British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Sin Tax (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/sin-tax-902356/)

Millhouse Aug 23rd 2017 7:46 am

Sin Tax

Sin tax coming for energy drinks, coke and tabacco from October.

President issues decree on Excise Tax | GulfNews.com

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-boost-revenue

The levy is estimated to generate around 7 billion dirhams ($1.9 billion) in annual revenue for the U.A.E. government, according to WAM. Energy drinks and tobacco products will be subjected to a 100 percent tax, while the levy on soft drinks will be 50 percent, Al Khoori said.

DXBtoDOH Aug 23rd 2017 8:04 am

Re: Sin Tax

A pack of ciggies goes from 10 to 20 AED. That's still less than five quid and half the price as the UK. Don't see the Lebbos cutting back but the Egyptians will mightily complain. The Indians will delve into a black market.

A coke goes from 1.5 to 2.25 AED? Dang. That will screw up my budget.

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12322532)
Sin tax coming for energy drinks, coke and tabacco from October.

President issues decree on Excise Tax | GulfNews.com

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-boost-revenue

The levy is estimated to generate around 7 billion dirhams ($1.9 billion) in annual revenue for the U.A.E. government, according to WAM. Energy drinks and tobacco products will be subjected to a 100 percent tax, while the levy on soft drinks will be 50 percent, Al Khoori said.

Millhouse Aug 23rd 2017 8:19 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12322539)
A pack of ciggies goes from 10 to 20 AED. That's still less than five quid and half the price as the UK. Don't see the Lebbos cutting back but the Egyptians will mightily complain. The Indians will delve into a black market.

Well, given that I don't smoke or drink soft drinks it won't affect me.

However, I'm surprised by the numbers (if they are true) - 1.9$ billion of cash taken out of the economy to the government. That's quite significant - especially when the GDP of Dubai is only around $100bn

TheShed Aug 23rd 2017 8:22 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12322543)

However, I'm surprised by the numbers (if they are true) - 1.9$ billion of cash taken out of the economy to the government. That's quite significant - especially when the GDP of Dubai is only around $100bn

And then VAT in January. I know its a new tax but surely that will also remove some disposable from that GDP budget as well??

DXBtoDOH Aug 23rd 2017 8:27 am

A tax on coffee is what would affect me the most.

Why hasn't that been tried?

Millhouse Aug 23rd 2017 8:45 am

Originally Posted by TheShed (Post 12322545)
And then VAT in January. I know its a new tax but surely that will also remove some disposable from that GDP budget as well??

Been thinking about the 1.9bn to the government... it doesn't say over which time frame so probably this is some discounted perpetual amount. Probably insignificant on an annual basis.

Fully agree though with your point, at some point it will have to bite. You can't just take from the economy and expect no negative effects, unless you believe that it all gets reinvested back in and there is the multiplier effect.

Bahtatboy Aug 23rd 2017 9:59 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12322532)

That's poor syntax.

IKnowNothing Aug 23rd 2017 10:00 am

Originally Posted by TheShed (Post 12322545)

Will VAT be added when a freezone co sells to an LLC? I have absolutely no idea how on earth I'm going to sort that shit shower out.

Millhouse Aug 23rd 2017 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 12322588)
That's poor syntax.

I also wonder if they will start taxing the girls serving the cocks as well as the cokes.

Bahtatboy Aug 23rd 2017 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12322597)
I also wonder if they will start taxing the girls serving the cocks as well as the cokes.

And that would be an awful sin tax.
(Deliberately syntactically ambiguous.)

Bahtatboy Aug 23rd 2017 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12322597)

On a PAYE basis? Pay As You Enter...

scrubbedexpat141 Aug 23rd 2017 1:30 pm

Will you and DXBtoDOH stop hogging all the fun?

Irishbeekeeper Aug 23rd 2017 3:57 pm

so fags bought from duty free will be cheaper or more expensive now?
I dont smoke...anymore
I vape...yes I am cool, deal with it

scrubbedexpat141 Aug 24th 2017 5:05 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12322539)

So even diet 'soda' is covered.

Interesting.

IKnowNothing Aug 24th 2017 6:08 am

I'm pleased that booze isn't included.