British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Shooting in LAS VEGAS (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/shooting-las-vegas-904067/)

Irishbeekeeper Oct 2nd 2017 3:34 pm

Shooting in LAS VEGAS

And yet again a senseless act of terrorism by a 'lone gunman' and ofcourse the so called Islamic State to quick to jump on the bandwagon to claim it. Sometimes I feel they would claim an earthquake or a hurricane if they could as well.
But having said that, my prayers for the families of the ones left behind, may they find solace and comfort and strength to carry on. It IS going to be difficult in the first few months.
And heres a bet that that Orange Orangutan will side with the NRA / Gun Lobby and somehow put any form of Racist spin on it just to shore up his already depleting voter base.

Stephen Paddock named as Las Vegas gunman suspect - BBC News

mikelincs Oct 2nd 2017 3:41 pm

Re: Shooting in LAS VEGAS

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper (Post 12351836)
And yet again a senseless act of terrorism by a 'lone gunman' and ofcourse the so called Islamic State to quick to jump on the bandwagon to claim it. Sometimes I feel they would claim an earthquake or a hurricane if they could as well.
But having said that, my prayers for the families of the ones left behind, may they find solace and comfort and strength to carry on. It IS going to be difficult in the first few months.
And heres a bet that that Orange Orangutan will side with the NRA / Gun Lobby and somehow put any form of Racist spin on it just to shore up his already depleting voter base.

Don't worry, the orange on has already sent his 'warmest condolences' to victims and families, by tweet, of course.

Irishbeekeeper Oct 2nd 2017 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12351842)
Don't worry, the orange on has already sent his 'warmest condolences' to victims and families, by tweet, of course.

yeah I saw the 'warmest' bit and my blood was boiling, you know hate is a pretty strong word and I dont like using it too often, its a very very negative feeling to have inside you, but I do so hate this BUM!
I wish I can buy Twitter just so I can shut it down ONLY for the satisfaction of seeing that Bum squirm.

al dente Oct 2nd 2017 4:48 pm

It is a truly despicable act. What gave him the right? ****ing, ****ing arsehole.

Boomhauer Oct 2nd 2017 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper (Post 12351836)

Got to disagree it is "terrorism", since there is no political or ideological agenda/motive.

scrubbedexpat141 Oct 3rd 2017 4:43 am

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 12352229)
Got to disagree it is "terrorism", since there is no political or ideological agenda/motive.

How do you know?

Anyway. It's irrelevant what it is, it's tragic, endemic in a gun-filled society and heart breaking for the families.

Miss Ann Thrope Oct 3rd 2017 5:09 am

The meme going around on local whatsapp groups last night showed the photo of the gunman holding what is clearly a shot of a strong alcoholic drink with his Filipina girlfriend nuzzling up to him, captioned: "Daesh claimed this!"

Some comfort in the horror to have daesh so widely and publicly mocked, especially with that audience.

Millhouse Oct 3rd 2017 5:39 am

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope (Post 12352336)
The meme going around on local whatsapp groups last night showed the photo of the gunman holding what is clearly a shot of a strong alcoholic drink with his Filipina girlfriend nuzzling up to him, captioned: "Daesh claimed this!"

Some comfort in the horror to have daesh so widely and publicly mocked, especially with that audience.

I had her down as a Viet.

Deffo one of those creepy old guys you see in the Asian rat holes.

Irishbeekeeper Oct 3rd 2017 9:57 am

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 12352229)

What is the difference between a terrorist and a fanatic?

I would have thought anyone who uses violence as a means to an end would be called a terrorist

and anyone with political or ideological agenda / motive will be called a fanatic
throw in a religious angle and he/she becomes a religious fanatic

I somehow feel that the word terrorist has been hijacked by the powers that be for anything related to Muslim fanaticism

DXBtoDOH Oct 3rd 2017 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper (Post 12352481)
What is the difference between a terrorist and a fanatic?

I would have thought anyone who uses violence as a means to an end would be called a terrorist

and anyone with political or ideological agenda / motive will be called a fanatic
throw in a religious angle and he/she becomes a religious fanatic

I somehow feel that the word terrorist has been hijacked by the powers that be for anything related to Muslim fanaticism

The word terrorism has been around a long time. In the not too distant past it was the IRA or other separatist groups in various countries. Terrorism is violence committed in the name of an ideology. Someone who commits terrorism can also be called a fanatic.

The latest American nutter is not a terrorist as, for all we know, he did not commit his heinous crime in the name of an ideology, whether religious or political or Corbynism. He was just a nutter who went off the deep end. Like the nutter in Dunblane (or the seemingly thousand and one American school shootings).

Millhouse Oct 3rd 2017 11:00 am

Don't think his title really matters at this stage.

Although interesting that ISIS wanted to claim it.