Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Proper Hardware Store in Dubai?

Proper Hardware Store in Dubai?

Old Jan 19th 2014, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

Bongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Proper Hardware Store in Dubai?

Am hoping to do a few handy things around the yard that may involve sawing and cutting timber, all very manly stuff.

Problem is that I can't find a proper hardware store that sells DIY stuff. I know that is due to the fact that most expats and locals will just hire someone to do any work, but where is the fun in that.

I still can't find somewhere that sells Joist hangers after about about 200 laps of Al Quoz, dragon mart, and even random areas of Satwa. I'm sure that Shangri la exists, so can anyone help me?
Old Jan 19th 2014, 11:16 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Proper Hardware Store in Dubai?

Have you tried Speedex? It's next to Oasis Centre and is as close to a B&Q as you'll get here.
Old Jan 19th 2014, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

Bongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Have you tried Speedex? It's next to Oasis Centre and is as close to a B&Q as you'll get here.
Yup, Speedex is pretty damn good for tools etc. Maybe I am just out of luck looking for timber framing supplies in a country that uses mainly masonry (and badly)
Old Jan 19th 2014, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Mogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Meow
They've moved.

You now need to go along the road directly behind Oasis Centre and drive towards Abu Dhabi - you'll find Speedex about about 1km up the road straight ahead at the T-Junction at the end (you need to go through a roundabout or two).
Old Jan 19th 2014, 12:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I'm assuming you need something more comprehensive than Ace?
Old Jan 19th 2014, 1:44 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Was gonna say that ACE has a pretty good selection, Dragon Mart if you're interested in 'economy'.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 3:45 am
Forum Regular

Yeah, thats right, I am looking for joist hangers and timber framing guff, to throw a few things together in the backyard.

It looks like I might have some luck with the Danube in Al Quoz.

It is a world of difference between here and Australia where our local hardware store sells everything under the sun. And what it doesn't sell, you can hire i.e. the concrete mixer I need.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 3:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Bongoman2
Yeah, thats right, I am looking for joist hangers and timber framing guff, to throw a few things together in the backyard.

It looks like I might have some luck with the Danube in Al Quoz.

It is a world of difference between here and Australia where our local hardware store sells everything under the sun. And what it doesn't sell, you can hire i.e. the concrete mixer I need.
I thought as much.

Danube - I guess if the one in Al Quoz isn't up to much there's a mega huge one as you come into Jebel Ali end of Dubai from Abu Dhabi direction.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 4:29 am
Forum Regular

Danube - I guess if the one in Al Quoz isn't up to much there's a mega huge one as you come into Jebel Ali end of Dubai from Abu Dhabi direction.
Thanks, I might check that one out too.

I shot an email off to Danube to ask if they stocked the items I needed and they called me right back to help me, and then emailed me back a location map.

They are off to a good start on their service so far. A rarity in Dubai.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 4:33 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bongoman2
Thanks, I might check that one out too.

I shot an email off to Danube to ask if they stocked the items I needed and they called me right back to help me, and then emailed me back a location map.

They are off to a good start on their service so far. A rarity in Dubai.
Oh fair play to them, always nice when companies here are useful!
Old Jan 20th 2014, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

I HATE ACE, they are more useless than a one legged man in a arse kicking competition!

While we are talking manly stuff does anyone know where I can get auto wiring guff? I need / should (after a year) to wire in the spots on the Jeep.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack
I HATE ACE, they are more useless than a one legged man in a arse kicking competition!

While we are talking manly stuff does anyone know where I can get auto wiring guff? I need / should (after a year) to wire in the spots on the Jeep.
I need an auto-electrician aswell. Car battery is flat due to my son filling the CD player full of 1dh coins. Turns out that after I turn the car off, it spends all night trying to eject the "cds". Took me a couple of days of jumping it in the mornings to realize what was causing the battery to drain... Any way it should be fun trying to explain to them over the phone I need them to remove the CD player and shake the coins out of it...
Old Jan 20th 2014, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Do hardware stores there even receive much traffic from the general populace, because I never got the feeling that the local or expat populace there were the sort to engage in DIY.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
Do hardware stores there even receive much traffic from the general populace, because I never got the feeling that the local or expat populace there were the sort to engage in DIY.
found myself thinking this yesterday trying to hang some 3 tonne curtains off a piece of plasterboard with a steel lintel 40mm behind it, if I was still in Dubai I could get a small man to do this for nowt

*not that you'd need to, it's easier off concrete
Old Jan 20th 2014, 12:31 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Brains1983
I need an auto-electrician aswell. Car battery is flat due to my son filling the CD player full of 1dh coins. Turns out that after I turn the car off, it spends all night trying to eject the "cds". Took me a couple of days of jumping it in the mornings to realize what was causing the battery to drain... Any way it should be fun trying to explain to them over the phone I need them to remove the CD player and shake the coins out of it...

Sorry, but that's hilarious.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.