillion dollars", and we tax and gain from that. No we don't one bit. The only economy that matters to the UK is the UK Economy, the global 2.6 (or what ever the figure is) really doesn't matter as we don't gain from it. From memory when the great crashed happened in 2011/2012, we didn't care one bit about the EU, it was when will USA get back on its feet.

I don't really think adding the economy of Estonia & Romania to buff up the figures of the "EU" economy really shows anything other than potential fear mongering of what we are missing out. But as I said above, we gain nothing from it so who cares.

Ahh the Trade deals we will leave, i say what trade deals; the EU has barely any.
I'm struggling to make any sense of this.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 4:22 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

No point squabbling about the referendum. It's done and over with.

Will May call a general election? Interesting article from Wee Willie Hague in today's Telegraph that makes a convincing case for her to call for one. I highly respect him (and he was a Remainer, FYI).
Old Mar 7th 2017, 4:49 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Would you invest in a company that hasn't put out verified accounts for 40 years?

No, i thought not.

Eu is a big gravy train - look at kinnock in the 70s he hated it now him, his wife, daughetr and both sons are employed by it.

Pigs in trough, so much better out, and wanting to "fine" us to leave?

Good luck with that junker, it's a dinosaur and a money making machine for the select few, and don't get me started on the crazy laws we have to abide by even though the UK didn't want them in the first place.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 5:12 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Baba Yaga
Simple Terms

You are saying we are leaving the EU economy which is 2.6trillion, this is a bloated figure fake figure from an economy that we do not gain from. As we don't gain money from taxing it. It's a fictitious figure on an excel spreadsheet.

The only economy that matters is the UK economy, as that effects us. By stating that we are leaving the 2nd largest economy really does not matter, how does the economy of Romania or Estonia really, and i mean really affect the UK.

The only economy we really care on is USA, i should of also put China.
What? The EU economy is worth over 19 trillion dollars. Is that fake? Or just 2.6 because it's wrong?

You don't even know what you voted for. You read some headlines, got '17 straight bananas' as an answer from 2+2 and then ticked the 'leave' box.

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing
Would you invest in a company that hasn't put out verified accounts for 40 years?

No, i thought not.

Eu is a big gravy train - look at kinnock in the 70s he hated it now him, his wife, daughetr and both sons are employed by it.

Pigs in trough, so much better out, and wanting to "fine" us to leave?

Good luck with that junker, it's a dinosaur and a money making machine for the select few, and don't get me started on the crazy laws we have to abide by even though the UK didn't want them in the first place.
Would you close the doors at your high street shop, refusing to allow customers to buy on the hopes that the Chinese and Indians online would notice your new website?

No, I thought not.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 5:34 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

What? The EU economy is worth over 19 trillion dollars. Is that fake? Or just 2.6 because it's wrong?

You don't even know what you voted for. You read some headlines, got '17 straight bananas' as an answer from 2+2 and then ticked the 'leave' box.

Would you close the doors at your high street shop, refusing to allow customers to buy on the hopes that the Chinese and Indians online would notice your new website?

No, I thought not.
Who is closing shop???? Are you still drunk after the EE last night perchance?

You think that the german car makers (especially) aren't going to want a decent trade deal?

No, i thought not.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 5:46 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on your perspective, the EU is the world's biggest closed market.

And, of course, many countries flourish outside the EU. And even trade with the EU. It's a real shock

For me, economics isn't the end all be all of life. I do care about other things. If you only care about money then I guess there's virtue to staying in the EU.

Last, but not least, let us stop pretending we know anything about economics and economies and trade deals and trade treaties. Even proper economics barely understand 'em
Old Mar 7th 2017, 5:57 am
Account Closed

Who is closing shop???? Are you still drunk after the EE last night perchance?

You think that the german car makers (especially) aren't going to want a decent trade deal?

No, i thought not.
It was a very simple concept. Nevermind.

The UK has voted to leave the EU for a boat load of reasons which, for a large portion of leave voters are extremely unlikely to start and end with economic benefits.

I worry that the UK has cut off its nose to spite its face and that it doesn't come out of this as anything but isolated, stagnant and with a giant wall at Dover.

I've said before - I hope it does, but storming out the party to try and start new ones isn't easy, quick or cheap.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 5:59 am
...we killed the flame

No, i thought not.
This is one of Farage's lines from the campaign that I was shocked that nobody took on. Do you really think the UK demand for BMWs, Audis and Mercedes will be substantially affected by a 15% tariff (part of which will presumably anyway be absorbed by the manufacturers who have huge margins to play with)? Those premium brands will continue to enjoy their premium status and the demand will remain reasonably intact accordingly. This is aside from the fact that the UK is not a particularly significant market for those manufacturers.

On the other hand, how well will continental demand for UK-manufactured Hondas and Nissans and Vauxhall/Opel and Ford vehicles stand up to 15% tariffs? That is not to mention the substantial exports of auto parts from British UK manufacturers. Europe is a very significant market for those producers. Do you really think there is a premium for British cars or car parts in Europe?

No. I thought not.

PS How much is the Nissan "guarantee" going to cost UK taxpayers?
PPS Given that the Brexiteers are convinced that the EU is going down the tubes then I guess the currency will necessarily follow suit so presumably there won't be much advantage to the Brexit devaluation (aside from the fact that most of the materials required are imported anyway).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.