Renting in Dubai FAQs

Old Jul 21st 2015, 9:09 am
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting in Dubai FAQs

Originally Posted by mikewot
Yes. Rent can change every year since the law changed in 2007. Yea olde 'no change for first 2 years ' has not applied since 2007.
Thanks Mike, didnt realize that the rent increase in 2 years law was gone but why am I not surprised
btw edit :
I hadnt realized that at the top there was a selection of residential / office / warehouse etc so selected Office and recalculated and voila :

"The rent for a Office in Al Refaa is in the range 85 to 115 (AED/Sq.Ft).
Your rent is less than or equal to 10% of the average similar rent in the area
So you are not entitled to any increase of rent
Rent does not include water,electricity or any other fees."
Old Aug 31st 2015, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

MAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond repute

It's that time of year again. The landlord (local company) has contacted me and is wishing to raise the rent by 20% (again). The Rental Calculator says no increase is due.

I went to RERA last year, and won, this was followed by the landlord informing me that they will not be doing any maintenance for me - petty and immature.

I've sent them an email, asking for a decrease lol, so, looks like I'll be raising a case with RERA again in the near future.
Old Aug 31st 2015, 12:08 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MAV_DXB
I've sent them an email, asking for a decrease lol, so, looks like I'll be raising a case with RERA again in the near future.
Do not take any crap, the law is very clear and it's not guidance it is the law of Dubai. Also maintenance is clearly written into the law, LL responsibility, end of.

https://www.dubailand.gov.ae/English...legislation#/8
Old Sep 7th 2015, 6:57 am
Just Joined

andrewhudson is an unknown quantity at this point

Excellent
Old Sep 9th 2015, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

MAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikewot
Do not take any crap, the law is very clear and it's not guidance it is the law of Dubai. Also maintenance is clearly written into the law, LL responsibility, end of.

https://www.dubailand.gov.ae/English...legislation#/8
Thanks for the link Mikewot, very useful.

Mr L of L***** (the landlord) wants to meet me, I guess some form of intimidation, I've said that yes I'll meet him but not at their offices - haven't heard a word since so will call them to let them know I'll be off to RERA on Sunday.
Old Sep 9th 2015, 4:46 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Mr L will undoubtedly try the 'that law does not apply' or 'that law is old now' or 'we know better' or one of hundreds of other crap excuses. The law has not changed for many years now so these excuses are getting old and tired. They need to start sucking it up.
Old Sep 13th 2015, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

Just in case it's not mentioned above (I haven't checked), the RERA office has moved, it is no longer in the Dubai Municipality building - it's now in the Land Department building.

The Land Dept building is on the same road as the Municipality building, opposite the Emirates NBD buidling (the pregnant lady is it known as?). The Emirates NBD building is next door to the Sheraton Creek Hotel.

I first went into the RERA dept (in the Land Dept buidling) asked at reception what to do (reject the contract and deposit cheques) - they said take an 'Offer and Deposit' form' (on your right as you enter) then go to the Takhlees office to complete the docs - then back to the RERA, take appropriate ticket and sit and wait...

Facing the Land Dept building (with ENBD building behind you) there's a Takhlees office to your left, use the side door entrance, upstairs there's a guy that will translate docs, downstairs is where you can get all the relavent docs filled in/completed.
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 7:10 am
Forum Regular

Just thought I'd do a new post for this year, just in case anyone reads this and wonders if it's worthwhile going to RERA.

The landlord tried to raise my rent for this coming year (this year he went for a 12% increase), the Rental Increase Calculator said 'no', again I went to RERA, the judge sided with me, and the cheques are now waiting with them for the landlord to collect.
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

interesting....how long did the court process take and did you have to pay anything in order to take your landlord to court?
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mission
interesting....how long did the court process take and did you have to pay anything in order to take your landlord to court?
My landlord has done this for the past 3 years now, I think he's a bit simple!

I didn't actually 'go to court' - I went to deposit my cheques with RERA. Get your docs in order, they're checked, pay a small fee (only about 70AED - I can't remember). The docs get sent to a judge, go back 2 days later to see if you've 'won' or not.

It should have taken just 2 visits, but took 3 for me (I forgot to get something translated).

Getting various docs translated obviously costs, I think I spent around 350AED.

A very simple process.
Old Sep 27th 2016, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

My landlord has done this for the past 3 years now, I think he's a bit simple!

I didn't actually 'go to court' - I went to deposit my cheques with RERA. Get your docs in order, they're checked, pay a small fee (only about 70AED - I can't remember). The docs get sent to a judge, go back 2 days later to see if you've 'won' or not.

It should have taken just 2 visits, but took 3 for me (I forgot to get something translated).

Getting various docs translated obviously costs, I think I spent around 350AED.

A very simple process.
Ah I see, thanks.
Old Nov 6th 2017, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

Just for info, in case anyone needs it.

Depositing cheques at RERA (Land Department)

The landlord (local company) sent me an email trying to increase my rent, the RERA Index Calculator said "no" - told the company that no increase can be made as per the calculator, they went quiet for month, I chased them, they said to go 'legal'. So, yesterday I went off to RERA to deposit my rent cheques.

I took the following (3 copies of each):
Old contract
Passport ID/details page
Residence Visa page from passport
Emirates ID (both front and back of card)
Copies of my cheques
Screen shot of RERA Rental Increase Calculator
Copy of email from the landlord

All they took from that lot was 1 copy of my residence visa.

I also took my cheque book, passport and Emirates ID

To deposit your cheques you need the correct documentation in Arabic.

Next to the RERA entrance is a typing centre called Takhlees (it's too the left, if facing the RERA entrance, across a small single lane slip road thingy), in you go, to the desk and say you want to deposit cheques - they'll give you a ticket, sit and wait (I went straight a counter as it wasn't busy - counter 10) - they'll take their own copies and print out some documents for you (3 copies). This is what you take to RERA. This cost 200dhs.

As I didn't have Ejari - as the landlord is meant to do it (they're registered to do it, meaning I'm unable to - I've tried before) - it means I could either plead my ignorance with the RERA person, or take a doc (in Arabic) explaining that I don't have an Ejari because of the landlord. I ran into this problem before - pleading your ignorance doesn't work, so, if you don't have an Ejari, go to counter 14 or 15 and get the Arabic letter typed - cost 150dhs.

If your rent increase letter was in any language other than Arabic, you'll need to get this translated - counters 14 and 15 do this, cost, 150dhs

Now, off next door to the RERA offices. Past the information desk on the right hand side there's a ticket machine, hopefully they'll be a security guard there to help, if not: You need a ticket that has "registration Urgent Affairs (legal support)" - pressing the buttons you should be able to work it out (so, new case, urgent affairs, legal support (something like that). Once you've pressed the last button it dispenses a ticket, at the same time it also flashes a map on the screen with the counter numbers flashing - make sure counters 1&2 flash - if not, try again).

Take the ticket, go and sit and wait.

You'll go and see someone in either room 1 or 2 - hand over the docs, they may ask you a few questions. They then give you a slip of paper, and docs to take to the cashier.

The cashier will take the doc and give a slip of paper - this needs to be taken to the Emirates Islamic Bank (next door), off you go... get a ticket (Teller Transaction), sit and wait - pay 70dhs, back to the RERA offices, take the slip of paper back to the cashier - they then give you a copy of some docs - and tell you to see a chap at a desk just inside the entrance.

This guy needs to courier the docs to the landlord - so - you NEED the address etc of the landlord - but, you now need 2 copies of the docs that the cashier just gave you - so, back off to the Takhlees centre to photocopy the docs (2 copies) - 4dhs.

Back to the courier person, cost 50dhs.

Job done.
Old Nov 6th 2017, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Just for info, in case anyone needs it.

Depositing cheques at RERA (Land Department)

The landlord (local company) sent me an email trying to increase my rent, the RERA Index Calculator said "no" - told the company that no increase can be made as per the calculator, they went quiet for month, I chased them, they said to go 'legal'. So, yesterday I went off to RERA to deposit my rent cheques.

I took the following (3 copies of each):
Old contract
Passport ID/details page
Residence Visa page from passport
Emirates ID (both front and back of card)
Copies of my cheques
Screen shot of RERA Rental Increase Calculator
Copy of email from the landlord

All they took from that lot was 1 copy of my residence visa.

I also took my cheque book, passport and Emirates ID

To deposit your cheques you need the correct documentation in Arabic.

Next to the RERA entrance is a typing centre called Takhlees (it's too the left, if facing the RERA entrance, across a small single lane slip road thingy), in you go, to the desk and say you want to deposit cheques - they'll give you a ticket, sit and wait (I went straight a counter as it wasn't busy - counter 10) - they'll take their own copies and print out some documents for you (3 copies). This is what you take to RERA. This cost 200dhs.

As I didn't have Ejari - as the landlord is meant to do it (they're registered to do it, meaning I'm unable to - I've tried before) - it means I could either plead my ignorance with the RERA person, or take a doc (in Arabic) explaining that I don't have an Ejari because of the landlord. I ran into this problem before - pleading your ignorance doesn't work, so, if you don't have an Ejari, go to counter 14 or 15 and get the Arabic letter typed - cost 150dhs.

If your rent increase letter was in any language other than Arabic, you'll need to get this translated - counters 14 and 15 do this, cost, 150dhs

Now, off next door to the RERA offices. Past the information desk on the right hand side there's a ticket machine, hopefully they'll be a security guard there to help, if not: You need a ticket that has "registration Urgent Affairs (legal support)" - pressing the buttons you should be able to work it out (so, new case, urgent affairs, legal support (something like that). Once you've pressed the last button it dispenses a ticket, at the same time it also flashes a map on the screen with the counter numbers flashing - make sure counters 1&2 flash - if not, try again).

Take the ticket, go and sit and wait.

You'll go and see someone in either room 1 or 2 - hand over the docs, they may ask you a few questions. They then give you a slip of paper, and docs to take to the cashier.

The cashier will take the doc and give a slip of paper - this needs to be taken to the Emirates Islamic Bank (next door), off you go... get a ticket (Teller Transaction), sit and wait - pay 70dhs, back to the RERA offices, take the slip of paper back to the cashier - they then give you a copy of some docs - and tell you to see a chap at a desk just inside the entrance.

This guy needs to courier the docs to the landlord - so - you NEED the address etc of the landlord - but, you now need 2 copies of the docs that the cashier just gave you - so, back off to the Takhlees centre to photocopy the docs (2 copies) - 4dhs.

Back to the courier person, cost 50dhs.

Job done.
bl00d noora!