Scottish Independence

Old Sep 9th 2014, 8:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scottish Independence

Originally Posted by mikewot
Its the traffic jams that extend the rush hour to a ridiculous extent. Bypass has been spoken about for around 30 years but the purse strings are held in the central belt who have little or no interest in anything North of Cumbernauld where the Teuchters are. Irrespective that this is the region where wee eck's black goldmine is located.
i know i know.. been hearing rumours for a long long time.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 8:20 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
People will stand at the ballot or with a slip in their hand and not be able to forget that Salmond is a massive fat wanker.
Spot on...I'd expect them to be ahead if they had someone more likeable fronting them.

The whole thing still seems badly thought out to me and the potential long-term effects of splitting off would worry me if I lived there.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 8:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
I think we're both wrong. Regarding Commonwealth citizens, its:

Qualifying Commonwealth citizens resident in Scotland. This means Commonwealth citizens who either have leave to remain in the UK or do not require such leave, and are resident in Scotland.
Who can vote in the referendum on Scottish independence? | Yes Scotland

Which is broader than what I said, and narrower than what you said. Regardless, you're right in that (some) Indians resident in Scotland will be able to vote, which just makes it more ridiculous.
I would have thought that most of those that you refer to as "Indians" are of Indian 'origin' and are actually British citizens who happen to be resident in Scotland as any other British citizen.

How many Commonwealth citizens are resident in Scotland?? I have not looked up figures.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

shiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bipat
I would have thought that most of those that you refer to as "Indians" are of Indian 'origin' and are actually British citizens who happen to be resident in Scotland as any other British citizen.

How many Commonwealth citizens are resident in Scotland?? I have not looked up figures.

No, I was pointing out that Commonwealth citizens could vote, as can Irish, for various complex historical reasons.

Residency tests are the accepted norm in constitutional referenda, Quebec being the forerunner for much of this stuff (and Catalunya to follow (?) along Scottish lines)
Old Sep 9th 2014, 8:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiraz1
No, I was pointing out that Commonwealth citizens could vote, as can Irish, for various complex historical reasons.

Residency tests are the accepted norm in constitutional referenda, Quebec being the forerunner for much of this stuff (and Catalunya to follow (?) along Scottish lines)
Yes I understood, but my point was that they must be a very small number.
Although probably, there are more Irish that keep their original nationality.
Most others would no longer be Commonwealth citizens.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 8:48 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
Spot on...I'd expect them to be ahead if they had someone more likeable fronting them.
and yet hes the most popular uk political leader by a country mile, his approval rating is about 20 points ahead of anyone lese
Old Sep 9th 2014, 9:31 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat

Oh don't bleedin' start this again. No, when I say Indians (although it wasn't me who brought up Indians in the first place) I meant Indians, not British citizens of Indian descent. Just the same as when I said Poles, Germans and French I meant nationals of those countries, not British citizens of descent from those countries.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 9:34 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
and yet hes the most popular uk political leader by a country mile, his approval rating is about 20 points ahead of anyone lese
Not surprising if you look at the competition.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 10:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Getting a bit bored with all this Scottish Independence stuff. Time to cut them loose and wish them all the best with their new currency and EU application.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 11:44 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
Getting a bit bored with all this Scottish Independence stuff. Time to cut them loose and wish them all the best with their new currency and EU application.
And their own armed forces, lack of economies of scale, central bank, broadcasting corporation and embassies, and our border controls. But in particular their EU application, because without a doubt there will be some EU countries who won't want to allow a seamless transition for their own purposes.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 11:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
And their own armed forces, lack of economies of scale, central bank, broadcasting corporation and embassies, and our border controls. But in particular their EU application, because without a doubt there will be some EU countries who won't want to allow a seamless transition for their own purposes.
and if they did join the EU it would be interesting to see how they would deal with hordes of English students applying to Scottish Universities to study without having to paying fees.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 1:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

The First Sea Lord is very unhappy that he may have to move his Trident-armed subs. And the aircraft carriers which have no aircraft.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

shiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud of

After ensuring that Britain has no carrier aircraft for a decade Cameron is urging other NATO members to step up to the plate regarding Ukraine and Iraq/Syria
Old Sep 9th 2014, 1:29 pm
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by scot47
The First Sea Lord is very unhappy that he may have to move his Trident-armed subs. And the aircraft carriers which have no aircraft.
Yes, that would be a problem. What if he just refuses: war between England and Scotland?
Old Sep 9th 2014, 1:31 pm
Big Member

Originally Posted by scot47
An honest question - has the impact of this on local business near the naval yards been estimated?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.