Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Salutations, closings and sign-offs in correspondence

Salutations, closings and sign-offs in correspondence

Old Feb 1st 2017, 6:26 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Salutations, closings and sign-offs in correspondence

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I love all the passive aggression. reader probably doesn't even notice in this region.

I've taken on the Arab way when it comes to emails and I try to avoid them at all cost. They should only be used for 1) distributing information, 2) covering your arse, or 3) thank yous

As such ... I'm almost always a Hi ..Cheers.

I never expect a reply to emails and nor do I want them usually given the sole purposes I use them for.

Edit - I also try not to read them outside of hours - afterall no one ever sends good news by email. If there is a problem that needs more immediate solving then WhatsApp or the phone is the way. Emails requiring a respons can wait until the next day. It's a very hard discipline to enforce and I'm not perfect at it... But improving.
I wish, my whole life is email..... I must get and reply to 100+ in a day from several different countries. In Eng design you need the trail.....

I never do after hours emails though. I don't even have them on my phone. Screw that!
Old Feb 1st 2017, 6:31 am
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Hello (if I dont know the person)
Hi (if I do)

blah blah

best regards (if I dont know the person)
cheers (if I do)

and btw dont you just hate the people who will call you the second they hit send on an email saying 'oh sirrrrrrrrrrrr, I sent you an email sirrrrrrrrrr, can you respond sirrrrrrrrrrr' (to be read in an accent of your choice)
Old Feb 1st 2017, 6:54 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

I'm shocked and disappointed at the sheer lack of pedantry on this thread. What has happened to this bored?

Let me try and partly compensate... I think "kind" anything is highly inappropriate. Kindness is an attribute that is only significant when observed, never when claimed. If a person describes themselves as "kind" then I am pretty sure they are anything but. And this applies also to the "regards" or anything else that they might be offering.

I believe "Thanks" is a perfectly appropriate email sign off. It is relevant and functional in a communication that is meant to be those things without excessive formality or flummery. "Best wishes" is a bit more personal if there is a relationship that one wishes to sustain or nurture. "Thanks and best wishes" is really trowelling it on.

Of course, as Millhouse pointed out, all the joyous subtleties of English passive-aggressive signalling are completely lost on most of the recipients in this region and indeed in most of the world. After all, English is the second language, at best, for most people in the world and Australians.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 7:07 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope
Let me try and partly compensate... I think "kind" anything is highly inappropriate. Kindness is an attribute that is only significant when observed, never when claimed. If a person describes themselves as "kind" then I am pretty sure they are anything but. And this applies also to the "regards" or anything else that they might be offering.
Just imagine if you actually responded to someone's email telling them that 'kind' regards are highly inappropriate and....and....and....I think they'd be asleep before managing to delete it.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 7:10 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I'm shocked and disappointed at the sheer lack of pedantry on this thread. What has happened to this bored?
Totally forgot.

Appalling grammar (not just a bit off, everyone can make mistakes) and spelling mistakes in emails are just bizarre.

Especially the latter - it's a total joke to send an email in a semi or formal setting with spelling mistakes. It tells even the biggest idiot if they've made a error.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

I usually use "Hi" and sign off "<my initials>".

Every role I have refused to take a company mobile - when I leave the office I have left (however I have returned half-way many times just to resolve an issue!)
Old Feb 1st 2017, 8:24 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

I have some kind of automated fixed signature on work emails that I can't change, it says 'Regards'. Though I can edit it slightly before I send the email but I generally don't bother.

Dear ****wit,
You have royally ****ed up once again, and by association also ****ed up the plans of a number of normally competent individuals.

Please remove your calamity generating operation from my project post haste, and bring it somewhere else preferably far from here.

Regards
Old Feb 1st 2017, 8:30 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

This thread is making me a little paranoid. I don't really pay that much attention to how people sign off their emails and just use kind regards (thinking I was being pleasant), regards (if they have annoyed me) or best wishes (if I like them) without really thinking about it.

Are people over-thinking this?
Old Feb 1st 2017, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Oh dear me NO!

You can say a lot without actually saying anything with how you start and finish and email....
Old Feb 1st 2017, 9:38 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Oh dear me NO!

You can say a lot without actually saying anything with how you start and finish and email....
Yes but I think the 'kind regards' bit is overthought. It's just habitual.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 10:19 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

Yes but I think the 'kind regards' bit is overthought. It's just habitual.
Or, you just hadn't thought enough about it.....
Old Feb 1st 2017, 10:39 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

I hadn't thought about that ...
Old Feb 1st 2017, 10:43 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
I hadn't thought about that ...
I haven't got time to think about that.

Thanks Kind Best Regards Wishes Cheers,
Old Feb 1st 2017, 11:04 am
Bored liberal

Still better than the standard sign off from a colleague a few years ago. She always wrote, 'Assuring you of my best intentions at all times'.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 11:05 am
Bored liberal

If I could be bothered I'd check some of my past emails...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.