Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Self Fulfilling Prophesies

Self Fulfilling Prophesies

Old Dec 7th 2008, 6:25 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute
Default Self Fulfilling Prophesies

Things are tough and we have a choice; talk them down or talk them up! Following is a story told to many students, maybe we can learn from it:

There was a man who lived by the side of the road and sold hot dogs. He was hard of hearing, so he had no radio. He had trouble with his eyes, so he had no newspapers. But he sold good hot dogs.

He advertised extensively telling people how good they were. He stood on the side of the road and cried: “Buy a hot dog, Mister?” And people bought.

He increased meat and bun orders. He bought a bigger stove to take care of his trade. He finally got his son home from college to help him out. But then something happened.

His son said, “Father, haven’t you been reading the newspapers? There is a big depression. The European situation is terrible. The American situation is even worse.”

Whereupon the father thought, “Well my son’s been to college, he reads the papers and he listens to the radio, and he ought to know.”

So the father cut down on his meat and bun orders, reduced his advertising and no longer bothered to stand out on the highway to sell his hot dogs.

His hot dog sales fell almost overnight.

“You are right, son,” the father said to the boy.

“We certainly are in the midst of a great depression.”

Life is what we make it!
Old Dec 7th 2008, 7:19 pm
It's what the eye see's..

Dutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud of
Default Re: Self Fulfilling Prophesies

Originally Posted by Roadking
Things are tough and we have a choice; talk them down or talk them up! Following is a story told to many students, maybe we can learn from it:

There was a man who lived by the side of the road and sold hot dogs. He was hard of hearing, so he had no radio. He had trouble with his eyes, so he had no newspapers. But he sold good hot dogs.

He advertised extensively telling people how good they were. He stood on the side of the road and cried: “Buy a hot dog, Mister?” And people bought.

He increased meat and bun orders. He bought a bigger stove to take care of his trade. He finally got his son home from college to help him out. But then something happened.

His son said, “Father, haven’t you been reading the newspapers? There is a big depression. The European situation is terrible. The American situation is even worse.”

Whereupon the father thought, “Well my son’s been to college, he reads the papers and he listens to the radio, and he ought to know.”

So the father cut down on his meat and bun orders, reduced his advertising and no longer bothered to stand out on the highway to sell his hot dogs.

Life is what we make it!
Good one Roadking,

Don't have a hat on, but hat off for this posting. Good one!!! With all the "Doom thinking" going on in Europe and the USA, a depression is shoved into everyone's lap if they want it or not. Adapt or go under is my motto, always followed it, and until today, always worked.

Dutchie
Old Dec 7th 2008, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

bimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud of

It´s always a subject dear to me, where your mind goes your body will follow they say.

Reminds of the story of a german brewer, when the depression hit them almost everything had to go..The stately home, the servants, the fancy clothes, the bank accounts, They actually paid off their bank loans in kegs of beer.. (very sensible German bank, in the midst of a depression you don´t wanna hold unsellable assets like stocks and bonds)

Funnily they saw the end of the depression rather prosperous as they had the whole family making, distributing and selling beer again.
And they all lived in the brewery so they had 100% control of everything, and their customers like the bars all paid cash, and the customers buying in the bars paid cash, and the brewery was able to pay cash so they got good prices...and in the end the banks where begging for their business again because they could deposit cash instead of just "paper money".

So my point is?...They always saw themselves as brewers, despite all the trappings of a posh family they never imagined that they wouldn´t succeed in a business they knew all about starting from square one.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 6:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Squirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond repute

Life is what we make it!
We really need people like you in this world to remind us what it's all about. I'm reading a very interesting book called Law of Attraction, which is just sort of taking further what I have been trying to focus on for a while. Looking at life as a series of opportunities is by far a better way of living life that existing from day to day on doom and gloom.

I really believe that if you can live your life honestly, respecting those around you and making the most of what life offers then you'll create your own success.

Your post has made my day - have a kiss and a hug.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 7:12 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Squirty Cream
We really need people like you in this world to remind us what it's all about. I'm reading a very interesting book called Law of Attraction, PAH, psuedo scientific clap trap, you may as well read the bible, Koran or any other renowned scientific textwhich is just sort of taking further what I have been trying to focus on for a while. Looking at life as a series of opportunities is by far a better way of living life that existing from day to day on doom and gloom.

I really believe that if you can live your life honestly, respecting those around you and making the most of what life offers then you'll create your own success.

Your post has made my day - have a kiss and a hug.
the gist of your post is ok but please please get rid of that book its utter nonsense
Old Dec 8th 2008, 7:24 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Life is what we make it!
a nice sentiment but the ostrich theory is what caused this global recession.
I'm not saying that we shouldnt try to beat it, but what happens in your story when,
His customers dry up as they lose their jobs, stop driving past his stall and buying hotdogs, when the bakery goes bust because the bank calls in its expansion loans, the alternative supplier has put costs up so it can survive so hotdog buns now cost more, the bank have also called in the farmers bank loans so there is no more local meat he's now buying cheap and nasty hotdogs, so of the remaining customers he loses more as his hotdogs now cost more and taste worse. His own bank are now looking at his profits and frankly they now want their loans back as those bigger stoves werent cheap, since he cant sell more hotdogs.......
oh and his son, now having not worked in a big firm cant get a job as his only experience is having worked in a failing hotdog stand business.

The sentiment of not giving in is admirable, the sentiment of "it will be all right jack" is exactly what caused this great big steaming pile of miasma in the first place
Old Dec 8th 2008, 8:12 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Self Fulfilling Prophesies

Reminds me of one that investors seem to tell people all the time:

It was autumn, and the Indians on the remote reservation asked their new Chief if the winter was going to be cold or mild.

Since he was an Indian Chief in a modern society, he had never been taught the old secrets and, when he looked at the sky, he couldn't tell what the weather was going to be. Nevertheless, to be on the safe side, he replied to his tribe that the winter was indeed going to be cold and that the members of the village should collect wood to be prepared.

But also, being a practical leader, he decided to seek advice from experts.

He went to the phone booth, called the National Weather Service and asked, "Is the coming winter going to be cold?"

"It looks like this winter is going to be quite cold indeed," the meteorologist at the weather service responded.

So the Chief went back to his people and told them to collect even more wood in order to be prepared.

A week later he called the National Weather Service again. "Is it still going to be a cold winter?" he asked.

"Yes," the man at the National Weather Service again replied, "it's going to be a very cold winter. The Chief again went back to his people and ordered them to collect every scrap of wood they could find.

Two weeks later he called the National Weather Service again. "Are you absolutely sure that this winter is going to be very cold?" he asked for a third time.

"Absolutely," the weatherman replied. "In fact, it's going to be one of the coldest winters ever!"

"How can you be so sure?" the Chief asked.

The weatherman replied, "The Indians are gathering wood like crazy."
Old Dec 8th 2008, 8:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
I'm not saying that we shouldnt try to beat it, but what happens in your story when,
His customers dry up as they lose their jobs, stop driving past his stall and buying hotdogs, when the bakery goes bust because the bank calls in its expansion loans, the alternative supplier has put costs up so it can survive so hotdog buns now cost more, the bank have also called in the farmers bank loans so there is no more local meat he's now buying cheap and nasty hotdogs, so of the remaining customers he loses more as his hotdogs now cost more and taste worse. His own bank are now looking at his profits and frankly they now want their loans back as those bigger stoves werent cheap, since he cant sell more hotdogs.......
oh and his son, now having not worked in a big firm cant get a job as his only experience is having worked in a failing hotdog stand business.

The sentiment of not giving in is admirable, the sentiment of "it will be all right jack" is exactly what caused this great big steaming pile of miasma in the first place
I'm pondering the possibility of hiring you as my counsel/lawyer/advisor...
Oh, and I love you...
Old Dec 8th 2008, 8:52 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva

I'm not talking about burying heads in the sand, although it can be fun depending on who the head belongs to.

All I'm saying is we have a choice. We can perpetuate the misery and add to the woes of the world, like some do; "The end is nigh!"

Or we can take a positive stance and attempt to make a difference. I'll do the latter, thanks.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 8:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not talking about burying heads in the sand, although it can be fun depending on who the head belongs to.

All I'm saying is we have a choice. We can perpetuate the misery and add to the woes of the world, like some do; "The end is nigh!"

Or we can take a positive stance and attempt to make a difference. I'll do the latter, thanks.
You must be one of those "Glass is half full" type of people, whereas Shiva appears to be "Glass is half empty" kind of person...
As for me, I drink out of a can...
Old Dec 8th 2008, 8:59 am
If I have to explain...

Originally Posted by Confucius
You must be one of those "Glass is half full" type of people, whereas Shiva appears to be "Glass is half empty" kind of person...
As for me, I drink out of a can...
Bottles, Conf, better from bottles.

Although cans are an adequate substitute when desperate.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 9:02 am
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

You make your own success in life, you make your own happiness.
Looking for or finding it don't happen.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 9:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I have bad experiences with bottles...
Old Dec 8th 2008, 11:44 am
If I have to explain...

Originally Posted by Confucius
I have bad experiences with bottles...
So I can see, whatever was in the bottle made all your hair fall out!
Old Dec 8th 2008, 11:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So I can see, whatever was in the bottle made all your hair fall out!
Diet Pepsi...They say you can even clean toilet bowls with that...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.