Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Shots for South Africa?

Shots for South Africa?

Old May 13th 2008, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

fritztastic is just really nicefritztastic is just really nicefritztastic is just really nicefritztastic is just really nicefritztastic is just really nicefritztastic is just really nicefritztastic is just really nicefritztastic is just really nice
Default Shots for South Africa?

Hi,

I'm going to South Africa for work next month, and wanted to know if I need any shots, etc. I was raised in London, and had all the usually vaccinations, but not sure what's necessary for South Africa. If you have any experience, I'd love to hear it. Thanks!
Old May 13th 2008, 11:59 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shots for South Africa?

Not sure why you think anyone here would know.

You can get info about this sort of thing from the NHS Direct website.
Old May 13th 2008, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Meow

i've been - all I can remember is the malaria tablets. As Meow says though, a GP should be the one telling you.

I don't remember any injections though.

Where are you going to work? its a beautiful country.
Old May 13th 2008, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

fritztastic is just really nicefritztastic is just really nicefritztastic is just really nicefritztastic is just really nicefritztastic is just really nicefritztastic is just really nicefritztastic is just really nicefritztastic is just really nice

I'm going to a conference in Johannesburg. I've added a couple of days on to my trip to poke around a little bit. I'm really excited...I just don't, ya know, what to get malaria and die =)
Old May 13th 2008, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by fritztastic
I'm going to a conference in Johannesburg. I've added a couple of days on to my trip to poke around a little bit. I'm really excited...I just don't, ya know, what to get malaria and die =)
I'll make no bones - Jo'burg is where i came from and parts of it are - well, dodgy. You'll enjoy it though and you'll experience some sites. be careful downtown - the locals aren't all that welcoming to white people but don't assume everyone is bad.

I went back to Cape Town a few years ago and fell in love with it. Wanna go back next year now. Anyone thinking of going should just get it booked.

oh, make sure you get some biltong. Its the best thing ever. Gutted we can't get it in the UK. Do you get anything similar in Dubai? Its basically just cured and spiced beef. Steaks are also amazing there - in fact, most red meats are.

Shame you couldn't stay longer and get over to Sun City and the Kruger park.

Last edited by CeeBee; May 13th 2008 at 12:32 pm. Reason: spg
Old May 13th 2008, 12:30 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

niltong? You mean biltong?

It is sold in some places in the UK and yes, you can get it in Dubai.
Old May 13th 2008, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

niltong? You mean biltong?

It is sold in some places in the UK and yes, you can get it in Dubai.
yeah sorry, fat fingers (me).

you can get it in Selfridges over here - if you're willing to sell a kidney to pay for it.
Old May 13th 2008, 12:54 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fritztastic
I wouldn't worry about medical shots...but gunfire shots are another story. In all seriousness, you are extremely lucky to see J'burg at the company's expense. As for Cape Town, I agree (for once) with Ceebee...its a wonderful place to visit. In my ignorance I strolled around the city centre most nights during a stay a few years back and never once came across any violence, only hospitality and amazingly pretty women.
Old May 13th 2008, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lionheart
I agree (for once) with Ceebee.
its about time too
Old May 13th 2008, 1:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

helpful as usual.
maybe someone here might have actually visited there! stranger things have happened
Old May 13th 2008, 2:31 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
helpful as usual.
maybe someone here might have actually visited there! stranger things have happened
But why not ask on the African forum or would that have been too obvious?
Old May 13th 2008, 2:43 pm
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
helpful as usual.

Which bit of 'look at the NHS website' is unhelpful then?

Such a hypocrite. If certain posters had made the same comment you'd have been fawning over them. As usual.

Old May 13th 2008, 2:57 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles...&sectionId=154

friends of mine have visited recently and didn't require any vaccinations, I lived there as a kid and remember having to have tetanus before we moved there.
Old May 13th 2008, 3:48 pm
same shit different day

Slingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond repute

I rather like reading Meow's posts but hey I'll keep me nose out before the BE mafia come gunning for me.

I wouldn't worry to much about the shots for SA. if anything will happen to you the shots won't be of any use whatsoever. have a look at the SA section on here but wear your hard hat before you enter the room.
Old May 13th 2008, 3:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Slingshot
I rather like reading Meow's posts but hey I'll keep me nose out before the BE mafia come gunning for me.

I wouldn't worry to much about the shots for SA. if anything will happen to you the shots won't be of any use whatsoever. have a look at the SA section on here but wear your hard hat before you enter the room.
they are bug guns too!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.