Sat Nat/GPS

Old Nov 13th 2017, 9:05 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Sat Nat/GPS

Try 2Gis - might do a UK version, it's google maps basically but offline so you don't need internet.
Old Nov 13th 2017, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
But it's also not a bad idea to have an actual map in the car, just in case technology fails. Network problems, phone failure, solar EMP...
oh jeeze not sure i'd be any good at actually 'reading' a map

Originally Posted by Brains1983
it's a small box that you put a data sim card into that then generates a wifi signal that your phone can connect to. you'll get them there, IBK is your man I would have thought.
ah so similar to the D-Link i am currently using at home to access the internet,
since i have no Du connection

Originally Posted by Scamp
Try 2Gis - might do a UK version, it's google maps basically but offline so you don't need internet.
is this an app that i would need to download?
Old Nov 13th 2017, 9:12 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
oh jeeze not sure i'd be any good at actually 'reading' a map
Ah, good point. As you were.
Old Nov 13th 2017, 9:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by mission
is this an app that i would need to download?
Yeah
Old Nov 13th 2017, 1:00 pm
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brains1983
correct. you could put a divert onto your UAE number, however every call you receive on that number will end up costing you a fortune when you get back here.

Pretty sure that you can download the map in advance so you don't need to connect to data to use it. or just get yourself a myfi device so you can keep your UAE number in it and use maps without consuming your data package.
Now that’s a good idea!
Old Nov 13th 2017, 1:22 pm
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

I swear I just had a dejavu, hand on heart!
Old Nov 13th 2017, 3:23 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on the car you hire you might not need to do anything. I was expecting to having to fork out £40 from Argos or wherever to get one, but when I got the car I found out that it had the whole of Europe in the car computer already.

Which was fantastic.
Old Nov 14th 2017, 4:08 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
Depending on the car you hire you might not need to do anything. I was expecting to having to fork out £40 from Argos or wherever to get one, but when I got the car I found out that it had the whole of Europe in the car computer already.

Which was fantastic.
Yeah, the majority do now, although I have had a few that don't and the hire car folks will tell you you're not allowed to use the one one on your phone which is BS.
Old Nov 14th 2017, 4:13 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by nonthaburi

Which was fantastic.
Normally rely on this but the last few I've had they must have taken the memory card out....bastards.
Old Nov 14th 2017, 4:53 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Normally rely on this but the last few I've had they must have taken the memory card out....bastards.
Seriously? Which shitey company do you use?
Old Nov 14th 2017, 5:30 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Seriously? Which shitey company do you use?
Latest was Hertz.
Before that Thrifty.
Before that Budget.

Think it depends on the car, they were all nicer cars (Merc / BMW)...I think shitter cars maybe it's harder to turn off / disrupt?
Old Nov 14th 2017, 6:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Latest was Hertz.
Before that Thrifty.
Before that Budget.

Think it depends on the car, they were all nicer cars (Merc / BMW)...I think shitter cars maybe it's harder to turn off / disrupt?
That's proper dirty. I use those guys too and generally have middle of the range cars. Never experienced that though.
Old Nov 14th 2017, 6:42 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper
I swear I just had a dejavu, hand on heart!
my IT knight in shiny amour
Old Nov 14th 2017, 6:57 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jam25mack
That's proper dirty. I use those guys too and generally have middle of the range cars. Never experienced that though.
It's a shitty trick indeed. Fortunately I just get the data bundle for my phone when abroad and use google maps anyway if needed.
Old Nov 14th 2017, 7:10 am
BE Forum Addict

It's a shitty trick indeed. Fortunately I just get the data bundle for my phone when abroad and use google maps anyway if needed.
Same here but its the principle of the thing.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.