Scottish Independence

Old Sep 22nd 2014, 11:03 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scottish Independence

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Are these people mentally ill? T
short answer is yes
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

alfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to behold

Now they cant even agree on the West Lothian Question.
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 11:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alfrombarking
Now they cant even agree on the West Lothian Question.
I don't think Labour can put forward any valid arguments. They just know they are screwed if they lose the votes of their Scottish MP's
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 12:22 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

"SNP becomes UK's third biggest party in wake of indyref defeat"

"According to the party's chief executive Peter Murrell, more than 22,000 supporters joined its ranks over the last four days, taking the number carrying a party card from under 26,000 to more than 50,000 - a leap of 92 per cent."
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

alfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
I don't think Labour can put forward any valid arguments. They just know they are screwed if they lose the votes of their Scottish MP's
That's true and I don't think stopping Scottish MPs from voting on devolved matters will work as anything other than a short term fudge. It'll lead to accusations of different classes of MPs, and will cause big problems if there is any disagreement on if an issue should be full-UK or non-Scot.

Perhaps they should split England into regions, but better ones than before - with some more attention paid to regional identity, but still with the aim of approximately equal populations. Give each one a vote on if it wants devolved powers (except London, which already has them). If they say yes, they get an assembly/parliament. If no then power remains at Westminster. There'd be some provision for being able to have future votes if there is sufficient demand for change.

Give each regional assembly/parliament the same powers, to remove any suggestion of favouritism.

Then reform the Lords. Make it 100% elected, with each region getting an equal share of the seats, and holding its own PR election to divide up those seats.
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 1:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

That's true and I don't think stopping Scottish MPs from voting on devolved matters will work as anything other than a short term fudge. It'll lead to accusations of different classes of MPs, and will cause big problems if there is any disagreement on if an issue should be full-UK or non-Scot.

Perhaps they should split England into regions, but better ones than before - with some more attention paid to regional identity, but still with the aim of approximately equal populations. Give each one a vote on if it wants devolved powers (except London, which already has them). If they say yes, they get an assembly/parliament. If no then power remains at Westminster. There'd be some provision for being able to have future votes if there is sufficient demand for change.

Give each regional assembly/parliament the same powers, to remove any suggestion of favouritism.

Then reform the Lords. Make it 100% elected, with each region getting an equal share of the seats, and holding its own PR election to divide up those seats.
You already have different classes of MP's. Scottish MP's get to vote on matters that do not concern their constituents. English MP's do not.
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

You already have different classes of MP's. Scottish MP's get to vote on matters that do not concern their constituents. English MP's do not.
I wonder what will be Cameron's next move
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 1:39 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder what will be Cameron's next move
If I was him I would rook to knight 4.
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 1:58 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Power sharing with Nigel Farage and the long overdue rebirth of the British Empire

N.
I'd vote for more pink bits.
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 2:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think, if some English regions receive powers and others don't, we will end up in a serious mess. I would give all English regions the same powers, and let them decide how they should operate.
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 2:20 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

I think, if some English regions receive powers and others don't, we will end up in a serious mess. I would give all English regions the same powers, and let them decide how they should operate.
How are you defining "region"?
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 2:28 pm
**** it we'll do it live

An It's only labour and conservative MPs that vote on both. The SNP have for some time abstained from any specific english issues
Old Sep 24th 2014, 4:11 pm
**** it we'll do it live

It's an appropriate place to put it even if it's time for this thread to retire

But the SNP have hit 60,000 members more than doubling membership since Friday and I cannot begin to describe how much this amuses me and the thought of how much it must piss off Scottish labour amuses me even more
Old Sep 24th 2014, 5:48 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

I don't imagine Scottish Labour gives much of a toss. 30,000 new members is a drop in the ocean, and those 30,000 probably weren't going to vote for Labour anyway. And if they care enough about Scottish independence to join the SNP, why didn't they bother joining *before* the vote? Not that it would have made a scrap of difference, of course, any more than it makes any difference now.

Rather telling to look at the electoral map showing the strength of the vote by council area. Says it all, really. The SNP's still got a lot of convincing to do outside of the deprived areas of Glasgow.

Old Sep 24th 2014, 6:05 pm
**** it we'll do it live

Originally Posted by Eeyore
I don't imagine Scottish Labour gives much of a toss. 30,000 new members is a drop in the ocean, and those 30,000 probably weren't going to vote for Labour anyway. And if they care enough about Scottish independence to join the SNP, why didn't they bother joining *before* the vote? Not that it would have made a scrap of difference, of course, any more than it makes any difference now.

Rather telling to look at the electoral map showing the strength of the vote by council area. Says it all, really. The SNP's still got a lot of convincing to do outside of the deprived areas of Glasgow.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...ps5cae0bc9.jpg
It would be funny if it wasn't sad that you posted that map, the same ones that's been touted round the media all week.

It fails to show things like a .2% difference in vote in one council is what won a no vote there. Not quite the whole picture you might say

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.