Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Scamp vs Landlord (Round II)

Scamp vs Landlord (Round II)

Old Jan 23rd 2013, 3:51 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Scamp vs Landlord (Round II)

Morning all,

So I eventually got the landlord to agree to the deal in mid November. Thanks again for your help on here.

Last night I was at the pub, kept getting a random Dubai mobile number ringing me. Obviously ignored it. Until it had rang 8 or 9 times with one call in the middle from my Landlord.

Rang the number back;

Mr Scamp?
Yeah, who is this please?
This is new owner of your apartment.
What?
I am new owner, Mr Landlord give me your number. I need DEWA bill, where are you?
I'm out, sorry, who and what are you?
I need DEWA bill.
No.

Landlord rings me.

Scamp, brother, how are you?
Landlord, what the **** is going on?
(by this time I've had a text from my mrs at home saying there is a bloke pacing the hallway on the phone, has been there ages).
He is relative, I sell apartment to him.
Right, so, why?

This is where it gets a bit more complicated. I point blank refused to go and meet this guy and give him anything until I have the contract sorted.

I paid again in November, mentioned the contract, his helper was away, forgot, got to Xmas, mentioned it but then I was away, only this week I text the helper asking for it, not a problem will get it over to you when I'm back from India next week. Cool, no problems.

NOW though, I've got no tenancy contract as it stands today (my fault for not chasing sooner), I"ve apparently got a new landlord, I've apparently got to give him a DEWA bill - not had one in ages, just pay online.

Questions:

1. What the ****?
2. What the **** can I / can't I do?
3. Is the most important thing to get the contract from current landlord signed and in my possession?
4. Is it then crucial to get it to Ejari? (sp?)
5. What the ****?
6. What changes? Anything? Should I just not be bothered by this?
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 3:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scamp vs Landlord (Round II)

No money until the contract is in your hands. Thems the rules.

Get the contract. Don't engage further or do anything until it is in your greasy palms.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 4:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
No money until the contract is in your hands. Thems the rules.

Get the contract. Don't engage further or do anything until it is in your greasy palms.
This is what I thought.

But then if he is selling the place, I'll need another one with the new owner?
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 4:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
This is what I thought.

most likely ... but cover your arse now. If the new guy wants you out, you need to defend yourself with the old contract.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 4:12 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

This is what I thought.

the new owner has to honour the contract with the previous landlord.
He would need to give you a years notice if he wants you to move out.
Ejari registration, as far as I know, you only need to do that if you want to sponsor a family member, as it's one of the required documents.
The selling thing happens a lot, and it's not really a big deal if the new owner isn't planning on moving in himself (and even if he is, you are 'protected').
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 4:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MataHari
... but breaded-fish-boy doesn't have the old contract...
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 4:23 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

... but breaded-fish-boy doesn't have the old contract...
but he's paid the rent for the upcoming year? So hopefully he's got proof of that or a receipt for those cheques from the LL and there have been communications beforehand about the terms and rental price...
I don't think it will be an issue as far as his 'rights' are concerned if it would come to taking it to Rera, but of course here you never really know...
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 4:42 am
Account Closed

most likely ... but cover your arse now. If the new guy wants you out, you need to defend yourself with the old contract.
Originally Posted by MataHari
He would need to give you a years notice if he wants you to move out.
Ejari registration, as far as I know, you only need to do that if you want to sponsor a family member, as it's one of the required documents.
The selling thing happens a lot, and it's not really a big deal if the new owner isn't planning on moving in himself (and even if he is, you are 'protected').
OK, Thanks to you both.

Get the 'old' contract sorted now, then be polite and helpful to new guy and all should be cool.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 5:09 am

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point

Why would the new guy need the DEWA bill?
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 5:18 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope
Why would the new guy need the DEWA bill?
This is the question I ask when I have contract in hand I think.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 5:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Maxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond repute

Another way of asking would be: "for what transactions would a new landlord need a DEWA Bill ?"
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 6:59 am
hmmmm...nice

This is the question I ask when I have contract in hand I think.
new landlords need to register with Dewa, I am guessing they ask for a copy of the bill of the current tenant as well....
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 7:43 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

It is compulsory to register your rental contract with Ejari. They're an arm of RERA and RERA Rent Committee is unlikely to help you if your contract isn't registered. 160 dits to register. You need a DEWA bill to register so are you getting a clue as to what they're trying to do yet?
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 7:45 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mikewot
It is compulsory to register your rental contract with Ejari. They're an arm of RERA and RERA Rent Committee is unlikely to help you if your contract isn't registered. 160 dits to register. You need a DEWA bill to register so are you getting a clue as to what they're trying to do yet?
I don't follow what you are suggesting.

I am assuming the bill is needed for the deposit etc to be released and new one paid for new owner?
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 7:47 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.bhomes.com/uae/ejarifaqs.xhtml

http://gulfnews.com/business/general...july-1.1038386

http://www.ejari.ae/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.