Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Selling a car to someone with finance

Selling a car to someone with finance

Old Sep 7th 2014, 6:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Selling a car to someone with finance

Hello -

I've agreed to sell my car to the first person who showed interest as I couldn't be bothered dealing with people. The downside of that is that he wants to finance it. I've cleared my loan and the mortgage is released.

I've given my buyer the usual documents. My question is that assuming his bank wants to take security over my car - then I need to transfer it to him at or around the same time as the money is transferred. My question is how does this work? At somepoint, one of us will be naked - i.e. the money transfer has not happened, or the ownership has not passed.

As the person is from a country of questionable ethical values, I want the money before I transfer ownership. Is this possible? Will the bank wire the money before it has taken security?

Any advice duly appreciated.

(oh, and if anyone wants to pay 90k cash for 2013 Fortuner with 40km on the clock let me know - I'll jump ship tomorrow)

Scamp you have nothing to add to this thread so no need to comment. lol
Old Sep 7th 2014, 7:39 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selling a car to someone with finance

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Hello -

I've agreed to sell my car to the first person who showed interest as I couldn't be bothered dealing with people. The downside of that is that he wants to finance it. I've cleared my loan and the mortgage is released.

I've given my buyer the usual documents. My question is that assuming his bank wants to take security over my car - then I need to transfer it to him at or around the same time as the money is transferred. My question is how does this work? At somepoint, one of us will be naked - i.e. the money transfer has not happened, or the ownership has not passed.

As the person is from a country of questionable ethical values, I want the money before I transfer ownership. Is this possible? Will the bank wire the money before it has taken security?

Any advice duly appreciated.

(oh, and if anyone wants to pay 90k cash for 2013 Fortuner with 40km on the clock let me know - I'll jump ship tomorrow)

Scamp you have nothing to add to this thread so no need to comment. lol
if they are getting a loan tell them to bring cash surely?

actually now i think on it, the car would be in the banks name not the individuals so surely it'd be the bank you transfer ownership to at the RTA, that should give you some security no
Old Sep 7th 2014, 7:39 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I'm sure it's perfectly reasonable to not transfer ownership until the money is in your account.

Ask him to find out when the money lands and if there is any need for any pre-lim agreements to be in place for the bank to be happy that they will 'own' it?

If he quibbles then you could just give him the reg card to show you're committed to him buying it -he can't do anything with just that and without you?
Old Sep 7th 2014, 7:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I'm sure it's perfectly reasonable to not transfer ownership until the money is in your account.

Ask him to find out when the money lands and if there is any need for any pre-lim agreements to be in place for the bank to be happy that they will 'own' it?

If he quibbles then you could just give him the reg card to show you're committed to him buying it -he can't do anything with just that and without you?
Ah, thanks

Well, I am quite committed to selling it to him - unless the guy in the RTA offers me 1k more for it like he did the last time I sold a car.

Not keen to transfer until I see the greens to be honest.
Old Sep 7th 2014, 7:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Ah, thanks

Well, I am quite committed to selling it to him - unless the guy in the RTA offers me 1k more for it like he did the last time I sold a car.

Not keen to transfer until I see the greens to be honest.
Yeah I wasn't much use was I?

I know when I was considering selling mine a guy at work had sold his with loan outstanding to a cash buyer. He gave the buyer documents and the reg card until the money cleared to then pay off loan and transfer ownership. Now, I'm sure you have to trust someone but if you have the documents that the person with your money needs to do anything then you'd be a bit happier.

Has his loan been agreed / processed? Mine took a few weeks and ended up I had to go to HSBC with the owner of the car (the guy in the garage) together to sign stuff with the bank. Then we went to registration place and it all got done for me but what happened I've got no ****ing clue. The guy sorted everything.
Old Sep 7th 2014, 8:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yeah I wasn't much use was I?

I know when I was considering selling mine a guy at work had sold his with loan outstanding to a cash buyer. He gave the buyer documents and the reg card until the money cleared to then pay off loan and transfer ownership. Now, I'm sure you have to trust someone but if you have the documents that the person with your money needs to do anything then you'd be a bit happier.

Has his loan been agreed / processed? Mine took a few weeks and ended up I had to go to HSBC with the owner of the car (the guy in the garage) together to sign stuff with the bank. Then we went to registration place and it all got done for me but what happened I've got no ****ing clue. The guy sorted everything.
Interesting. As far as I can see he is starting the application now... probably a time waster then.
Old Sep 7th 2014, 8:19 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

You normally have to go through a showroom as they will give the bank the quotation (If its car loan) The dealer will them protect you both and keep car until he receives the cash from bank.

If he just gets a personal loan no need for any of that.
Old Sep 7th 2014, 8:21 am
Account Closed

Interesting. As far as I can see he is starting the application now... probably a time waster then.
Originally Posted by britexpat76
You normally have to go through a showroom as they will give the bank the quotation (If its car loan) The dealer will them protect you both and keep car until he receives the cash from bank.

If he just gets a personal loan no need for any of that.
It took at least a week for me to get loan sorted. The bank (as BE says) wanted an independent valuation done too etc.
Old Sep 8th 2014, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

Ethos82 has a brilliant futureEthos82 has a brilliant futureEthos82 has a brilliant futureEthos82 has a brilliant futureEthos82 has a brilliant futureEthos82 has a brilliant future

Tightwad Millhouse is selling a year old car? That's the worst time to sell a car.

Unless the Millhouses are finally leaving Dubai? Fess up, Millie. What gives?
Old Sep 8th 2014, 11:33 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ethos82
Tightwad Millhouse is selling a year old car? That's the worst time to sell a car.

Unless the Millhouses are finally leaving Dubai? Fess up, Millie. What gives?
Boooom. He's back.
Old Sep 8th 2014, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

Ethos82 has a brilliant futureEthos82 has a brilliant futureEthos82 has a brilliant futureEthos82 has a brilliant futureEthos82 has a brilliant futureEthos82 has a brilliant future

I'm stuck here till Wednesday on a work trip. Never realised how much I missed humidity. And dust. And glare.

Boooom. He's back.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 5:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ethos82
I'm stuck here till Wednesday on a work trip. Never realised how much I missed humidity. And dust. And glare.
It's missed you more.

I'm buying a 911.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 6:01 am
Account Closed

It's missed you more.

I'm buying a 911.
Awesome.

Now all you need to do is go to Double Deckers and argue with BritExpat about which Porsche is best.
Old Sep 14th 2014, 12:11 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome.

Now all you need to do is go to Double Deckers and argue with BritExpat about which Porsche is best.
That wasn't me, if you remember we made love not war. Though the 911 is the only Porsche to have.
Old Sep 14th 2014, 12:41 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76
Though the 911 is the only Porsche to have.
If you're a hairdresser.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.