Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Rest in peace Dutchie...

Rest in peace Dutchie...

Old Dec 23rd 2008, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

USExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to all
Default Rest in peace Dutchie...

Hi everyone,

I know this piece of text actually doesn't belong on here. But I felt it necessary to explain what is / was going on, and as a friend of Peter Vermeer a.k.a. Dutchie apologize to those that he in the last few weeks of his illness insulted. To the people on here that didn't know him? Stop reading, it will just sound boring to you. To the few friends he made on here I think my attempts to explain might help.

And I quote :

A good friend of mine passed away this afternoon. To some known on this board known as Dutchie, to others by his real name Peter Vermeer. In Peter I have lost my best friend in life, a man that could just simply feel there was something wrong. A man that once wrote out a cheque when things went terribly, terribly wrong for me, just looking at me knowing it was okay. A man that offered me a place to stay when my own marriage hit the rocks. A man that watched a friend cry in true shame and just told the bar tender to leave the bottle behind. I can still hear his words “Talk to me John…”.

But I guess he just simply gave up on life itself after loosing what he called “My life’s buddy, that one girl that could always tell me I went to far. That one girl that could smile at me, put her hand against my chest and tell me to go back and correct my mistake. That one girl that would ask me to help someone in real need of it…” He was always in for a good joke, loved his corner seat at his local Amsterdam bar, his cigars, his whiskey’s. I’ll miss his phone calls at every god forsaken hour “When are you back in Holland old friend?” because time difference was a thing he never really could get used to. And his joke that every hooker in Amsterdam knew by heart “Girl… When I was young? And the air was still clean and the sex still dirty? And mini skirts and dresses couldn’t be short enough? Those where the days. Don’t waste your time on old junk like me now young lady…”

To his daughter Astrid I wish all the strength in the coming days, weeks, months and years. I’ll always be there if you need me, even if it means flying from one side of this planet to the other. To her unborn child I can only say that I can only imagine the pride Peter would have felt in holding you. If there was a parent that gave up everything for his daughter it was Peter. To see the sparkle in his eye’s when he would tell me “I’m going to be a grandfather soon John… And it’s a girl!!!” And when he told me he was carefully trying to straiten things out with his “Buddy” again, it made me happy. And yes, the telephone call a few months later at two in the morning “Hey John, want to be my best man for the second time? She said yes!!!”

But then life itself gave these three people a blow they weren’t prepared for, called death. I can still hear Karen, his wife, and my dear friend whispering “Hold me Peter, I feel so cold…” And when I left the room? Sitting in the dark while the hours passed I heard a man, a father, and his daughter, soon to be mother herself scream in pain when it was over, the words “Nee… Nee !!!! (No… No !!!!)” burnt into my brain for ever. What I, as a friend didn’t know or realise then, was that Peter gave up on life itself as from that moment onwards.

I guess his wild plans to leave Holland, the misuse of alcohol was his way of telling his daughter and friends “Go away, leave me alone and please just let me slide away...” So with the doors locked, and the photo’s of the two most important woman in his live lying in front of him, he ended it, not drunk and fully aware of what he was doing. If there is a god, I hope he let him slip away painless. If there was ever a man that paid the ultimate price for loving a woman it was Peter.

To many of you he was an absolute asshole, an arrogant Dutch guy that didn’t belong on here, a drunk, a foul with big plans that would never become reality. For that I as his friend would like to apologise to everyone on this board he insulted in his pain, this wasn’t the real Peter. I guess he screamed into the world wide web for this reason. To a small group, he was text on a computer screen that really tried to help. And when it worked? His remark “Just put €50 on your children’s savings accounts and it’s okay with me…” That was the Peter I knew, never forgetting the human element despite the line of work he was into. Never letting an opportunity to really help people that really needed help slip by him. To the real crooks out there he was a nightmare in human form, a pain in the butt that never ever gave up.

But as a friend I thought I would let a small human star sparkle one more time. Forgive me for that BE. To Peter I say “Where ever you are now my friend, keep the seat next to you and Karen in heavens bar empty for me okay? Open that a bottle of Glenmorangie you love so much. That in paradise never seems to empty and lets talk, drink and laugh again as the true friends we are, and always will be…” With the deepest respect towards someone I consider a real, and always far to humble human being. Rest in peace.

John Wittlock
The Netherlands

Last edited by USExpat; Dec 23rd 2008 at 3:50 pm.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 3:52 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rest in peace Dutchie...

Rip peter
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Rest in peace Dutchie .......my oh is wondering why I have tears streaming down my face...his post the other day did the same...
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

RIP Dutchie.

US Expat, thank you posting this tribute to yr friend
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 4:08 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

I can imagine that was as difficult and moving to write as it was to read.

RIP Dutchie.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

USExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to all

Thank you Commander, IndieG and Anna,

I don't feel really good at the moment, and sitting in Peter's house doesn't help much either. He always told me it was my house away from home while in Holland, but it feels cold and empty now. Give me a few days to settle things for his daughter and try to feel human again and I'll be back online.

John
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 4:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

banter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USExpat
Hi everyone,

I know this piece of text actually doesn't belong on here. But I felt it necessary to explain what is / was going on, and as a friend of Peter Vermeer a.k.a. Dutchie apologize to those that he in the last few weeks of his illness insulted. To the people on here that didn't know him? Stop reading, it will just sound boring to you. To the few friends he made on here I think my attempts to explain might help.

And I quote :

A good friend of mine passed away this afternoon. To some known on this board known as Dutchie, to others by his real name Peter Vermeer. In Peter I have lost my best friend in life, a man that could just simply feel there was something wrong. A man that once wrote out a cheque when things went terribly, terribly wrong for me, just looking at me knowing it was okay. A man that offered me a place to stay when my own marriage hit the rocks. A man that watched a friend cry in true shame and just told the bar tender to leave the bottle behind. I can still hear his words “Talk to me John…”.

But I guess he just simply gave up on life itself after loosing what he called “My life’s buddy, that one girl that could always tell me I went to far. That one girl that could smile at me, put her hand against my chest and tell me to go back and correct my mistake. That one girl that would ask me to help someone in real need of it…” He was always in for a good joke, loved his corner seat at his local Amsterdam bar, his cigars, his whiskey’s. I’ll miss his phone calls at every god forsaken hour “When are you back in Holland old friend?” because time difference was a thing he never really could get used to. And his joke that every hooker in Amsterdam knew by heart “Girl… When I was young? And the air was still clean and the sex still dirty? And mini skirts and dresses couldn’t be short enough? Those where the days. Don’t waste your time on old junk like me now young lady…”

To his daughter Astrid I wish all the strength in the coming days, weeks, months and years. I’ll always be there if you need me, even if it means flying from one side of this planet to the other. To her unborn child I can only say that I can only imagine the pride Peter would have felt in holding you. If there was a parent that gave up everything for his daughter it was Peter. To see the sparkle in his eye’s when he would tell me “I’m going to be a grandfather soon John… And it’s a girl!!!” And when he told me he was carefully trying to straiten things out with his “Buddy” again, it made me happy. And yes, the telephone call a few months later at two in the morning “Hey John, want to be my best man for the second time? She said yes!!!”

But then life itself gave these three people a blow they weren’t prepared for, called death. I can still hear Karen, his wife, and my dear friend whispering “Hold me Peter, I feel so cold…” And when I left the room? Sitting in the dark while the hours passed I heard a man, a father, and his daughter, soon to be mother herself scream in pain when it was over, the words “Nee… Nee !!!! (No… No !!!!)” burnt into my brain for ever. What I, as a friend didn’t know or realise then, was that Peter gave up on life itself as from that moment onwards.

I guess his wild plans to leave Holland, the misuse of alcohol was his way of telling his daughter and friends “Go away, leave me alone and please just let me slide away...” So with the doors locked, and the photo’s of the two most important woman in his live lying in front of him, he ended it, not drunk and fully aware of what he was doing. If there is a god, I hope he let him slip away painless. If there was ever a man that paid the ultimate price for loving a woman it was Peter.

To many of you he was an absolute asshole, an arrogant Dutch guy that didn’t belong on here, a drunk, a foul with big plans that would never become reality. For that I as his friend would like to apologise to everyone on this board he insulted in his pain, this wasn’t the real Peter. I guess he screamed into the world wide web for this reason. To a small group, he was text on a computer screen that really tried to help. And when it worked? His remark “Just put €50 on your children’s savings accounts and it’s okay with me…” That was the Peter I knew, never forgetting the human element despite the line of work he was into. Never letting an opportunity to really help people that really needed help slip by him. To the real crooks out there he was a nightmare in human form, a pain in the butt that never ever gave up.

But as a friend I thought I would let a small human star sparkle one more time. Forgive me for that BE. To Peter I say “Where ever you are now my friend, keep the seat next to you and Karen in heavens bar empty for me okay? Open that a bottle of Glenmorangie you love so much. That in paradise never seems to empty and lets talk, drink and laugh again as the true friends we are, and always will be…” With the deepest respect towards someone I consider a real, and always far to humble human being. Rest in peace.

John Wittlock
The Netherlands
I am so very sorry for your loss, may you have the strength to guide you through this difficult time xx
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Squirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USExpat
Thank you Commander, IndieG and Anna,

I don't feel really good at the moment, and sitting in Peter's house doesn't help much either. He always told me it was my house away from home while in Holland, but it feels cold and empty now. Give me a few days to settle things for his daughter and try to feel human again and I'll be back online.

John
John, if you can keep Peter's memory alive then he will never be completely gone and in time, hopefully you'll take comfort in that.

SC
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

I am so sorry for your loss. RIP Peter.
Old Dec 24th 2008, 12:05 am
BE Enthusiast

bimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud of

Tragic...RIP Peter Vermeer

Odd how death walks amongst us with silent steps, and sad how sometimes the reaper is there as an answer to our prayers...
Old Dec 24th 2008, 2:39 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Rest in Peace Peter, your with Karen now. John your tribute to your friend is just heart breaking. I only ever knew Peter in cyberworld but had every intention of meeting him as his plans were to come to Dubai. Please pass on my condolences to Astrid. My friend lost her Mother when she was pregnant, the pain was immense but the birth of her son was still a very special experience.

RIP Dutchie
Old Dec 24th 2008, 3:33 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry for your loss. Oddly enough, one of the regular posters on my usual haunt passed away last week too. It certainly feels strange when somebody dies whom you have never met but who feels like one of your best friends. Thanks for taking the time and trouble to let us know what happened.
Old Dec 24th 2008, 3:43 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

well...I might be wrong...but to me it seems like a bit of a wind up...
Frans Wind, Dutchie and USExpat all write in exactly the same style...
Old Dec 24th 2008, 3:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
that would be really sick if it's correct...

MM, xx
Old Dec 24th 2008, 3:51 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
I honestly don't know how you could think that MH

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.