Qualifications

Old Jul 2nd 2012, 5:51 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Qualifications

Morning all,

Think I've brought this up before but can't be bothered to resurrect... so pardon me for that.

Want to have soemthing under my belt. Don't want to commit to and start a full degree just yet, but would like something that will potentially contribute towards one in a few years.

Always see Certificates / Diplomas etc but wondered if anyone had any experience of completing one part time, whether they provided an easier route to completing a related degree and any particular institutions here in Dubai I should be looking at.

Also - CIPD - Anyone done it / hate it / loved it / worth it / pointless?

Thanks

ScamponlyhasAlevelsandwantsmore.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 6:35 am
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qualifications

Originally Posted by Scamp
Morning all,

Think I've brought this up before but can't be bothered to resurrect... so pardon me for that.

Want to have soemthing under my belt. Don't want to commit to and start a full degree just yet, but would like something that will potentially contribute towards one in a few years.

Always see Certificates / Diplomas etc but wondered if anyone had any experience of completing one part time, whether they provided an easier route to completing a related degree and any particular institutions here in Dubai I should be looking at.

Also - CIPD - Anyone done it / hate it / loved it / worth it / pointless?

Thanks

ScamponlyhasAlevelsandwantsmore.
I know a couple of people who have done masters and the likes part time. They are a serious time commitment. Not sure about diplomas, but I imagine they'll be similar.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 6:37 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

Depends what you want to do the course for - if its work perhaps getting the experience is better - there are a few exceptions to this e.g. MBA or CFA
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 6:41 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Sort of work related.

The commitment aspect (and cost) put me off doing a full degree just yet. But if I can find the right foundation type qual then I'll progress that in a couple of years.

OU seem to not list the UAE as a place you can study...has anyone studied with them here?
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 7:01 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

OU seem to not list the UAE as a place you can study...has anyone studied with them here?
I looked into it and decided it really wasn't going to work.

You can study with the University of London pretty easily though.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 8:32 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Sort of work related.

The commitment aspect (and cost) put me off doing a full degree just yet. But if I can find the right foundation type qual then I'll progress that in a couple of years.

Yes I know this will make me sound like a wanker but what qualifications are required in recruitment? Or are you thinking of another industry after doing the course?
In my opinion a lot of the businessy type ones are a crock of shit, and without a basic degree etc in something they don't tend to add anything to the persons understanding or competency but perhaps look good on a business card.
How about something in the legal/contracts/administration field which might be quite useful and worthwhile.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 9:27 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Yes I know this will make me sound like a wanker but what qualifications are required in recruitment? Or are you thinking of another industry after doing the course?
In my opinion a lot of the businessy type ones are a crock of shit, and without a basic degree etc in something they don't tend to add anything to the persons understanding or competency but perhaps look good on a business card.
How about something in the legal/contracts/administration field which might be quite useful and worthwhile.
No, completely fair comment - none whatsoever, which is why I do this godforsaken job. (that's a bit unfair actually, it pays alright and isn't difficult...)

I've been looking around at lots of different verticals (for want of a better word) but hadn't considered legal/contract type avenues. Will explore.

So far, I've looked at Economics to do a degree but seems almost pointless given the path it may or may not lead, it just always interested me...either that or forging a career into the gloomy world of HR. Unless a drastic change of direction work-wise I have fairly limited options here.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 9:37 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

What are you interested in studying Scamp? Most people do far better is they pick a subject they are genuinely interested in. Does it have to be directly related to work?
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 9:40 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Meow
What are you interested in studying Scamp? Most people do far better is they pick a subject they are genuinely interested in. Does it have to be directly related to work?
No, but it seems sensible though?

I've always like Economics, Business of any sort and Geography randomly. But most things are geared towards some sort of work-related field.

Therefore, some sort of international business thing seemed appropriate to then be able to do do one of the cross-over type degrees later, "business and/with XYZ". It just sounds a bit pony doesn't it?

Not sure. It would interest me I just question (as someone else has) the credibility.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 9:42 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes life is too short to be wholly sensible. Try and enjoy what you do as well.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 9:49 am
Account Closed

Sometimes life is too short to be wholly sensible. Try and enjoy what you do as well.
Very true, but if I'm spending my hard earned cash then it may as well be somewhere in the middle of enjoyment and value....I think.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 9:55 am
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with Meow on this. Do what you would love to learn. Then working will seldom seem like work, will rarely bore you and you will fly through life with a smile on your face. (Unless you ever end up working with a load of Iranian bodybuilders and a possible arms dealer. But that's pretty rare)

Think about what you would love to do as a career if money weren't an issue. Because unless your ambition is "pack shelves" the money will come in and it will be enough. I know the bored mantra is do it for the dosh, but if you don't enjoy it along the way then life will be pretty miserable. I've never seen the point of retiring early - I'm not doing anything until after the summer and I'm bored shitless. Do something you love and everything else will fall into place.

Hairdressers are officially the happiest people in the UK, followed by chefs. At least they were three years ago. Certainly my hairdresser seems damn cheery. I'm not saying get yourself some scissors, but look into that Scampy heart and see what lies there.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

Very true, but if I'm spending my hard earned cash then it may as well be somewhere in the middle of enjoyment and value....I think.
Depends how old you are - perhaps do an MBA (with a good school name) - you will learn some basic overview of business, and give you time to investigate different career choices (and in many cases fast-track many diplomas/certs). More importantly you also get access to the alumini/blackbook which could
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 12:03 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by UKCityGent
Depends how old you are - perhaps do an MBA (with a good school name) - you will learn some basic overview of business, and give you time to investigate different career choices (and in many cases fast-track many diplomas/certs). More importantly you also get access to the alumini/blackbook which could
Too young for this just yet (just turned 24), although in the end, that's what I'd quite like to have.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 12:19 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Too young for this just yet (just turned 24), although in the end, that's what I'd quite like to have.
I wouldn't say you're too young, given you'd need to start prep soon and probably target a summer 2013 start... you're already older than the youngest guy in my class. The US schools are even younger.

They're damn expensive though. Mine completely wiped out my savings.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.