small island politics

Old Jun 6th 2017, 8:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default small island politics

Nope not Qatar, the other small island... UK

So it's not looking like May will get her landslide after her poor performance and U-turns. I must admit I do feel like she is a bit out of her depth now (which wasn't my original opinion of her).

Got to love that this song charted:

Old Jun 6th 2017, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

Arnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: small island politics

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Not just charted but got to #4 despite being banned from the Radio 1 playlist

These two videos sum up the election entirely. The Conservatives have been at their most conceited for years and finding out control over the majority of the media and 10x the budget is no longer enough.

https://www.facebook.com/TRTP2/video...c_ref=NEWSFEED
Old Jun 6th 2017, 9:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Arnold S
Not just charted but got to #4 despite being banned from the Radio 1 playlist

These two videos sum up the election entirely. The Conservatives have been at their most conceited for years and finding out control over the majority of the media and 10x the budget is no longer enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34odHCICaVU

https://www.facebook.com/TRTP2/video...c_ref=NEWSFEED
can't be wasting 25mins of my life with that drivel.

weather looked terrible though, glad I don't live there.
Old Jun 6th 2017, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

Arnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to behold

can't be wasting 25mins of my life
The point was that the tories (and their supporters) have underestimated how many people can.

https://www.facebook.com/UnityMarchU...c_ref=NEWSFEED
Old Jun 6th 2017, 10:10 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Nope not Qatar, the other small island... UK

So it's not looking like May will get her landslide after her poor performance and U-turns. I must admit I do feel like she is a bit out of her depth now (which wasn't my original opinion of her).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxN1STgQXW8
hopelessly out of her depth. hasnt answered a question in weeks, refuses to even accept questions from anyone not pre screened and didnt debate.

Weak and bloody wobbly.

Not that I'm any kind of corbyn fan but May with her dictatorial and totalitarian bent is a nightmare.

I'm also slightly confused that she thinks the Uk has been too tolerant since she was Home Secretary for the last 7 years.

I hope its hung or a very slim majority and that May has to resign.

Frankly Im all for chucking the whole lot out and starting again, cant think of any of them that stand out as public servants or statesmen these days.
Old Jun 6th 2017, 10:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by shiva
Frankly Im all for chucking the whole lot out and starting again, cant think of any of them that stand out as public servants or statesmen these days.
Exactly - they are both awful. Corbyn more awful, but May is getting worse by the day.

She's gone from thatcheresque stateswoman of stature, or a dottery old aunt who hasn't a clue in a matter of weeks. I think the former persona was a bit overplayed and wishful thinking by her backers.
Old Jun 6th 2017, 10:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Arnold S
The point was that the tories (and their supporters) have underestimated how many people can.

https://www.facebook.com/UnityMarchU...c_ref=NEWSFEED
the good news is that it's not a popular vote.
Old Jun 6th 2017, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

Exactly - they are both awful. Corbyn more awful, but May is getting worse by the day.
May was a disaster on the leader's QT specials. Empty soundbites and rhetoric only work if you have the acting skills to deliver like Blair or Cameron did.

And what's been Crosby's last ditch salvage plan? - wheel out Boris and a sack of dead cats.

Corbyn's came a long way considering he's had the toughest fight any party leader has had in years. He probably won't win but it's vastly stoked the public's appetite for policy led politics which was only ever his intention. Barry Gardiner and Emily Thornberry have done well enough to show they can form a government once the shit show that is Brexit gets on the way.
Old Jun 6th 2017, 11:05 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

She's gone from thatcheresque stateswoman of stature, or a dottery old aunt who hasn't a clue in a matter of weeks. I think the former persona was a bit overplayed and wishful thinking by her backers.
You know a few weeks ago I'd have agreed but I'd rather have corbyn than May now, it won't happen but she has been a ****ing disaster recently. I have zero faith in her ability to negotiate Brexit and I'm pretty sure Europe has watched this last few weeks and just been laughing.

It's also really pissing me off that she refuses to answer any questions and cant campaign other than corbyn this and corbyn that.

I'm not a fan of the tactic of basing a campaign on "I'm not them" anyway but I've yet to hear a single quantified policy come out of a tory mouth. It seems that nothing has been costed, nothing has a plan or an answer and yet that will all be much better than corbyn the boogeyman. Corbyn is a nutter but at least we know what the **** he believes in and wants to do.

Other than remove more freedoms and to try to control the internet in a way that technically can't actually be done i've no ****ing clue what May wants other than not corbyn.

And this strong and stable mantra is driving everyone I know nuts, shes spent weeks publicly hiding and u turning. its cognitive dissonance on an epic level. She deserves to lose but corbyn doesn't deserve to win.

I despair

Last edited by shiva; Jun 6th 2017 at 11:14 am.
Old Jun 6th 2017, 11:14 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
You know a few weeks ago I'd have agreed but I'd rather have corbyn than May now, it wont happen but she has been a ****ing disaster recently. I have zero faith in her ability to negotiate Brexit and I'm pretty sure Europe has watch this last few weeks and just been laughing
I fully agree, and I don't think May has realised the true extent of the way people feel the NHS is under threat, there are many places that will vote against the Tories because the other parties have campaigned FOR the NHS and Police being properly funded where as MY has come out with some platitudes but hasn't promised nay money, in fact is looking to sell of more and more. In the constituency where i will vote a candidate standing for proper NHS funding is currently in front in people's voting intentions.
Old Jun 6th 2017, 11:21 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't really sure about JC but he's had a very good campaign with popular policies and a more polished performance. Even Nigel Farage has commented on his sincerity. He's been up against a very biased media and has survived numerous attempts to overthrow him within the PLP. His main problem is his past and one or two of his shadow cabinet (Diane Abbott is terrible).

On the other hand, May and her party have just repeated the same Lynton Crosby stock phrases which have backfired and avoided real debate, concentrating on people rather than policy. They've taken it for granted they would win by a large landslide.

Still, I don't think Labour will win. A hung parliament is the best they can hope for. It all depends on the young voters turning out.
Old Jun 6th 2017, 12:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

June could well prove to be the end of May.
Old Jun 6th 2017, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

June could well prove to be the end of May.
The 1922 Committee have probably already started proceedings.
Old Jun 6th 2017, 12:32 pm
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

I was always a bit bemused about how May instantly transformed from a callow undistinguished Home Sec who had not impressed her civil servants by all accounts (and they are usually the savviest judges) into "the best bits of Thatcher". The lot of PM fell on her purely because she was the last one standing in the post-Brexit Tory leadership fratricide clusterf**k.

The overnight overhaul of her reputation seems to have been based purely on the fact that, upon assuming the leadership, the first thing she did was to brutally shaft old Gideon Osborne: in fairness, about the only thing that could unite the whole country in admiration. She gave lots of jingoistic nonsense speeches about Brexit that kept the nasty press pack sated. All that gave the impression that she was being smartly handled.

But, but... the speeches started to ring more hollow and became counter-productive, pointlessly antagonising potentially sympathetic counter-parties, and even silly on occasion: anyone yet able to explain "Brexit means Brexit"? Meanwhile her performance at PMQ reflected this empty sloganeering and she was anything but sure-footed, more bumbling Brown than confident Blair or all-conquering Thatch or even (unjustifiably) self-assured Cameron. I don't like the silly theatrics of PMQ but it did expose this weakness in May which has now been seen by everybody during the course of this ill-advised election campaign fiasco.

But that was always a matter of time anyway so I am not at all surprised. What has surprised me is how much I've warmed to Corbyn during this campaign. The only time I didn't vote Labour in the UK was when I lived in his constituency and protest voted for the fat Liberal lady they used to run (ok, maybe shuffle) against him. The Labour manifesto is a genuine attempt to engage people with policy, even if some of the policies are hare-brained. Unfortunately this election means that the replacement of Corbyn as Labour leader with a credible potential PM has been delayed yet again. I'd vote for Sturgeon if I could, especially given those whose hackles she raises the most on here...

Last edited by Miss Ann Thrope; Jun 6th 2017 at 12:43 pm.
Old Jun 6th 2017, 12:37 pm
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, and as we are speaking of small island politics, in case anyone had missed it:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...minister-elect

Mixed feelings about this one...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.