salary / Budget

Old Jan 17th 2013, 4:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default salary / Budget

Morning all,

I'm wondering if anyone here has porduced something / uses something to help create a monthly budget for your salary etc.

I'm not sure the format I want, I've got a spreadsheet that I can stick figures into but I've got no idea how much I spend on some shit. Golf for example this month must have cost me over 2000 dibs. But I don't know. I guess I want something to track my spending so I know where I spend money so can then produce a budget accordingly?

I know there are loads of apps but generally they are wank and/or a pain to use...unless anyone can recommend me a good'un?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 4:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Theseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: salary / Budget

I used to do it in excel too - I would work out my disposable income and divide it by the number of days left in the month to give myself a daily spendies budget, which would be used to things like drinking, lunch, sporting activities etc.

During the month if i overspent one week i would readjust the figures to give me a new daily budget.
It didnt help, I still had too much month at the end of my money.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 4:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Theseus
I used to do it in excel too - I would work out my disposable income and divide it by the number of days left in the month to give myself a daily spendies budget, which would be used to things like drinking, lunch, sporting activities etc.

During the month if i overspent one week i would readjust the figures to give me a new daily budget.
It didnt help, I still had too much month at the end of my money.
My thing is that I can go days without spending much at all, but then I take out 800 / 1000 dibs and it's ****ing gone in minutes.

I've tried tracking it before but the apps are never quite right. Maybe pen and paper is best.

Reckon I can only formulate a sensible budget to work out savings money once I know what I blow my wedge on.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 4:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Theseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond repute

In which case you need to keep a spends diary rather than try and work it out in advance. A notes app will do then you'll be able to export it and analyse it when you've done it for a while.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 5:11 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Use the back of an envelope.

Simply make a note every time you spend anything. Then at the end of the month you'll see where it went and where you can cut back, You'll need to do it for a couple of months to get a proper idea.

PM send with article link
Old Jan 17th 2013, 5:15 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Theseus
In which case you need to keep a spends diary rather than try and work it out in advance. A notes app will do then you'll be able to export it and analyse it when you've done it for a while.
Ok, will look at some apps and see what I find.

I've smashed a new thing together on excel and put in more detail than normal and it's all come out quite interesting.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 5:16 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

You could pay everything by debit card and that will give you a breakdown - i know a friend who takes out only 50KD for a week and then only returns back to the machine the following week - but saying that your sort of limited to what you blow your money on here !
Old Jan 17th 2013, 5:19 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by UKCityGent
You could pay everything by debit card and that will give you a breakdown - i know a friend who takes out only 50KD for a week and then only returns back to the machine the following week - but saying that your sort of limited to what you blow your money on here !
True, good point. Inevitably need cash for stuff though.

I've got a notebook. I'm just going to write down every day's spending, starting from today.

I think I'm going to cry about the coffee and lunch figures. At least fags are cheap.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 5:22 am

Welivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKCityGent
You could pay everything by debit card and that will give you a breakdown - i know a friend who takes out only 50KD for a week and then only returns back to the machine the following week
I run a similar way, we pay everything out at the start of the month, rent DEWA etc. What's left is mine, divide by numbers of weeks and draw that amount each Friday. If I spend the lot at the weekend it going to be a quite week, if I get to Thurs having had a quite week I'll either roll it over to next week or put it aside towards something larger I want ....

I know it not rocket science but it seems to work out ok most months...
Old Jan 17th 2013, 5:24 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Welivehere
I run a similar way, we pay everything out at the start of the month, rent DEWA etc. What's left is mine, divide by numbers of weeks and draw that amount each Friday. If I spend the lot at the weekend it going to be a quite week, if I get to Thurs having had a quite week I'll either roll it over to next week or put it aside towards something larger I want ....

I know it not rocket science but it seems to work out ok most months...
This is what I think I'm going to do.

Just can't decide whether to gamble on taking it out pre or post weekend.

AND...if I keep that figure down I'll have to build in the brunches / golf to the overall budget I guess.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 5:29 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
This is what I think I'm going to do.

Just can't decide whether to gamble on taking it out pre or post weekend.

AND...if I keep that figure down I'll have to build in the brunches / golf to the overall budget I guess.

Post.

For the first month, just keep a note of exactly what you're spending. Then the next month, take cash out at the start of each week and spend only that.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 5:42 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Meow
Post.

For the first month, just keep a note of exactly what you're spending. Then the next month, take cash out at the start of each week and spend only that.
Sweet, good shout.

BTW, don't worry BEr's I'm not destitute or living off tins of beans, you don't need to hold a car boot sale to raise money to get Scamp a new shiny suit or pointy shoes... I just want to know what happens to my money and refusing to accept that 18dhs coffees 3 times a day makes a difference is starting to wear off.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 5:46 am

Welivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond repute

golf to the overall budget I guess.
Bit off topic but ....

Thats what made me join JGE ....

700-800 chips a weekend to play as non-memebr or guest meant I'd play twice and then be golf budgeted out for the rest of month. Now it's a one off fee factored into the monthly budget (set aside for next years fees) that comes out at about 475 a week based on 48 weeks @ a round a week....

Ok you still have to pay if you want to play essewhere but I don't do it that often, try to use Entertainer.

Also as a family guy the ease of getting a regular decent tee time as a member somewhere make my life easier ....
Old Jan 17th 2013, 6:00 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Welivehere
Bit off topic but ....

Thats what made me join JGE ....

700-800 chips a weekend to play as non-memebr or guest meant I'd play twice and then be golf budgeted out for the rest of month. Now it's a one off fee factored into the monthly budget (set aside for next years fees) that comes out at about 475 a week based on 48 weeks @ a round a week....

Ok you still have to pay if you want to play essewhere but I don't do it that often, try to use Entertainer.

Also as a family guy the ease of getting a regular decent tee time as a member somewhere make my life easier ....
How much is JGE if you don't mind me asking?

I've been playing at the Faldo after work which is great. Also been playing Jebel Helmet a lot. Meydan is way overpriced so not going back there.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 6:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Morning all,

I'm wondering if anyone here has porduced something / uses something to help create a monthly budget for your salary etc.

I'm not sure the format I want, I've got a spreadsheet that I can stick figures into but I've got no idea how much I spend on some shit. Golf for example this month must have cost me over 2000 dibs. But I don't know. I guess I want something to track my spending so I know where I spend money so can then produce a budget accordingly?

I know there are loads of apps but generally they are wank and/or a pain to use...unless anyone can recommend me a good'un?

Thanks in advance.
Do you mind me asking - are you failing/trying/succeeding to actually save something every month (to send back to UK to pay off debts, etc)? Start with the amount you are absolutely determined to save and send home, then work backwards.......... 'after this and this, I am left with AED 8,000' (or whatever) ........ then allocate it in advance: 'This month I will play golf every week....... next month, I will do something else'... etc..... etc.........

Last edited by The Dean; Jan 17th 2013 at 6:32 am. Reason: .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.