Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

So, what's changed in Dubai in the last decade?

So, what's changed in Dubai in the last decade?

Old Dec 31st 2017, 3:58 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default So, what's changed in Dubai in the last decade?

Hoping there's some of the old guard around to answer this...don't see much of the likes of The Dean, Meow et al. I left in August 2007 and am coming back in a few weeks. From what I can see on the net there's now more transport options and less construction ongoing. Are things easier, i.e. in terms of red tape around visas, renting and so on? I imagine the standard of driving is much the same...
Old Jan 1st 2018, 6:05 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So, what's changed in Dubai in the last decade?

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
Hoping there's some of the old guard around to answer this...don't see much of the likes of The Dean, Meow et al. I left in August 2007 and am coming back in a few weeks. From what I can see on the net there's now more transport options and less construction ongoing. Are things easier, i.e. in terms of red tape around visas, renting and so on? I imagine the standard of driving is much the same...
Well, since 2007 the Burj has been finished, the Palm has opened, there's all of fancy schmancy Downtown and the Dubai Mall, Business Bay, more housing estates outside the city where there was once only Arabian Ranches, the new canal walloped what used to be Safa Park, the beaches have been transformed with new walkways and kiosks, Marina is fleshed out. You'll find the city busier and feeling much bigger. Don't expect the laid back Dubai of old.

Demographics have changed as well. Many more expats from other European countries, more Americans, lots of South Americans now, the British dominance is less prevalent. Westerners don't live in Bur Dubai any more. Huge number of fancy new bars and dining scene is booming. Shopping is much better. Everything is more expensive except rents. Driving standards are actually much better. Lots of speed cameras.

In terms of red tape I think it's actually improved. It's still annoying and complicated but there's more coherence and a pattern to it. A lot of it has been pushed online now. BE Expat is still the best place for advice

If looking for a place to live I'd recommend the Greens. An oasis of sanity right on Sheikh Zayed and across from the Palm. Marina is too busy. TECOM is now Barsha Heights and it's ok, but the lack of greenery is tiresome after a while and I hate the road system around TECOM.
Old Jan 1st 2018, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Well, since 2007 the Burj has been finished, the Palm has opened, there's all of fancy schmancy Downtown and the Dubai Mall, Business Bay, more housing estates outside the city where there was once only Arabian Ranches, the new canal walloped what used to be Safa Park, the beaches have been transformed with new walkways and kiosks, Marina is fleshed out. You'll find the city busier and feeling much bigger. Don't expect the laid back Dubai of old.

Demographics have changed as well. Many more expats from other European countries, more Americans, lots of South Americans now, the British dominance is less prevalent. Westerners don't live in Bur Dubai any more. Huge number of fancy new bars and dining scene is booming. Shopping is much better. Everything is more expensive except rents. Driving standards are actually much better. Lots of speed cameras.

In terms of red tape I think it's actually improved. It's still annoying and complicated but there's more coherence and a pattern to it. A lot of it has been pushed online now. BE Expat is still the best place for advice

If looking for a place to live I'd recommend the Greens. An oasis of sanity right on Sheikh Zayed and across from the Palm. Marina is too busy. TECOM is now Barsha Heights and it's ok, but the lack of greenery is tiresome after a while and I hate the road system around TECOM.
This sums it up really in a nutshell . For me it's not as enjoyable as it once was but maybe that's because I'm nearly 50 and not 25 .

Still a good city though
Old Jan 1st 2018, 5:18 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH

Thanks for the reply. I don't remember it being particularly laid back in 2006/7, it was the height of the building boom, IIRC. Of course, you could always find places that were quieter and calmer, so I'm hoping there are still similar places to go to.

Greens is an interesting recommendation, I drove past it a lot last time. I lived in Springs with my family, but will be alone this time. I will probably look for a 1-bed flat/studio or even serviced apartment. I could end up travelling around the region with my new job.

I watched a tourist-targetted video on Youtube and the leisure / eating options look much more extensive and developed and there's now a metro and a tram system. Sounds good to me. I guess we'll see....I'm not far off 50 myself!
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 10:48 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

Everything is ridiculously over-priced, anywhere worth going is massively overcrowded, traffic is crap at certain times, stuff everywhere is half-built and taking forever to finish, twats abound, Skype is blocked...

...so, er, not much!
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 11:12 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

In the last 10 years I have arrived and contributed greatly as a great man. The city has improved simultaneously.

The two are clearly connected.
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 11:39 am
Excess Baggage

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope
Everything is ridiculously over-priced, anywhere worth going is massively overcrowded, traffic is crap at certain times, stuff everywhere is half-built and taking forever to finish, twats abound, Skype is blocked...

...so, er, not much!
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 11:39 am
Excess Baggage

Originally Posted by Scamp
In the last 10 years I have arrived and contributed greatly as a great man. The city has improved simultaneously.

The two are clearly connected.
I'm looking forward to maybe meeting the great man himself!
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 11:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I'm looking forward to maybe meeting the great man himself!
Likewise.
Glad you've got sorted. When you moving over?
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 7:41 pm
Excess Baggage

Originally Posted by Scamp
Likewise.
Glad you've got sorted. When you moving over?
13th Jan, all being well. Waiting for flight details.

Beer is more expensive. It's criminal.
Shocking! I assume that affects other beverages like wine and spirits as well?
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 4:53 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

13th Jan, all being well. Waiting for flight details.

Shocking! I assume that affects other beverages like wine and spirits as well?
You mean grape and house beverages I presume.
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 10:50 am
Excess Baggage

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope
You mean grape and house beverages I presume.
Oh yes, sorry. Is that what they call them now? Thinking of giving up the haram beverages anyway. Just suffered a 2 day hangover after a NYE party. Getting too old for it!

Serious question for anyone willing to answer, though...is it relatively easy to rent a furnished 1-bed flat/studio in Dubai and pay for it on a monthly basis? Last time I was with family and rented a villa, and had to do all that 2-cheque nonsense.
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 10:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Serious question for anyone willing to answer, though...is it relatively easy to rent a furnished 1-bed flat/studio in Dubai and pay for it on a monthly basis? Last time I was with family and rented a villa, and had to do all that 2-cheque nonsense.
yes, serviced apartments... 100k for a 1 bed in Tecom.
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 11:01 am
Excess Baggage

Originally Posted by Millhouse
yes, serviced apartments... 100k for a 1 bed in Tecom.

That's per year, yes? Quite pricey. I paid 120k for my 3-bed Springs villa.
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

That's per year, yes? Quite pricey. I paid 120k for my 3-bed Springs villa.
Yes. Same apartment unserviced on a monthly basis is probably 70k plus utilities?

Rents aren't too bad these days compared to 2007-2008. Still have a year's lease but with apartments can usually pay in 3-4 cheques.

If you want serviced properties I don't think you'd find anything less than 7k a month and that's deep in Al Nahda/Al Ghusais.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.