Renting in Dubai FAQs

Old Sep 29th 2014, 6:05 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting in Dubai FAQs

Originally Posted by Eeyore
So she'd have to monitor the situation after she moved out? Nah, she won't be bothered to do that. We just wondered if she'd be able to inform RERA or the RC *now* that she's being evicted on the grounds of selling, so that they'd be able to do the Ejari-blocking thing or whatever it is they do.
That would be too logical wouldn't it? A copy of the eviction notice is lodged with RERA at the same time as delivered to tenant and boom there is a block on new rental agreements being registered for two years...
Old Oct 13th 2014, 10:06 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Just stumbled over this interesting morsel from RERA which appears to close the 'selling' loophole

“A landlord has to give a notarized notice to the tenant to vacate the apartment if he/she is going to sell it. The tenant can ask for the memorandum of understanding, but if the owner does not present it, he/she can approach the dispute committee,” Marwan bin Ghalita, Chief Executive Officer, Rera, said addressing a seminar at Cityscape on Monday.

“If there is no valid reason, the committee is likely to extend your contract. In case, the owner does not sell, the committee will block it in the system so he/she can’t rent it and if the owner is going to use it for personal use then he/she cannot lease for two years.”

No eviction if no 12-month Dubai notary notice - Emirates 24/7
Old Oct 13th 2014, 12:57 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

The rental calculator seems to have gone missing in the recent upgrade to the Land Department website. I've spent 10 minutes looking, but no luck. If any of you guys find it please post the URL.
Old Oct 13th 2014, 1:01 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

When I was looking yesterday the whole website was down.
Old Oct 14th 2014, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Cypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to behold

It's a bit of a menace to find, but:

http://www.dubailand.gov.ae/English/...alculator.aspx
Old Oct 14th 2014, 10:07 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

Originally Posted by Cypselos
It's a bit of a menace to find, but:

Rental Increase Calculator
I swear that link wasn't there under Real Estate Services yesterday!
Anyway. Cheers Cypselos.
Old Oct 20th 2014, 11:45 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikewot
Just stumbled over this interesting morsel from RERA which appears to close the 'selling' loophole

“A landlord has to give a notarized notice to the tenant to vacate the apartment if he/she is going to sell it. The tenant can ask for the memorandum of understanding, but if the owner does not present it, he/she can approach the dispute committee,” Marwan bin Ghalita, Chief Executive Officer, Rera, said addressing a seminar at Cityscape on Monday.

“If there is no valid reason, the committee is likely to extend your contract. In case, the owner does not sell, the committee will block it in the system so he/she can’t rent it and if the owner is going to use it for personal use then he/she cannot lease for two years.”

No eviction if no 12-month Dubai notary notice - Emirates 24/7

Thanks Mikewot - one more bit to add when we eventually get to RERA - Still heard nothing :-)
Old Oct 21st 2014, 4:50 am
Account Closed

Rent prices in Dubai are stabilising due to an increase in housing supply, according to experts.
The average apartment rent has dropped by 2 per cent in the past three months, while the monthly cost of a villa has also fallen by 2 per cent, research by real estate consultants Jones Lang LaSalle showed.

The slowdown has been linked to new properties coming onto the market. JLL analyst Dana Salbak said: “The general sentiment is that prices are slowing down. “The market is stablising because there is new supply entering the market. “And rents have stabilised around Dubai this year because there has been lots of relocation in specific areas. The majority of people relocated to Business Bay and Jumeirah Lake Towers,” she said.
According to a JLL third-quarter report for 2014, the current housing supply is 373,000 units. Quarter Four will see an increase in 9,000 units and in the first quarter of 2015 there will be 22,000 units added.

This is likely to hamper attempts by landlords to hike their prices. A separate report from Asteco yesterday said the average apartment rent fell 2 per cent during the three months to the end of September, and the average villa rents dipped 3 per cent.

Oversupply of properties helps stabilise rent prices in Dubai, say experts
Old Nov 13th 2014, 8:33 am
Account Closed

For those who are interested in the Real estate laws in Dubai, including renting, they used to be on PDF on a webpage. DLD has now put them all into a whizzy booklet in this link https://www.dubailand.gov.ae/English...legislation#/0
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 5:59 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

not really surprised if this is happening and I do get the argument that it makes little sense for the agent to hold out for a few extra dirhams commission, but it is in their interest to avoid prices going down so...

https://www.facebook.com/7daysuae/posts/837261736297186
Old Dec 28th 2014, 5:05 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

And so......... After nearly 5 months in dispute we have a resolution.

I just stood my ground, refused to move out, told the landlord that I was in the right and if he wished to challenge me HE should file a case at RERA not me.

22nd December, he caved. He actually said that he could not be assed to file a case so lets keep it the same. I also found out from the building management that he wanted to rent to Russians as they pay the most, but once he realised there were more leaving than arriving I suspect he revisited his business model.

I am now staying in my apartment for the same rent and the same terms and conditions as last year.

Many many thanks to MikeWot for all of the advice and checking my notes during "the fight".

Just goes to show guys, if you stand up for your rights and investigate the law properly, it can work out well. Now if we can get everyone in Dubai to stand up, maybe this market could be brought back under control.
Old Feb 14th 2015, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

MAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond repute

I thought posted on this thread before, obviously not. I live in Bur Dubai, last September my rent was up for renewal, the landlord finally made an 'offer' in November (I think) - a 20% increase.

The rental increase calculated showed that no increase was allowed, thus rejected the offer. Further going backwards and forwards materialised new offers, 15%, 10% and I think even 5%. I was also invited in their offices to see the 'big cheese' I didn't go, and told them that the next day I'd open a RERA case, which I did - I had mentioned this during every conversation.

Duly printed Mikewot's notes and went to RERA, I didn't have to leave a deposit or fee etc other than the registration amount. I left my cheques with them.

Finally this last Thursday I went back to RERA to collect my new contract, on the exact same terms as my last. The delay was due to landlord's legal dept not pulling their finger out.

A member of the landlord's company did mentioned to me on the quiet that a few tenants inmy building had threatened to go to RERA but never did.

It's worth doing.

Mike, many thanks for the notes.
Old Feb 14th 2015, 1:49 pm
Account Closed

Afwhan! It is people like you , with the balls to challenge the LL for your rights under the law that make my little effort worthwhile
Old Jul 21st 2015, 8:54 am
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Ok issue :
My landlord owns a few buildings here in BurDubai and I have an office here. Last year they told me to evict on a months notice to which I made a case in Rera and obviously the LL started grovelling asking me to take the case back as he really had to renovate (which to be fair to him, he did do in 1 years time). Anyway, he offered me a similar office in another of his building at the same rent with a new lease agreement which I thought meant that for the next 3 years no rent increase right? But today he asks me to increase the rent (I havent asked how much percentage as I just put the phone down)
Went to he calculator and :
"The rent for a Studio apartment in Al Refaa is in the range 40000 to 50000 AED per year.
Your rent is 11% to 20% less than the average similar rent in the area
So you are entitled to a maximum increase of 5% ( 2000 AED per year)
Rent does not include water,electricity or any other fees. "
So does this mean even though this would be my first renewal I still have to pay an increase of 5%?
The amount does not matter but just need to be clear before I go to Rera etc
Old Jul 21st 2015, 8:58 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper
Went to he calculator and :
"The rent for a Studio apartment in Al Refaa is in the range 40000 to 50000 AED per year.
Your rent is 11% to 20% less than the average similar rent in the area
So you are entitled to a maximum increase of 5% ( 2000 AED per year)
Rent does not include water,electricity or any other fees. "
So does this mean even though this would be my first renewal I still have to pay an increase of 5%?
The amount does not matter but just need to be clear before I go to Rera etc
Yes. Rent can change every year since the law changed in 2007. Yea olde 'no change for first 2 years ' has not applied since 2007.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.