Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Sex and the City in Abu Dhabi

Sex and the City in Abu Dhabi

Old May 29th 2010, 2:32 pm
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sex and the City in Abu Dhabi

By all accounts the film is shite, but the reviewers here are particularly virulent regarding the portrayal of abu dhabi, especially the women. See this from yesterday's standard:
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/film/r...-the-inside.do

My favourite praragraph being:
This is the point at which the last drop of old-style, nostalgic jollity associated
with Sex and the City drains away. It has become a neo-con fantasy, an Anne Coulter-like reversal of radical politics to suit the spirit of the age, where Western “values” must be imposed on savage nations. At the lowest point in the film, Carrie and her mates enter a room full of women in burkas, and the latter remove them, as if compelled by the power of moral example to reveal their own big-label gear, which they are wearing underneath, closer to their true selves. “We too can be American, like you, Carrie,” they seem to say.

Many reviews here calling it, amongst other things, racist.

I was under the impression that sex was the reason it wasn't allowed to be filmed in abu dhabi. Perhaps the authorities just read the script.
Old May 29th 2010, 4:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sex and the City in Abu Dhabi

Right then, so they didn't like the film?

The wardrobe is meant to be fabulous though!
Old May 29th 2010, 4:15 pm
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Right then, so they didn't like the film?

The wardrobe is meant to be fabulous though!
One critic's verdict on SATC2: "This year's worst release since the BP oil spill, with just as many f***ed-up birds."
Old May 29th 2010, 5:39 pm
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute

As a comitted fan of the series I'll probably go to see it. BUT, I really didn't like the last film.

As for fashion, some of the outfits are ok and the shoes are fab: but I honestly pretty much always thought carrie looked ridiculous. And from the EPK I saw of this film she's got worse. She looks like a little old wizzened witch of the north who has been fannying around with priscilla queen of the desert's dressing up box. True.
Old May 29th 2010, 6:20 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm more curious as to why Abu Dhabi?

Dubai would make much more sense. Dubai already has a reputation as a glam party town with all the fancy hotels and shops and bars.

But Abu Dhabi?

Abu Dhabi?

Abu Dhabi?
Old May 29th 2010, 7:22 pm
Just Joined

Twix will become famous soon enough

I read that although the movie is set in Abu Dhabi, it was actually filmed in Morocco.
Old May 29th 2010, 11:07 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twix
I read that although the movie is set in Abu Dhabi, it was actually filmed in Morocco.
got dragged to see it yesterday - utter tripe. A few interesting points in the script though, namely when a supposed sheikh says that "Dubai is finished" (ooo, that's bound to go down well!) and whatsherface who married the Jewish chap decides to go under her maiden name because "Er, it's the Middle East!"

They tried to give some insight (sooo the wrong word), or rather a nod of vague misunderstood recognition to cultural values here - whatsherface the old one was told repeatedly to cover up more, had her hormone supplements confiscated at the airport, got arrested for groping a chap - everyone found this hilarious in the UK cinema, but I didn't - and then dropped a stash of condoms in a souk and proceeded to give all the spectators the finger, which again, got a round of raucous laughter from the public who knows no better.

One thing that did make me smile was when wasserhorsieface's "private butler" told her that he could only afford to go back to India to see his wife every 3 months. If only she knew.

Anyhow, word is that Dubai refused to let it be filmed here... can't see why.
Old May 30th 2010, 4:36 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
got dragged to see it yesterday - utter tripe. A few interesting points in the script though, namely when a supposed sheikh says that "Dubai is finished" (ooo, that's bound to go down well!) and whatsherface who married the Jewish chap decides to go under her maiden name because "Er, it's the Middle East!"

They tried to give some insight (sooo the wrong word), or rather a nod of vague misunderstood recognition to cultural values here - whatsherface the old one was told repeatedly to cover up more, had her hormone supplements confiscated at the airport, got arrested for groping a chap - everyone found this hilarious in the UK cinema, but I didn't - and then dropped a stash of condoms in a souk and proceeded to give all the spectators the finger, which again, got a round of raucous laughter from the public who knows no better.

One thing that did make me smile was when wasserhorsieface's "private butler" told her that he could only afford to go back to India to see his wife every 3 months. If only she knew.

it sounds appalling.
Old May 30th 2010, 5:21 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Heh. I'm now interested in seeing the movie to see how wrong they got the reality of life out here. The chap seeing his wife once every three months - three years, ya mean.

If the movie was filmed in Morocco, why not have it take place in Morocco? Or Egypt. Abu Dhabi still makes no sense.
Old May 30th 2010, 7:13 am
Down and out

ctfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond repute

An equally damning review in the National http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs....73392240180705

My expectations would not have been high, but the snake charmer in Abu Dhabi airport and 'nee-kwab' sound spectacularly crap
Old May 30th 2010, 8:23 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
it sounds appalling.
yeah, I really feel the need to watch the entire series of Spartacus, Blood and Sand again to regain some kind of mental balance.

As for why Abu Dhabi... well, everything in that film is about brand and celebrity - I guess they had some major funding/ freebies from the big brands and heck, the cinema was packed and all those people are now thinking Abu Dhabi is The Place to Holiday - phwahhahahahaha.

In a way, an inanely superficial and vapid, but instantly "successful" film is the perfect medium to sell and inanely superficial and vapid holiday destination.
Old May 30th 2010, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
I'm more curious as to why Abu Dhabi?

Dubai would make much more sense. Dubai already has a reputation as a glam party town with all the fancy hotels and shops and bars.

But Abu Dhabi?

Abu Dhabi?

Abu Dhabi?
Yes - you are right, it does seem a strange choice but perhaps one of the large developers in AD thought it would be good publicity - maybe some baksheesh was on offer

I am planning on watching the film when I get back to UK so it should be a laugh.
Old May 30th 2010, 11:22 am
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute

In a way, an inanely superficial and vapid, but instantly "successful" film is the perfect medium to sell and inanely superficial and vapid holiday destination.
I thought it wasn't in Dubai!!
Old May 30th 2010, 11:26 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I shall probably download and watch it, largely so I can laugh at the ignorant Americans.

-
Old May 30th 2010, 12:33 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Seems that even Americans think the film is stupid.

http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/b...nt?oid=4132715

-

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.